Work in progress ...

Forum-related topics
Mx7xM

Re: Work in progress ...

Post by Mx7xM » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm happy to work on forum projects like movie club threads when I'm in my interact with others online phases, but that only happens once every few years. Always happy to give an opinion or contribute ideas.

Also, I save my diplomacy energy for work, so I think others are better suited to help behind the scenes. (Thanks Sinny for throwing me under the bus :P)

Teresa always struck me as someone with enough J in her to implement good ideas.

I have this silly dystopian ideal of an online community that self regulates and self moderates, so all that is needed are people to implement content generating ideas, and not be the behavioural police or moral arbitrators.

roki

Post by roki » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Sinny wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 pm
I don't know what name to suggest. Do we know what sort of forum we want? I think we are all mostly past discussing MBTI, but I'd also like to attract NTs.

I think the infamous "Little" threads deserve their own subsection.

I think Mxx should be roped into organisation.
Rants and pockets of hot air should be a unit.

Subsections to compartmentalize branches of psychology such as neuro, cognitive, and personality would be attractive to "whatever NTs are calling themselves these days," those who reject being classified by MBTI, others with interests in the brain and behavior, and more.

Recently on the other forum, I noticed a user post brain images and related discussion about affect into Little Rants instead of creating a thread in Psychology. This came off as a missed opportunity to showcase the content and encourage discussion, but I suspect it wasn't posted independently due to the "fear of 0-2 responses," which was an observable phenomenon on the other forum concerning thread creation.

This could be an unpopular opinion, but a way to encourage content generation would be to implement a "like feature" or allow for relaxed inthread response etiquette, so that the possible perception of wasted time on a thread/post is mitigated

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Well from personal experience, any time I ever created a thread on a subject I was interested in, I'd at least get a few people saying "ugh, why make a thread about this" .. whilst simultaneously quite a few others would moan about a lack of threads.

I subsequently began a trend of posting fleetingly about my interests in "New Articles TDDTOT" and my blog, where I was free from being flamed (I think).

(I recently read through the "rules history" of INTPc, and there where different rules at different points in time saying; firstly you couldn't be kicked out of peoples blogs, then secondly, that you could.)

I think it's good etiquette to *not shit on a thread* the moment appears, just because not doesn't interest "you".

If it doesn't interest "you", keep ya mouth shut and move on to something that does interest you. Derp.

I don't think the Mara Bot should be granted access.
It's not a real person. It's an agenda.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:16 pm

roki wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:31 pm
Rants and pockets of hot air should be a unit.

Subsections to compartmentalize branches of psychology such as neuro, cognitive, and personality would be attractive to "whatever NTs are calling themselves these days," those who reject being classified by MBTI, others with interests in the brain and behavior, and more.

Recently on the other forum, I noticed a user post brain images and related discussion about affect into Little Rants instead of creating a thread in Psychology. This came off as a missed opportunity to showcase the content and encourage discussion, but I suspect it wasn't posted independently due to the "fear of 0-2 responses," which was an observable phenomenon on the other forum concerning thread creation.

This could be an unpopular opinion, but a way to encourage content generation would be to implement a "like feature" or allow for relaxed inthread response etiquette, so that the possible perception of wasted time on a thread/post is mitigated
I have also thought that a "like" feature could be good. That little dopamine hit of positive feedback encourages people to post and helps people to post stuff that people like.

The "little" threads were the one thing that consistently worked, and I wonder if it might be useful for each subsection to have its own "little" thread, kind of like the old "News articles that don't deserve their own thread". "Little pockets of psychology" or something like that.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:17 pm

I'm not a fan of the like feature. Dopamine hits can incentivise weird behaviour patterns.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Re: Blorg & Mxx

No idea what could of happened between two of the most placid people I know on the forum.

The plot thickens.

oxyjen

Post by oxyjen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:20 pm

Step number 1 is seeing if we even have enough members coming over to form a community.

I mean, if the Maddy-signal goes out, and less than 20 people are rounded up, then assimilation to an already existing site may make more sense.

I'm gonna set out some baked goods.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm

I will not be assimilated :shock:

Blorg

Post by Blorg » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:31 pm

Threw together an interim banner for us in Canva since we haven't got a title yet

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Sinny wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:21 pm
I will not be assimilated :shock:
Yeah I refuse. I don't care how many people show up, I'll make my own forum and post in it by myself if I have to.