What are you reading?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: What are you reading?

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:00 pm

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:49 am

Tao Te Ching by Laozi

A snappy little book fully of pithy, sometimes ambiguous, and sometimes quotable observations. A foundational text. I'm not mentally fit enough to judge the contents, but I like the vibe.

Example Quote:
Man takes his law from the Earth. The Earth takes its law from heaven. Heaven takes its law from the Tao. The law of the Tao is its being what is.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm

I'm reading a very short novel called Pedro Páramo, by Mexican author Juan Rulfo. It's really beautiful, and apparently among the ranks of universal classics, even though most people will ask you "Pedro who? And who the hell is Juan Rulfo?"
ashi wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:44 am
I don't dare allow the full number to form, even in thought let alone in speech, but I have dozens of books occupying tenuous, fruitless positions on my to-read and in-progress lists which are in reality milk crates I spend increasing stretches of time pretending don't exist while I busy myself with ever more elaborate indulgences in malaise.

What I am trying to say is, if you really want to dive into this creeping unease I can recommend quite a few additional books you won't ever read.
I forgot to answer this. Sure I'll take a recommendation! Whether I can get it in the cultural wilderness that is Chile is another matter. :D

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 pm

Off Topic
Madrigal would you say Chilean women have a distinctive look and how would you describe it?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Whether I can get it in the cultural wilderness that is Chile is another matter. :D
:jerk:
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:00 pm
Off Topic
Madrigal would you say Chilean women have a distinctive look and how would you describe it?
Shouldn't that question be addressed to me? :happy:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Off Topic
Everyone has a distinctive look to a foreigner. If you asked me to describe a typical Chilean woman, she'd be rather short, tan skin, slightly almond-shaped eyes, wide oval-shaped face, long straight dark hair, and non existent waistline (a club I've joined lately :D). Also a high-pitched singsongy voice that's a mix of annoying and endearing.

Anyway if you google "Chilean woman", nobody will look like that. It's just an impression. I don't find Chilean women particularly attractive and I'd say the same about Argentinean women, although the stereotypical Argentinean woman looks different to me. When I arrived to Argentina I thought every woman had droopy eyes, a big nose, a flat chest, skinny, no waist or ass, but okay legs. Personally I find Colombian, Venezuelan and Cuban women tend to be quite hot, other countries' women in this hemisphere haven't caught my attention, not that I'm paying much attention.

All of this probably sounds racist or something. Good thing I'm not running for president or anything like that.
Utisz wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:41 pm
:P

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 am

Utisz wrote:
Madrigal wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm
Whether I can get it in the cultural wilderness that is Chile is another matter. :D
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Off Topic
Shouldn't that question be addressed to me? :happy:
Don't think you've gotten off easy mister. It's your turn to size up the Chilean gals. That is unless you agree with the Madrigal?

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:12 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 am
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Off Topic
Everyone has a distinctive look to a foreigner. If you asked me to describe a typical Chilean woman, she'd be rather short, tan skin, slightly almond-shaped eyes, wide oval-shaped face, long straight dark hair, and non existent waistline (a club I've joined lately :D). Also a high-pitched singsongy voice that's a mix of annoying and endearing.

Anyway if you google "Chilean woman", nobody will look like that. It's just an impression. I don't find Chilean women particularly attractive and I'd say the same about Argentinean women, although the stereotypical Argentinean woman looks different to me. When I arrived to Argentina I thought every woman had droopy eyes, a big nose, a flat chest, skinny, no waist or ass, but okay legs. Personally I find Colombian, Venezuelan and Cuban women tend to be quite hot, other countries' women in this hemisphere haven't caught my attention, not that I'm paying much attention.

All of this probably sounds racist or something. Good thing I'm not running for president or anything like that.
Utisz wrote:
:P
*John Mulaney voice* Okay, now I got it. :w00t:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 am
Don't think you've gotten off easy mister. It's your turn to size up the Chilean gals. That is unless you agree with the Madrigal?
I don't think he will do anything of the sort.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:29 am

I'm reading an article by Dr. Jonathan Couey: Research Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Pittsburgh, PA. (we met about a year and a half ago right before the publicization of the covid-19 pandemic. He's a nice guy. A little jaded but his perspective is interesting.

Article: 5 Concerns about SARS-CoV2 Biology: A Call to Pause, Deliberate, and Revise Policy

Here are some of his other links: researchgate.net, Youtube.com, Twitch.com, jjcouey.medium.com, scholar.google.com.

I'll probably read this tonight first as I get all hopped up on Jamaican Ginga' Beer bredrin, every ting irie!

Screenplay: Blade Runner 2049 by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green. Subsequently, I plan to re-watch the director's cut version.