Site log

Forum-related topics
Utisz

Re: Site log

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 am

Imma play with the rep system a bit, pardon the dust.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:36 am

Okay, so you can see reputation received and given now from the user dropdown, top right corner.

I also dropped the e-peen rep number under the user.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 am

Reputation comments are now private in the sense that you can only view your own reputation sent/received, and you can only click on the number for your own posts to see the reputation comments on that specific post and who sent them.

The only thing that is publicly visible is the score on the post.

So now y'all can whisper sweet sweet nothings into each others' ears.

edit: One last tweak. A zero score no longer appears on a post. The default is zero.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 am
edit: One last tweak. A zero score no longer appears on a post. The default is zero.
Fixed a wee bug with this where if you hit the thumbs up or down on a virgin post, the score would not show without a refresh.
Should be fine now.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:19 pm

Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:18 pm
Fixed a wee bug where if you hit the thumbs up or down on a virgin post, the score would not show without a refresh.
These quick changes without any PR process on github are giving me the heebie-jeebies.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:19 pm
Utisz wrote:
Fixed a wee bug where if you hit the thumbs up or down on a virgin post, the score would not show without a refresh.
These quick changes without any PR process on github are giving me the heebie-jeebies.
Me too! /jk

This one was literally adding "display: none" to a CSS file. :happy:

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:23 pm

Utisz wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:20 pm
Ferrus wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:19 pm
Utisz wrote:
Me too! /jk

This one was literally adding "display: none" to a CSS file. :happy:
Heh, whenever someone says this I instantly think of this meme:

Ex falso, quodlibet

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 pm

:lol:

Didn't say I got it first time.

Will add to my todo list to post the full source code of the forum to a public github repo and share it with y'all.
Should probably be versioning this stuff anyways.

(Just to reassure, the code contains zero data.)

Limey

Post by Limey » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 pm

oh good work on the rep system. I support the decision to make it private to the recipient as I've enjoyed unexpected reps from people who found something amusing that might have been affected with them public. Also good to see sent ones, cheers!

It's good to see you hacking the forum. When I ran a vbulletin forum I went nuts with the hacks (with zero change control!) - it was a huge pain in the ass to find where I had to hunt PHP changes to re-install them all again after a patch. I think there's a patching system built there in now though. /ramble
But anyway, I had streaming radio, gender, country, and state flags on the postbit (all voluntary, defaulting to null) I built a whole PHP custom "garage" for their cars, mods and pictures to go (car forum). There was single-click reverse IP lookups on each postbit, visible only to admins and mods and two factor authentication to the mod cpanel and admincp (heh) I remember making a whole style with custom graphics too. I really got into it, playing with PHP and mysql was kinda fun. I think that forum personality cafe did a good job at making the place look attractive. With an INTP forum, you just have to be thankful that the electricity is running, not whether there's nice food in the fridge tho.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Limey wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 pm
oh good work on the rep system. I support the decision to make it private to the recipient as I've enjoyed unexpected reps from people who found something amusing that might have been affected with them public. Also good to see sent ones, cheers!
No worries, yep! The reputation sent was a cake-walk as it's just copying the standard reputation view and swapping the to/from in the SQL query.

Making reps private I was more worried about as there wasn't a setting for "see only your reputation" in the ACP (U.I. settings) so it needed a bit of hacking, which needed a look over the documentation for extensions, which are very indirect. But actually the extension system and the code in general is quite nice once you figure out. The core code has "hooks" everywhere that an extension can listen to to inject extra pieces of HTML where it needs, so you can disable the extension and it all disappears. Within the HTML code, there's comments that act like conditions to show/not show something. The extensions have access to a core PHP library as well with access to MySQL and some core logic. And PHP is not that bad, especially when the code itself is good. I teach SQL, so that's a freebie.

All in all, it took a couple of hours to get it working, and this with reading up about extensions, using Notepad++, emacs/nano, SCP. Encouraging first foray into hacking stuff.
It's good to see you hacking the forum. When I ran a vbulletin forum I went nuts with the hacks (with zero change control!) - it was a huge pain in the ass to find where I had to hunt PHP changes to re-install them all again after a patch. I think there's a patching system built there in now though. /ramble
Yeah, not sure how to handle updates. We're on phpBB3.2.8, and I think they're up to php3.3.3 or something. Will probably just stay on 3.2.8 for the foreseeable future until there's a strong reason to update.

All the custom hacking I've done (not that much) is in styles and extensions, with one line of code added to the core so far, so it might not be that bad, but don't know how backwards compatible each new version is for extensions. I've seen extensions for 3.2 not working for 3.3, and vice versa, so probably not all that backwards compatible. But the community keeps high-demand extensions up to-date, even for minor versions.
But anyway, I had streaming radio, gender, country, and state flags on the postbit (all voluntary, defaulting to null) I built a whole PHP custom "garage" for their cars, mods and pictures to go (car forum). There was single-click reverse IP lookups on each postbit, visible only to admins and mods and two factor authentication to the mod cpanel and admincp (heh) I remember making a whole style with custom graphics too. I really got into it, playing with PHP and mysql was kinda fun. I think that forum personality cafe did a good job at making the place look attractive. With an INTP forum, you just have to be thankful that the electricity is running, not whether there's nice food in the fridge tho.

Yup, I can definitely see how that might happen! Playing around and adding things is kind of addictive in a way. Plus there's so many extensions and styles available. But would like to keep a minimalist feel.

Still, there's a couple more things I think we need, like something to organize the topics by theme/type.

Also now thinking though about making an extension at some point to add something fun (a game or questionnaire or something along those lines), but need to get the code into Git and get a decent development/testing environment before all that happens. Hacking stuff in notepad for a live forum has its limits. :)