Work in progress ...

Forum-related topics
Utisz

Re: Work in progress ...

Post by Utisz » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:10 am

Blorg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 am
About the reputation points - it seems that I can't leave them? Also, I'm divided about the points being displayed next to member's information, but I think having the top-rep members listed on the first page is a bit much.
The latter should be gone now. The former ... everything looks like it should be enabled so I will have to come back to that.
Blorg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am
I never really got any response to this idea but I like it so just throwing it out again -

Once we start generating content, it would be cool to weave posts into a type of blog along the lines of brainpickings.org. In other words, a more formalized/streamlined version of threads and the dialogues that happen within them. Normal people "get" blogs, even if they don't get forums, so it could serve as a stepping stone for them to reach this place and/or the main forum.
Not sure I get the idea. Looking at brainpickings.org, you mean like a communal blog where we post stuff and it gets to a page ordered chronologically?

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:10 am
Not sure I get the idea. Looking at brainpickings.org, you mean like a communal blog where we post stuff and it gets to a page ordered chronologically?
I mean that each post would be an essay-ish summary of an interesting thread (or maybe a few related threads). "x argues this because of that reason. y agrees, but adds something else. z disagrees with everyone." (but make it sound meatier, more formal, like brainpickings, with a primary emphasis on the ideas. analyze the similarities/differences between member viewpoints.) We often talk about things that the world in general is talking about too, but not in a format that drives traffic, whereas blogs are better at that. And at the end we can add "want to join the conversation? click here: intptbd."

sitka

Post by sitka » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 am

Blorg wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 pm
I mean that each post would be an essay-ish summary of an interesting thread (or maybe a few related threads). "x argues this because of that reason. y agrees, but adds something else. z disagrees with everyone." (but make it sound meatier, more formal, like brainpickings, with a primary emphasis on the ideas. analyze the similarities/differences between member viewpoints.) We often talk about things that the world in general is talking about too, but not in a format that drives traffic, whereas blogs are better at that. And at the end we can add "want to join the conversation? click here: intptbd."
Or like... here's an interesting topic or article we came across... share your thoughts on the forum?

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 pm

sitka wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 am
Blorg wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:58 pm
Or like... here's an interesting topic or article we came across... share your thoughts on the forum?
That sounds good too! (And easier)

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm

@Utisz did you set this bot loose? Lots of medical terminology.

edit: nvm, obv just spambots

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:47 am

puerile_polyp wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:00 pm
@Utisz did you set this bot loose? Lots of medical terminology.

edit: nvm, obv just spambots
Yeah, caught some before I went on a trip to Ireland, came back to like 5000+ spam users. :D
Seems the default captcha was very broken (deep learning; fml); trying a new Q&A dialogue.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:58 pm

More spam users. Putting a new captcha system.
Let's see how this one goes.

Prueba

Post by Prueba » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:14 pm

Blorg wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:39 am
About the reputation points - it seems that I can't leave them? Also, I'm divided about the points being displayed next to member's information, but I think having the top-rep members listed on the first page is a bit much.
I think this (should) finally be fixed now!

edit: oh and hi, I'm a test account.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:01 pm

It would be nice to have a private area.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:01 pm
It would be nice to have a private area.
Done! Not sure about the name, but hey.