most of you are insufferable assholes

Forum-related topics
last_caress

Re: most of you are insufferable assholes

Post by last_caress » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 pm

What edition of D&D are we talking?

I bought the 5th ed. books a few years ago anticipating playing again but never got around to it. Based on some skimming I prefer 1st ed.

Still have a few 1st ed. booksthat weren't destroyed in a basement flood some years ago. An unfortunate casualty was a worn copy of Deities and Demigods with the Melnibonean and Cthulhu mythos.

Anybody who's played both, which do you prefer?

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:10 am

ashi wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:54 pm
The long answer is: Yes, as the majority of the game takes place quite by design inside THE THEATRE OF THE MIND. It might require some jumping through hoops to make it accessible/useable but probably not anything I didn't already need to do.
The collective theatre of our minds is probably a place we need dogs and ponies to trek into, and their meat to trek out of, but hey sounds like fun! :hat:

(If there's something we need on a technical side, I can look into it!)

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:03 pm

I chose Sherwin Williams Vanillin for my wall color. It's light but I think it will contrast well enough with white trim. But I'd still consider something of equal lightness that's more toward the grey scale since grey tones are so popular.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 pm

last_caress wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:01 pm
What edition of D&D are we talking?

I bought the 5th ed. books a few years ago anticipating playing again but never got around to it. Based on some skimming I prefer 1st ed.

Still have a few 1st ed. booksthat weren't destroyed in a basement flood some years ago. An unfortunate casualty was a worn copy of Deities and Demigods with the Melnibonean and Cthulhu mythos.

Anybody who's played both, which do you prefer?
While lots of old books/modules could be fun and/or nostalgic, realistically it is going to have to be either 5e or some sort of pseudo-D&D simplification/abstraction of the system to lower the barrier to entry.

Speaking of nostalgia, Goodman Games have a 7 volume Original Adventures Reincarnated series, each book of which collects reprints of classic modules and provides versions adapted to 5E.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:30 pm

Insufferable arsehole - that's one of the nicest things anyones ever said about me.

No idea what all the D&D crap is, but yeah why not.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 am

I discovered there's a Paffenroth in my family tree and I can't put my finger on why but I feel I should be held in higher esteem now.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:39 pm

Oh, I'm thinking of the Rothchild family!

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:19 am

People knock undigested corn but I bet it helps clean something out. Make something like that but more abrasive and you'll really have something there. Except some things, like bay leaves, could cause a blockage if not chewed well. Maybe when half chewed there's a risk but unbitten corn is good. Maybe they should make an undissolving pill that's slightly abrasive to clean stuff out.

Brokaw, S. A. (1983). Complications of Bay Leaf Ingestion. JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, 250(6), 729. doi:10.1001/jama.1983.03340060023
It is likely that most small fragments of bay leaves pass unnoticed, but complications may occur during or after ingestion of larger, intact leaves. Not only is size a factor, but bay leaves do not soften or fragment appreciably during the cooking process...Not only should cooks and diners be advised to remove bay leaves from sauces or stews, but cook book authors would do well warning novice
cooks to remove bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, large cloves, and cardamon seeds from their homemade delicacies.

Susan A. Brokaw, MD
Dirk M. Wonnell, MD
Henry Ford Hospital
Detroit
Wait, I don't want to swallow an abrasive pill, but put a coating on the abrasive to make it smooth enough to swallow easily before it dissolves and have the abrasive part dissolve more slowly.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:52 pm

I never figured out what some people had against Horatio. I guess something happened in PMs because he seemed fine on the board. He seemed fine in chat too. He seemed especially knowledgeable about medical stuff. He may have been in medical school.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Ashi, I think the topic heading is a little harsh, and I can't help but think it comes from a place of hurt.

You are a wonderful human being, and an absolute delight to converse with.

At the worst, you're a sufferable asshole. Think about how far you've come, and be proud of yourself.