What are you here for?

Forum-related topics
Noir

Re: What are you here for?

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:55 am

Pure nostalgia on my part. This is the third iteration of this forum that I've seen and you're all still here, which is delightful. Is Hermione still around?

Edit: Or Polemarch? I missed all of the Ptah drama too, someone fill me in.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:54 am

Noir wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:55 am
Pure nostalgia on my part. This is the third iteration of this forum that I've seen and you're all still here, which is delightful. Is Hermione still around?

Welcome!

Hermione has an account knocking around somewhere on here but never posted.

Ptah decided to end INTPcomplex as fewer and fewer were posting, and I guess he figured the time/money wasn't worth it anymore. He posted a couple of times here, but hasn't been around for a minute.

Polemarch doesn't have an account here as far as I know (if he does it's under another name).

What's up with you?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:09 pm

Noir wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:55 am

Hey, mafia buddy! :nerd: How've you been??

Yeah, I think Ptah saw a real decline in participation and had to do the inevitable. This is a hangout where we can keep in touch somewhere that isn't social media.

Noir

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:54 am
Welcome!

Hermione has an account knocking around somewhere on here but never posted.

Ptah decided to end INTPcomplex as fewer and fewer were posting, and I guess he figured the time/money wasn't worth it anymore. He posted a couple of times here, but hasn't been around for a minute.

Polemarch doesn't have an account here as far as I know (if he does it's under another name).

What's up with you?
Nothing much. Moved back to Chicago, changed careers, got married, had a kid. Same old, same old I guess. :lol:
Madrigal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:09 pm
Hey, mafia buddy! :nerd: How've you been??

Yeah, I think Ptah saw a real decline in participation and had to do the inevitable. This is a hangout where we can keep in touch somewhere that isn't social media.
Hey Maddy! Glad you're still here, it's been years! I definitely miss playing mafia, that was good times. I remember when Dirac and I got duped by the godfather and lost, that was pretty epic.

How are you?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:56 pm

Noir wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:49 pm
Hey Maddy! Glad you're still here, it's been years! I definitely miss playing mafia, that was good times. I remember when Dirac and I got duped by the godfather and lost, that was pretty epic.

How are you?
I got duped by him too, lol, I think that was Works.

What was the career change? Are you enjoying fatherhood? I'm living in Chile with Utisz, translating and learning languages. I haven't been able to visit Argentina in a year and a half now because of the pandemic. Got the Sinovac vaccine which isn't great. Hopefully I can cross the Andes for a visit soon.

Noir

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:56 pm
I got duped by him too, lol, I think that was Works.

What was the career change? Are you enjoying fatherhood? I'm living in Chile with Utisz, translating and learning languages. I haven't been able to visit Argentina in a year and a half now because of the pandemic. Got the Sinovac vaccine which isn't great. Hopefully I can cross the Andes for a visit soon.
Works! That's right, what a dog. :hat:

I switched to residential real estate a few years ago, which has been a good change. I get to be outside and talk to new people every day, don't really have a boss to speak of, and I'm not responsible for anyone but myself.

I love being a Dad. I was initially apprehensive about bringing a child into this world, particularly during a pandemic, but I realized that my daughter is probably going to live a relatively charmed life. She has two parents who love her, a stable home life, and will likely have every opportunity to be/do whatever she wants, within reason. Which is to say that I don't look into her eyes and feel guilt for the pain she will endure, if that makes sense. I think that was always my biggest hangup about kids: the involuntary nature of existence, and the inevitability of pain/suffering.

That's cool you're living in Chile. Are you guys a couple, or just a couple INTPs hanging out?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Noir wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:05 pm
Works! That's right, what a dog. :hat:

I switched to residential real estate a few years ago, which has been a good change. I get to be outside and talk to new people every day, don't really have a boss to speak of, and I'm not responsible for anyone but myself.

I love being a Dad. I was initially apprehensive about bringing a child into this world, particularly during a pandemic, but I realized that my daughter is probably going to live a relatively charmed life. She has two parents who love her, a stable home life, and will likely have every opportunity to be/do whatever she wants, within reason. Which is to say that I don't look into her eyes and feel guilt for the pain she will endure, if that makes sense. I think that was always my biggest hangup about kids: the involuntary nature of existence, and the inevitability of pain/suffering.

That's cool you're living in Chile. Are you guys a couple, or just a couple INTPs hanging out?
Yeah I'll tell you a secret, I preferred jobs where I could talk to people too, ha.

I think my mother didn't want to have kids because of the world they would inherit, and that was the 70s. I think that kind of concern is probably timeless. Glad fatherhood's working out for you.

A couple, and we don't actually hang out that often since we're always working. :ph34r:

Noir

Post by Noir » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:17 pm
Yeah I'll tell you a secret, I preferred jobs where I could talk to people too, ha.

I think my mother didn't want to have kids because of the world they would inherit, and that was the 70s. I think that kind of concern is probably timeless. Glad fatherhood's working out for you.

A couple, and we don't actually hang out that often since we're always working. :ph34r:
Haha I hear that.

Language translation sounds pretty cool! Is your bread and butter mostly English->Spanish? What other languages do you work in?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:39 pm

Noir wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:40 pm
Haha I hear that.

Language translation sounds pretty cool! Is your bread and butter mostly English->Spanish? What other languages do you work in?
I work with French too (I translate into English and Spanish). I've had some occasional jobs from Portuguese but I haven't dived into it yet. I'm learning Italian so maybe next year I can add that language.

Noir

Post by Noir » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:39 pm
I work with French too (I translate into English and Spanish). I've had some occasional jobs from Portuguese but I haven't dived into it yet. I'm learning Italian so maybe next year I can add that language.
I'm jealous. I learned Mandarin when I was younger but haven't really kept up with it. It would be cool to read in another language too; there's so many figurative aspects to language (idioms and such) that get lost in translation.

Do you have a favorite language? Is that allowed?