How much water do you drink a day?

Forum-related topics
Catoptric

Re: How much water do you drink a day?

Post by Catoptric » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:48 pm

I use a French press to brew tea, sometimes poured over ice, often in accompaniment by an espresso.

Since I have about 4-5000 tea bags I've been intent on using ('Lancashire Tea' for the price of $20 for 1,100 tea bags that normally go for $7-8 +s/h, so I bought the remaining amount that were to be 'expired' (though I've had tea bags sitting around from over a decade ago that are not much different from when new, and in parts of Asia they have 'aged' tea from over a century ago that demands a high price point.) Sometimes it's good to use mostly these tea and throw in another tea bag such as Thompson's Signature tea to then pour over ice when it's still cooling down.

That and I just took 48 tea bags from sealed packages of the tea and used it in a 6.5 gallon (the plastic fermenter sold on Northern Brewer, called the 'Big Mouth Bubbler' which is perfect for this) fermentation of Kombucha using a worn-out strainer bag and a large 'Grafiti band' to cover the mouth of the container, which I'll fill up some bottles that have clasp tops or occasionally screw caps. Periodically I'll refresh other ferments using this while the kombucha is still healthy and can be more accessible to pour from.

That and I drink beer; and have been trying a Pliny the Elder clone which is easily one of the best IPA's, and will probably start to pour another non-ipa ferment into mini/pony kegs and whatever else is convenient and start on a new local beer kit involving black pepper (which sounds odd but might be decent.)

So mostly tea, or anything that requires boiling on some level, after it's been filtered and also bottled in it's own containers. . . I have an 8 and a 5 gallon water jug I alternate between filling from and refilling, and using on occassions when I brew. Ice helps to dilute the tea, but I may only ever use the water straight from a bottle when mixing with something like an electrolyte water mixture, or 'Green Superfood' powder mixed with nootropics among other things (dried mushroom such as reishi, lions mane, or cordyceps, which I rarely do.)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

post-modern

Post by post-modern » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:30 pm

Spartan26 wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:21 am
Do you drink 8 glasses of 8 oz of water each day?
Yes. Sometimes upwards of 100 oz., but at a minimum I drink 64 oz. per day. It is part of my morning routine to fill up two 32 oz. water bottles and put them on my desk next to my computer. Seeing them helps to remind me to drink them.
Spartan26 wrote:
What would be a typical total beverage consumption for you per day? Break it out, please!
3 black coffees, a shot of ginger juice and 64 - 128 oz. of water. Sometimes when I still want a hot beverage, I will make fresh lemon tea. On icy days, I will also drink a warm mug of creamy golden milk.
Spartan26 wrote:
Do you notice any difference in yourself depending on how much water you've consumed?
I feel less focused on the days I forget to fill my water bottles and forget to drink and thus get dehydrated.
Spartan26 wrote:
Do you drink more, less, or about the same amount of water on the weekend vs days of the work week?
Working from home with a heavy workload means my routines remain the same and I drink the same amount of water.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:56 pm

post-modern wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:30 pm
a warm mug of creamy golden milk.
What is that? :?:

Sounds delicious and unnerving at the same time.

Works

Post by Works » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:26 pm

I mostly drink water and only when thirsty. So probably 30-40 oz a day.

baccheion

Post by baccheion » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 am

A 5 lb bag of russet potatoes = 8 cups water.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:46 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 am
The water is supposed to be hot but not boiling.
This I was told about. Like water used for denture cleaner. Hot but not too hot. I don't have dentures but you drop those tablets in water to fizz up and they do a wonder on cleaning hard to reach areas. I just have no idea what they consider too hot.
Madrigal wrote:
mate is bitter.
I was told this too. It was a disclaimer that I might not like it but I thought it was fine. I'm not much of a hot beverage drinker, even when it's cold, otherwise I'm sure I'd enjoy it more often. I often like bitter drinks to contrast things I eat. Salty or sweet tends to be enhanced by a tart drink.
Madrigal wrote:
Mate has to be drunk slowly when you're just starting out because it's a laxative btw.
And, thankfully, I was told this as well. Although I'm not sure it really has that effect on me. What will make me go is Excedrin and Dr Pepper. I find that the best combo for alleviating headaches but that will also, uh, assist my constitution. I thought I was sorta imagining things or thought I was weird until a doctor confirmed this was a thing. He actually used a medical term, not just said it was a thingie.
Madrigal wrote:
That said, each serving of mate should be about 2 or 3 sips worth. It shouldn't be like a cup of water, you just dampen the yerba so you can sip it a couple of times. There is a special way to insert the straw (at an angle and to the side) so that the yerba stays fresh longer.
But this, I do not believe was mentioned to me. When I was shown how to make it, she didn't put too much water in but I just assumed that was for me to just have a taste to see if I liked it. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to put much water in. Although, there were a ton of leaves put in so it's not like a lot of water would fit without it spilling over.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow so maybe I'll have some and listen to some acid tango when I get home from work.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:17 am

baccheion wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 am
I bet an elephant could eat a 5 lb bag of potatoes. Where are you headed with this?

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:04 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:57 am
starjots wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:22 pm
I drink a gallon of cold-brew tea, a quart of almond milk, and a quart of water a day. The almond milk goes in the tea.
I brew tea and pour it over ice each day at work. I have a Super Big Gulp insolated mug that I keep at my desk. They work great! There's generally some ice left when I pour the remaining part out at the end of the day. I'd like to just drink water but I need some flavor. During the weekends and at night I'll often fizz up some water in my Sodastream and only add a small squeeze of fresh lime in and that's enough for me. I'll drink maybe a litre and a half each weekend day.
That's probably tastier than my method, which has devolved to the laziest possible method. I have a 1 gallon pitcher which I fill with filtered water. I throw in 2 lg cold brew tea bags, 2 Bewley Dublin Morning Tea bags, 1 black mint or cinammon mint tea bag and put it in the fridge overnight. Add about 1 part to 5 parts unsweet vanilla almond milk and if I've got it, a dash of chai tea concentrate for flavor.

This replaced a decades long habit of a soda fountain mix which had more calories, required 2 or 3 trips a day to the convenience store and was surely not good for me. It took quite a while to find something with a similar kick that tasted good to me.

We get our drinking water from a filtered water station in town - 25 cents a gallon. The tap water here is not good. Every week or so I take a trip to the water station and fill 3x3 gallon and 1x5 gallon jugs. Having good water to drink sounds trivial, but it's a big quality of life booster.

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am

Senseye wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:17 am
baccheion wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:37 am
I bet an elephant could eat a 5 lb bag of potatoes. Where are you headed with this?
I've read the poorer Irish before the blight lived almost exclusively on potatoes, eating 12-14 pounds a day. Perhaps if they ate elephants instead, there would be no St Patrick's day in the US?

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:55 am

Water? like from the toilet?
uh-huh-huh!

I drink Brawndo.