What are you reading?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Utisz » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:23 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 am
Don't think you've gotten off easy mister. It's your turn to size up the Chilean gals. That is unless you agree with the Madrigal?
Madrigal wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:18 am
I don't think he will do anything of the sort.
Ah now, we see the violence inherent in the system!

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:18 pm

Nietzsche and the vicious Circle by Pierre Klossowski.

Read it a few years ago, but too busy to have enough head space for anything new. Recommend it to people that are interested in Nietzscshe (and if not then go stand on the naughty step).

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:32 am

The Name of the Rose - I’m worried I’m gonna miss a clue when I scan over a conversation about herbalism at the monastary. There’s really a lot of ideas I’d never thought about and historical context in this book. I can see why it’s so well regarded. I need something else I can fall asleep to.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:31 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:32 am
The Name of the Rose - I’m worried I’m gonna miss a clue when I scan over a conversation about herbalism at the monastary. There’s really a lot of ideas I’d never thought about and historical context in this book. I can see why it’s so well regarded. I need something else I can fall asleep to.
What the hell, I've been thinking of getting that book for weeks now, ha! What are the chances.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:49 am

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:31 am
MoneyJungle wrote:
What the hell, I've been thinking of getting that book for weeks now, ha! What are the chances.
I’ve been meaning to read it for a long time. I could swear I’ve bought it before and probably gotten rid of it without reading more than a page. The prose isn’t as dense as I feared. I’ve heard people talk about like it’s impenetrable but it just seems like a whodunit even a midwit like myself can enjoy (maybe I just haven’t gotten to the crazy part). It might even be better in Spanish, or at least closer to the original. There’s a lot of Latin I only kinda get. Weird coincidence. I wonder if it’s gotten popular again lately, I mean beyond it’s stalwart status as book on everyone’s shelf who has a ton of books. Maybe we’re just psychic cousins :D

ashi

Post by ashi » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:39 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
That book was a revelation when I found it at ... 14? Maybe I should re-visit it.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:49 pm

I am reading "The Fabric of Civilization: How Texiles Made the World" by Virginia Postrel.

I am very partial to long broad brush histories that focus on a specific resource such as "Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy History" by H.E. Jacobs (I mean to read his other book on coffee) and Daniel Yergin's "The Prize: The Epic Quest for Oil, Money, and Power".
Ex falso, quodlibet

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:01 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Oh are you? Worried? Do you need assistance. Perhaps you need some assistance. I love messing with you. :hi:

:ph34r: Reading is for people who suck at talking.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:28 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/japa ... index.html

The article reminds me of various Japan travelogues, such as by Alan Booth ('The Roads to Sata: A 2000-mile walk through Japan,') and Donald Ritchie's 'Inland Sea.' I think I still have the hardcover books, and their are similar types of books of the US as well, such as, 'A Walk Across America' by Peter Jenkins, and 'Down in Bristol Bay' by Bob Durr which involves Alaska.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

JB2

Post by JB2 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:15 am

Danger : 50 Things You Should Not Do With A Narcissist - by HG Tudor
I am about to reread 1984 - George Orwell
The book of Hebrews - Bible