Contrived quotes optimized for header placement

Forum-related topics
HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Re: Contrived quotes optimized for header placement

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:55 am

I appeal to all those still living for whom there's strong evidence of having been raised by monkeys or chimps to sell your story and do interviews.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:41 pm

I feel I'm getting good at determining whether a transgender woman has a penis by listening to her pee and factoring in height and age related prostate enlargement statistics.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 am

HighlyIrregular II wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:38 pm
I could believe there are six now. Seems like it. Used to be more. Used to be a couple more of mine.
I was referring to this: https://tinyurl.com/5nxn4849
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:55 pm

Oh. My mind isn't on html anymore. But I found a use for all 6 once! I think I have a screenshot of that page.

Found it!
Attachments
headings-consumer-protection.jpg
headings-consumer-protection.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 8586 times

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 am

But is it really H1 to H6 in the source code? H3 looks bigger than H2.... BTW I can't seem to find that webpage when I search for phrases from that low-res screenshot....

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:37 am

JohnClay wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 am
But is it really H1 to H6 in the source code? H3 looks bigger than H2....
Yes, it was. The CSS changed the size.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:42 am

JohnClay wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:33 am
.... BTW I can't seem to find that webpage when I search for phrases from that low-res screenshot....
It no longer exists as of two or three years ago. I found a post on another forum where I discussed it. I added the headings in 2005.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:41 am

I'm not sure if H5 is a header.... it seems to involve paragraphs...

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:00 am

JohnClay wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:41 am
I'm not sure if H5 is a header.... it seems to involve paragraphs...
I attempted to write with my mouse "h5 will go here." The actual h5 heading didn't exist at the time on that page. I think the plan was, after a few entries/paragraphs there would be a whole other division of h4. Not sure I have the source code because I had a problem with proprietary backup software.

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:25 am

I found a piece of the page. The snapshot above doesn't show the heading "FTC Fraud Survey" which is h5. It's included here:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<html>
<head>
<title>Consumer Protection</title>
<meta http-equiv = "Content-Type" content = "text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body>

<h5>
FTC Fraud Survey
</h5>
<br>

<div style = "float: left; width: 1px; height: 80px;">
</div>

<div style = "float: left; clear: left; padding-top: 2px; padding-bottom: 5px; margin-top: 12px; margin-right: 12px; margin-bottom: 12px; background-color: rgb(236,242,236); border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-color: rgb(221,232,221);">

<h6 style = "font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold; margin-left: 14px; margin-top: 4px; padding-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 4px; padding-bottom: 0px;">
Top 10 Frauds (FTC)
</h6>

<ol style = "padding-bottom: 8px; margin-bottom: 0px; padding-top: 6px; padding-left: 33px; padding-right: 4px; margin-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px;">
<li>Advance-fee loan scams&mdash;4.55 million victims</li>
<li>Buyers clubs&mdash;4.05 million victims</li>
<li>Credit card insurance&mdash;3.35 million victims</li>
<li>Credit repair&mdash;2 million victims</li>
<li>Prize promotions&mdash;1.8 million victims</li>
<li>Internet services&mdash;1.75 million victims</li>
<li>Pyramid schemes&mdash;1.55 million victims</li>
<li>Information services&mdash;.8 million victims</li>
<li>Government job offers&mdash;.65 million victims</li>
<li>Business opportunities&mdash;.45 million victims</li>
</ol>

<div style = "font-size: 7pt; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; margin-left: 7px; line-height: 12px;">
<span style = "font-style: italic;">FTC Releases Consumer Fraud Survey</span>
<br>
<span style = "font-style: normal;">August 5, 2004</span>
</div>
</div>

<p style = "padding-top: 16px;">
In 2003, the FTC "commissioned a survey of 2,500 randomly-chosen adults about their consumer experiences during the previous year." On August 5, 2004, the FTC published the results in <a href = "http://www.ftc.gov/reports/consumerfrau ... i>Consumer Fraud in the United States: An FTC Survey</i></a>, which showed that over one in ten Americans were fraud victims. The <a href = "http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/08/fraudsurvey.htm">press release</a> announcing the report includes "the top 10 frauds listed in the report." Those ten were the only types of fraud that survey participants were asked about, representing "...the most prevalent types of complaints reported in the FTC's complaint database..." and "...frauds that have frequently led to FTC enforcement actions."
</p>

<p>
Also studied in the survey were "two additional situations that frequently indicate that a fraud may have occurred....(1) paying for a product or service that a consumer does not receive and (2) being billed for a product [other than products covered in the top ten frauds], that a consumer had not agreed to purchase" and "'slamming'&mdash;a situation in which a consumer's long distance telephone service is switched from one carrier to another without the consumer's permission." The survey found that an estimated 13.9 million consumers were victims of slamming.
</p>
<p>
The report tries to justify the "conservative" method used to determine who's a victim with a footnote that says "In the context of a randomized telephone study, we have very limited information about the nature of the businesses with whom the consumers were interacting." The study is useful, but could have been more accurate.
</p>
<p>
Also studied in the survey were "two additional situations that frequently indicate that a fraud may have occurred....(1) paying for a product or service that a consumer does not receive and (2) being billed for a product [other than products covered in the top ten frauds], that a consumer had not agreed to purchase" and "'slamming'&mdash;a situation in which a consumer's long distance telephone service is switched from one carrier to another without the consumer's permission." The survey found that an estimated 13.9 million consumers were victims of slamming.
</p>
<p>
The report tries to justify the "conservative" method used to determine who's a victim with a footnote that says "In the context of a randomized telephone study, we have very limited information about the nature of the businesses with whom the consumers were interacting." The study is useful, but could have been more accurate.
</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>
</p>

</div> <!-- End of Item class -->
</body>
</html>