What are you reading?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Catoptric » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:59 pm

I was watching

And came across PDF files of the cookbook used:
The Lady's Assistant for Regulating and Supplying Her Table: Being a ...
https://archive.org/details/ladysassistantf00masogoog

And in the "stew" recipe mentioned in the video they mention catchup, which historically was a stale beer boiled with anchovies.
https://www.atasteofhistory.org/catchup/

Which is the recipe from another 18th century cook book, “Cooking Made Plain and Easy, by Hannah Glasse.
https://ia800205.us.archive.org/5/items ... ookery.pdf

alt Mushroom ketchup Recipe
https://www.leparfait.com/recipe/mushro ... 502#page/1
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:01 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:32 am
The Name of the Rose - I’m worried I’m gonna miss a clue when I scan over a conversation about herbalism at the monastary. There’s really a lot of ideas I’d never thought about and historical context in this book. I can see why it’s so well regarded. I need something else I can fall asleep to.
Oh are you? Worried? Do you need assistance. Perhaps you need some assistance. I love messing with you. :hi:

:ph34r: Reading is for people who suck at talking.
Yes, I need assistance. I keep falling asleep and I still have two hundred pages left.

Or am I just so good at talking that it makes people uncomfortable? I mean, I don’t have anything of value to say but I don’t say ‘like’ or start sentences with ‘so.’

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:46 pm

ashi wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:39 pm
That book was a revelation when I found it at ... 14? Maybe I should re-visit it.
MoneyJungle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:05 am
Yes, I need assistance. I keep falling asleep and I still have two hundred pages left.
I was hoping to give it a go in Italian (I've done 3 years of Italian in 1 so I only started it a year ago) and I realized, when I scanned the online version of it, that my reading skills are still not good enough to take on a book like this. I could understand, but it would be like casting pearls before swine at this point. For a learner it would be a waste of a nice book.

So I did the logical thing and printed a copy of Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express in Italian. I will feel no remorse for wasting that book on my learning. I also never read Agatha Christie before. I grew up in a family of literature snobs who frown on bestsellers. This is fun now, I'm happy. :read:

Gonna try to read The Name of the Rose next year. There is also a book Umberto Eco wrote on translation, called 'Saying Almost the Same Thing' which I can't wait to read once my skills improve. :/

Umberto Eco sort of reminds me of Borges in his erudition. I find Borges difficult to read but rewarding once you get through it (I only ever read short stories of his). I don't suppose Eco will be easy even once the language isnt an obstacle.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 am

Empire series by Asimov and The Auctioneer by Joan Samson.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Eco fan here!

Have an aticle on the Umberto Eco book http://www.nannastudio.it/translating-i ... berto-eco/
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:36 pm

edit: on second glance at this post my eyes began to hurt so I've revised it.

Wrods and Rules by Steven Pinker MIT

https://samkriss.com/2011/09/ really cool article on my fav troubadour Sam Beckett's/Sambo's novel Molloy.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:20 am

click to read if you dare! <--- big-time sci-fi/fantasy novel inspirations inside. :soap:

Chris is a neat writer. He also happens to be friends with an acquaintance I've spent time with and therefore thought it useful to share his productions.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:29 pm
Eco fan here!

Have an aticle on the Umberto Eco book http://www.nannastudio.it/translating-i ... berto-eco/
Nice examples there! Now I want to read it even more, damn. Also, this is exactly the type of translation that I most enjoy doing, the kind that involves a lot of 'linguistic unfaithfulness' and figuring out a totally different way to say the same thing to a reader from another semiotic universe. I get some kind of satisfaction from just writing whatever I deem suitable and not what's in the source, lol. This is also why a translator needs to consume a lot of cultural products from the source and language(s) they work with, so they can always keep the pulse of that universe.

I got over my fear of translating from French because I read a lot in French for pleasure, so th culture doesn't feel alien to me. But I suspect that a lot of work will have to go into reading and listening to things in Italian and Portuguese before I can feel comfortable with them as source languages.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:28 am

last_caress wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:01 am
Empire series by Asimov
Really like the Foundation series, but a few years later picked up the Robot series and could not get into it. Not sure why.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:11 am

Edit: I am interested in information theory. Just don't care about the math yet. So I've since removed that pdf document with Information Theory lectures. Instead, I want to draw on the connections as to how Information Theory applies to current real-world problems and to why I have this strange auditory playback thing (tentatively my conclusion because no empirical evidence; I'm not a complete dangus). Anyway I know it's a contingency to compensate for being a human knick knack.