Site log

Forum-related topics
Utisz

Re: Site log

Post by Utisz » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:09 am

I think it might be time to try to organise all the topics we have a little more, but instead of having a bunch of forums and sub-forums and so on that are rarely posted in, I think it will be good to instead try a tagging system for topics/threads.

When you create a topic (aka. thread), you will see a dialogue (a white text box).

You can enter a tag (e.g., philosophy, entertainment, game, whatever) and when you hit enter, the tag will be added to the topic.
Note that spaces will be replaced with '-'.

You can do the same for existing topics by editing the first post of your topic.

At the bottom of the main page you will find a tag cloud with the most common tags.

Anyways, it's a bit of an experiment. Most modern content management systems use tags rather than some pre-set hierarchical structure. I hope this can give a bit of structure to different themes without needing lots of forums and sub-forums.

Might also tag some of y'all's existing topics. Would that be rude?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:37 am

^^ Actually I didn't add a necessary permission, but this should be working now.

Might go on a tagging spree of existing topics.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:51 am

Okay, I went on a wee tagging spree (avoiding more personal topics).

Y'all can edit the tags for your own topics. Just hit edit on the first post of the topic.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:03 am

Autocomplete for tags working (when you create a new topic and start to type a tag, suggestions of existing tags should appear).

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Small change: tags only appear on the first post of the first page of the topic (the OP).

Previously they would appear on the first post of every page of the topic.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:58 pm

Mx7xM wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:20 pm
If there's an easy enough way to get an Activity Stream like this, where you see an excerpt of the post, rather than just the thread title, I'd love to be able to keep tabs of the latest discussions:

http://forums.intpcomplex.com/activity.php
I changed the header a bit, so now you'll find Latest Posts, Notifications and Private Messages when logged in.

Latest posts is something similar to the activity stream (no auto-updating though).

New Posts (which was really New Topics) and My Posts (which was really My Topics) are still available in Quick Links at the top.

Mx7xM

Post by Mx7xM » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:00 am

Utisz wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:58 pm

Latest posts is something similar to the activity stream (no auto-updating though).

New Posts (which was really New Topics) and My Posts (which was really My Topics) are still available in Quick Links at the top.
That's perfect, thanks Utisz! Bookmarked as my entry point to the site.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 am

The front page now has random quotes under the search box on desktop (hidden on mobile to avoid clutter).

If you wanna remove one of yours, let me know. :thumbsup:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:59 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:58 am
The front page now has random quotes under the search box on desktop (hidden on mobile to avoid clutter).

If you wanna remove one of yours, let me know. :thumbsup:
Well now I can't stop refreshing the index.