Work in progress ...

Forum-related topics
Utisz

Re: Work in progress ...

Post by Utisz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:34 am

Blorg wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Something like this?

Is it possible to change fonts too? That could be fun.

edit: forgot about the graphics thread.
Using this logo now, thanks Blorg!
Looks good methinks.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:11 pm

Some quick changes:
  • Recent topics on the front page (this can be moved above, below, or to the side of the forums)
  • Restructured the forums to have public/private sections; also some minor renaming
  • Changed logo and "hardcoded it" to make it more responsive (avoids the old logo appearing momentarily on loading)
  • Removed some styles that were hard to maintain (leaving the option of light and dark mode; can add more styles in future)
  • Changed user name colours to make them more distinctive (in both light and dark mode)
  • Smilies no longer have white jaggies in dark mode
Comments, feedback, preferences welcome (e.g., better to have recent topics above, below or to the side?).

TeresaJ

Post by TeresaJ » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:51 am

I like the idea of having more subfora. Like, say: Articles, Movies, Books, Current Events, Amorphous Existential Dread; whatever.... Even if things don't always fit neatly in categories, it makes my brain happy to try to organize the universe this way.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:32 pm

TeresaJ wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:51 am
I like the idea of having more subfora. Like, say: Articles, Movies, Books, Current Events, Amorphous Existential Dread; whatever.... Even if things don't always fit neatly in categories, it makes my brain happy to try to organize the universe this way.
I'd like to keep the forum structure fairly minimal, in particular so that the forums appearing on the front page would be posted in regularly even with low traffic. But we could also create them as subforums (of world), or look into categories/tags for topics.

Suggestions welcome!

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 pm

You could model it on the high level categories of complex:

A Commons/pub/watercooler for discussions of whatever - no doubt the busiest section
New/Politics/Current affairs - for the kind of things happening in the world we might want to comment on
Arts/Culture/Entertainment - for the movies/games/books etc. we might want to talk about
Members Only for blogs and a few things people want to keep a bit more private (emphasis on a bit - it is a forum on the internet after all)

In any event, you might want to wait until after the old place is actually offline. More people will probably drift over here and have more feedback. But I agree to keep it simple. Hardly makes sense to have more categories than daily posts. Just a few general large buckets should suffice.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:30 pm

Senseye wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 pm
You could model it on the high level categories of complex:

A Commons/pub/watercooler for discussions of whatever - no doubt the busiest section
New/Politics/Current affairs - for the kind of things happening in the world we might want to comment on
Arts/Culture/Entertainment - for the movies/games/books etc. we might want to talk about
Members Only for blogs and a few things people want to keep a bit more private (emphasis on a bit - it is a forum on the internet after all)

In any event, you might want to wait until after the old place is actually offline. More people will probably drift over here and have more feedback. But I agree to keep it simple. Hardly makes sense to have more categories than daily posts. Just a few general large buckets should suffice.
Sounds reasonable! Yep, this place is currently in a holding pattern (design-wise) until the other site goes offline, depending also if ACow's goes online and what the consensus is. If this is the place, would indeed be good to have the feedback of the others who want to post here.

As a known issue, it seems emails in general are either not working at all, or are eaten by spam. If you've any issues, you can PM me here or on INTPcomplex in the meanwhile. Probably I will have to set up a new email server on the VM to resolve whatever is the issue.

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 am

Is it possible to enable the ability to see one's own rep comments given?
I forget what I say to people.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:09 am

Limey wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 am
Is it possible to enable the ability to see one's own rep comments given?
I forget what I say to people.
Good question! I think it's not enabled as an option, but rather would need to be coded.
I can look into that but it might take a while.

(I can also pull it out of the database in plain text if someone wants, though that's not ideal.)

Mx7xM

Post by Mx7xM » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm

If there's an easy enough way to get an Activity Stream like this, where you see an excerpt of the post, rather than just the thread title, I'd love to be able to keep tabs of the latest discussions:

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/activity.php

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:34 pm

Mx7xM wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm
If there's an easy enough way to get an Activity Stream like this, where you see an excerpt of the post, rather than just the thread title, I'd love to be able to keep tabs of the latest discussions:

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/activity.php
I agree that something like this would be very useful indeed!

The default definitions of New posts, Active topics, ..., is super confusing, and all of them show topics, not posts, which is worse.

So I'll try to organise something similar-ish, though it looks like it might require a bit of code.