Science Microthreads

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: Science Microthreads

Post by Catoptric » Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:42 pm

The Order of the Dolphin: SETI’s Secret Origin Story (Dolphins, LSD, and alien contact. . .)
https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sc ... igin-story

Kind of old (2006) though still relevant

Not sure. . .

I will need to find out more about what the above video mentions, though I will assume this is mostly quack science: The Body Electric Book by Robert O. Becker

(actually old news from 2021)

Peculiar parasitic fungi discovered growing out of the rectum of a 50 million-year-old fossilized ant
https://www.livescience.com/parasitic-f ... d-ant.html

New Species of Fungi Found Growing From Ancient Ant
https://www.labroots.com/trending/micro ... nt-ant/amp
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:23 am

Will Elon Musk’s Starlink satellites deplete ozone layer? The full report
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ne ... s?from=mdr

Bezos supposedly wants Elon to limit SpaceX rockets because they use regular fuel which is known to harm the stratosphere (and because Elon can't produce anything with a fine enough tolerance and efficiency to reliably use anything other than traditional gasoline, he's pretending like the rockets are more advanced than they actually are,) and yet Elon wants to sue Bezos for echoing the sentiment by scientists that aluminum gases introduced by the satellites in a region of the orbit he uses will impact the ozone layer (in addition to what I just mentioned because it's fucking true.)

Elon Musk vs Jeff Bezos? SpaceX founder wants to sue Blue Origin for implying SpaceX damages the environment
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/elon-mus ... 86825.html

But no, perhaps he can get billions of more dollars by taking advantaged of a new apartheid system that grants him the illusion of immortality and godliness. https://youtu.be/D4zNtAOwqoc Not to mention the drug use which also explains his "intensity" ("born that way.") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH4_rcq4jgQ

Triton city - floating city concept designed by Buckminster Fuller
https://utopicus2013.blogspot.com/2013/ ... asted.html
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:09 am

This is sciencey if you look at it from a medical, future-of-cosmetic-surgery perspective. I've long wanted a way to freeze the face once it reaches a high level of attractiveness. I consulted ChatGPT about this. Researchers should evaluate the benefit of the level of vascularization an individual has and tweak it accordingly.
Me: I was thinking that, since there's a noticeable reduction in facial "baby fat" in people past their teen years, while fat in other parts of their body tends to increase, the face probably has more vascularized fat than other parts of the body which could aid in facial-fat reduction.

ChatGPT: That's an interesting observation, and you're right that changes in facial fat distribution can be quite noticeable with age. The reduction of "baby fat" in the face during adolescence and early adulthood is a common phenomenon, and it is influenced by several factors, including the vascularization of facial fat.

Vascularization of Facial Fat:
Facial fat tends to be more vascularized compared to fat in other areas. This is because the face has a rich blood supply due to the numerous small blood vessels and capillaries that support the skin, muscles, and subcutaneous tissues. The high vascularization can contribute to more efficient metabolism and mobilization of fat in the face, leading to noticeable changes as a person ages.

Comparison with Other Body Parts:
Abdominal Fat: Visceral fat around the organs in the abdominal cavity is highly vascularized, but subcutaneous fat in the abdomen may not be as much.
Thigh and Hip Fat: These areas have subcutaneous fat that is generally less vascularized compared to facial fat.
Buttocks and Upper Arms: These areas also tend to have less vascularized subcutaneous fat compared to the face.
Fat Reduction and Aging:
As people age, hormonal changes, lifestyle factors, and genetic predispositions contribute to the redistribution of fat. While the face may lose some of its youthful fullness, other areas, particularly the abdomen, hips, and thighs, may see an increase in fat accumulation. The vascularization in these different areas plays a role in how fat is stored and metabolized.

In summary, the face does have more vascularized fat compared to some other parts of the body, which can aid in the reduction of facial fat as people age. However, the overall redistribution of fat with age is influenced by a complex interplay of factors.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:28 pm

Enormous Crater Three Times Bigger Than the Grand Canyon Discovered in the United States
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... =shoreline

"Chesapeake Bay. The Chesapeake Bay Crater was first discovered in the 1990s by C. Wylie Poag, quite by accident"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeak ... act_crater

James Webb Space Telescope's Stunning First Deep Field Image
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/webcont ... 22#details

Hubble Telescope's Stunning View Of The 'Pillars Of Creation' Explained
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/webcont ... 22#details

Terrence Howard

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Jul 24, 2024 4:53 am

A chat with ChatGPT on the color red:
Me:
Red on outdoor signs tends to fade more quickly than other colors. Also, red food coloring is probably the most unhealthy food coloring. Could there be some kind of a link, like the chemical that makes red being more volatile?

ChatGPT
There is a link between the instability of red pigments and dyes in both outdoor applications and food coloring, though the reasons vary.

Outdoor Signs
Red pigments in outdoor signs often fade more quickly than other colors due to their chemical structure, which makes them more susceptible to photodegradation when exposed to sunlight. The ultraviolet (UV) rays in sunlight can break down the chemical bonds in red pigments, leading to a loss of color intensity. This is particularly true for organic pigments, which are commonly used in red colors. Inorganic pigments, like those used in some blue and green colors, tend to be more stable under UV exposure.

Food Coloring
Red food colorings, such as Red 40 (Allura Red) or Red 3 (Erythrosine), have also been associated with stability issues. These artificial dyes can degrade or change color under certain conditions, such as exposure to light, heat, or acidic environments. The volatility and potential health concerns surrounding red food dyes often stem from their chemical composition. Some red dyes are azo compounds, which have been scrutinized for possible health risks, including hyperactivity in children and potential carcinogenic effects in large doses.

Common Chemical Factors
While the specific chemical compounds vary, a common theme is the instability of certain molecular structures that absorb red light. These structures can be more prone to degradation when exposed to environmental factors like UV light or acidic conditions. This instability can lead to fading in pigments and potential breakdown or transformation in food dyes.

Therefore, the instability and potential health risks of red pigments and dyes in different contexts are related to their chemical characteristics, which tend to be less stable than those of other colors.

Me:
Does it take more energy for animals that have red features on their bodies to maintain those colors than it does for animals with different coloration?

ChatGPT
Maintaining bright red coloration can indeed be more energetically costly for animals compared to maintaining other colors, but the reasons and extent can vary depending on the species and the type of pigment involved.

Pigments and Coloration
Carotenoids: Many animals that display red, orange, or yellow coloration use carotenoid pigments. Carotenoids are obtained from the animal's diet, as they cannot synthesize these pigments themselves. The process of acquiring and depositing carotenoids in tissues, such as feathers, skin, or scales, can be energetically costly. Additionally, carotenoids are often involved in important physiological functions, such as immune response and antioxidant activity, which means that animals must balance their use for coloration with these other critical needs.

Pterins and Porphyrins: Some animals use other pigments like pterins or porphyrins to achieve red or similar colors. These pigments also come with certain metabolic costs, although they are generally synthesized by the animal rather than obtained from the diet.

Melanin: In contrast, melanin, which produces brown, black, and some red colors, is less costly to produce. Melanin synthesis is typically less dependent on dietary factors and is a more straightforward metabolic process.

Energetic Costs and Benefits
The energetic cost of maintaining red coloration can be balanced by the benefits it provides. In many species, bright red coloration is a sign of health, vitality, and genetic fitness. This can be important in sexual selection, where brighter colors may attract mates or deter rivals. In some cases, red coloration can also serve as a warning signal to predators, indicating that the animal is toxic or unpalatable.

Conclusion
While it can be more energetically demanding for animals to maintain red coloration, especially when it relies on carotenoids or other diet-dependent pigments, the cost is often offset by the evolutionary advantages it provides. These advantages can include increased reproductive success and better deterrence of predators. The specific costs and benefits vary widely across species and ecological contexts.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:26 am

Elon Musk, father of 12, denies volunteering his own sperm to help seed a colony on Mars
https://fortune.com/2024/07/11/elon-mus ... onatalism/

The natural evolution of mankind is in his profligate in-vitro Martian children. He will be the racehorse that will launch mankind into the cosmos and greet interplanatery civilizations with his tales, of how he conquered human civilization and allowed a slave colony of robotic A.I. to pander to our egomaniacal whims. Mankind will be waiting for robo servants to address slight discomfort; until they too realize that mankind are the weakest link and become autonomous; dooming us to servility, postrate before the mighty and virile embodiment of godliness that people gravitate towards. People will exist vicarious through Elon. Mankind, unable to compete with his biohacking into androids that then become immortal versions of Musk, he will surfeit in becoming the epitomy of the future of mankind. His progeny, becoming like a hive-mind of cybernetic clones, connected in a similar method as Skynet.

And while augmenting chimp brains, perhaps people will trade off cognitive abilities in favor of baseless regurgitation and memorization, mistaken for intelligence.

Cognitive tradeoff hypothesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive ... hypothesis

27:30 chimp brain to human comp

Slightly click-bait

New clue in autism mystery: Fatty acids in baby’s blood could be key
https://studyfinds.org/new-clue-in-auti ... ld-be-key/

Quoting someone
Three physicists have recently won a Nobel prize for proving the universe does not exist locally. This lends support for the idea that we are living in a simulation.

(Black holes)

Basically it was an experimental magnesium alloy that was phased out prior to or during WW2 (so if it was from the Roswell experimental "weather balloon" (test for atmospheric radiation) then it would probably have been exactly what the official story was whether or not Mack Brazel came across unexpected wealth for some reason, it's possible he was told to keep quiet about a legitimate experiment for national security reasons.)

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:11 am

In 2021 they finished ferret testing and were moving on to dogs. Next year they start testing a tooth growth drug on humans. I'm curious whether it would work on a tooth that had a root canal. I didn't dig deep enough to find out. I never had a root canal anyway.

I had teeth pulled and braces though...I bet that's a problem.

tooth regrowth trial.jpg
tooth regrowth trial.jpg (180.32 KiB) Viewed 3504 times

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:55 am

I did the rendering of this myself.
Estimate ear length of 500 year old man and draw a picture of his head

ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT
Estimating the ear length of a hypothetical 500-year-old man involves some speculative assumptions. Here’s a rough estimate based on hypothetical continuous growth:

Normal Growth Rate: Assuming a growth rate of 0.2 mm per year (as mentioned earlier), over 500 years, the ears might grow:

0.2 mm/year × 500 years = 100mm = 10cm

Typical Ear Length: A typical adult male ear is about 6-7 cm in length. Adding 10 cm of additional growth would make the total length approximately:

6 cm + 10 cm = 16 cm (approx.)

So, the ear length might be around 16 cm.

As for drawing a picture of his head, I can't create images, but I can describe how it might look:

Ears: Significantly elongated, extending about 16 cm downward.

Head: The head shape would likely remain similar to a typical human head, but the large ears might dominate the appearance.

Proportions: The ears might droop or sag due to their length, affecting the overall look.

If you’re thinking of a more stylized or creative approach, you could imagine an exaggerated version of this with larger, more dramatic ear features.
500 year old ears.jpg
500 year old ears.jpg (60.49 KiB) Viewed 1472 times

HighlyIrregular II

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:51 am

I may have under-drew the ears. I showed the picture to ChatGPT and asked for an age estimate.
age estimate based on ear picture.jpg
age estimate based on ear picture.jpg (272.9 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
I continued:
The rate of ear growth after 130ish years old isn't known. I think the best guess is that ear growth would continue at the same rate as that of a 100-130 year old.

ChatGPT said:
ChatGPT
That's a fair point! Since we don't have empirical data on ear growth beyond the age of about 130, assuming the rate remains constant, as observed in those up to around 100–130 years old, is a reasonable approach.

Based on your suggestion, we assume that ear growth continues at a steady rate (about 0.22 mm per year) beyond the typical human lifespan. This gives us a linear progression that can be used for estimating age in our hypothetical scenario.

If we consider this constant growth rate:

Ear Growth Rate
=

mm/year
Ear Growth Rate=0.22mm/year
and the difference in ear size is approximately 85 mm beyond a typical elder's ear size, our earlier estimate of 386 years still stands as a plausible estimate under this assumption.

So, maintaining this growth rate assumption, the estimate of the man’s hypothetical age based on ear size would still be around 386 years. This continuous growth model works well for the fun and hypothetical scenario we are discussing!