What are you reading?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: What are you reading?

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:03 am

Correct-o-mundo! Neil whatever puts me to sleep. Now that I've been sour, time to be sweet. *hug-kicks Catroptic's legs*
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:51 pm

A Horological and Mathematical Defense of Philosophical Pitch

"This is a short article written to copyright a pioneering idea in the realm of music theory. The problem with the concert pitch debate is that most every proposition has been subjectively reasoned, with no logical justification as to why any pitch makes more sense than any other. I note the origins of the second-hand in timekeeping and how they most sensibly relate to pitch frequencies in music based on the sexagesimal system to give us a further breakdown of time and measurement in tonality, which music is intended to do at its most fundamental. In this argument is a bit about why Five Limit Tuning is better than Equal Temperament, when it used with the Philosophical Pitch standard of C256, and a root key of A, to make a new set of stacking thirds pitches in the chromatic scale so as to make their lowest octaves the very numerators and denominators by which every note in the chromatic scale is derived to begin with. Altogether a tight and cogent argument."

Practical Data Science with Jupyter: Explore Data Cleaning, Pre-processing, Data Wrangling, Feature Engineering and Machine Learn
(I own a copy along with a crap ton of other DS/ML books if you're interested - just in the knowledge acquisition stage so I've nothing substantive to dialogue about my journey thus far)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:52 am

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:16 am

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:39 am

Weird as it it may seem I am working my way back through the King James Bible.

I am not especially religious, however I think you can't properly appreciate he canon of English literature and Western culture in general without having a working knowledge of he bible, Shakespeare and Plato.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:15 am

djm wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:39 am

I am not especially religious, however I think you can't properly appreciate he canon of English literature and Western culture in general without having a working knowledge of he bible, Shakespeare and Plato.
Marx and Trotsky would have agreed. :D

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:41 am

The Odyssey.

I had no idea the dad from the Simpsons was into Greek mythology.

(Thanks, I'll see myself out...)

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:38 am

djm wrote:

For Western culture I would probably also add Homer, Virgil and Dante to that list but yes.

As well as the King James Bible the Book of Common Prayer written by Thomas Cranmer had a great deal of influence on the development of the English language. Probably because for generations its sonorous couplets gave form to important life events.

I've been reading Chaucer's Canterbury Tales again but this time reading it in the original Middle English. There is something satisfying about being able to read your native language from the 14th century (or perhaps earlier ro the 13th) and seeing the vowel changes and how words have been adapted. Unlike Old English it isn't equivalent to learning a foreign language - more a very thick dialect. The resources here are excellent: https://chaucermetapage.org/old/chenglsh.htm
Ex falso, quodlibet

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:18 am

A Trip Into The Supernatural - Roger Morneau

Incredible Answers to Prayer - Roger Morneau

The Desire of Ages pg. 671 par. 2 - E.G. White

The Holy Bible - 2 Corinthians 4:18, Matthew 27: 24-54

Testimonies to the Church vol 8 pg. 21 par. 4 - E. G. White

The Faith of a Physicist - John Polkinghorne

The Church and Society - Dr. Calvin B. Rock (previous president of Oakwood College; has a doctorate in Ethics, etc). I just like the language he uses. I read everything. I no longer read occult stuff. Edit: Causes retrograde amnesia - makes you stupid. *Raises tardive dyskinesia stricken hand* believe me. I know.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:19 pm

djm wrote:

I've always liked Young's Literal Translation of the Bible. The King James Bible strays a bit from the original author's intentions in a number of ways that are significant if you care about the original intended message of the Bible.

Why Plato specifically? Socrates, Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius or Diogenes could be just as illuminating depending on what you want from your philosopher.