What are you reading?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Mashy

Re: What are you reading?

Post by Mashy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:51 pm

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant.

The signal to noise ratio is incredible. Every line delivers some sort of value.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:13 am

I usually read several books in parallel. Albeit more slowly.

I just finished The Song of Roland.

On the philosophy front I'm reading Spinoza's Ethics and a couple of commentaries (Lloyd and Scruton).

For history I am reading Tim Blanning's biography of Frederick the Great, a book on the cathedral of Notre Dame by Agnes Poirier and Tacitus's Histories (after the Annals, the book covers the Year of Four Emperors after Nero's death).

For literature I am reading (in Spanish) Conversación en La Catedral by Mario Vargas Llosa.
Ex falso, quodlibet

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:09 pm

Constructive Anatomy by George Bridgman

Mercurial

Post by Mercurial » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:53 am

Fall by Neal Stephenson.

Buttrock as zen
Formerly: stuck

Post by Buttrock as zen » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:05 pm

Still reading "historiography" but co-reading "Walden" now, which is pretty entertaining

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:13 pm

Mercurial wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:53 am
Fall by Neal Stephenson.
I was reading that one as well. Whew got sidetracked some time ago. Same with Agency by William Gibson. Need to get back to them.

Used to be a serial reader but more and more I hop between books ADD stylee. Added to that incomplete list is Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 pm

I know next to nothing about Freemasons and this book is a good place to start. I’ve heard a lot of schizoid theories about them controlling the world. Their symbolism is all over the architecture in my city. This book is a relatively dry history. The author seems more anti-Anti-Masonic than pro or anti Masonic himself. If you are interested in Enlightenment politics, you’ll probably enjoy this.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:46 pm

Wolf Hall. Upscale beach read about court intrigue during Henry VIII. Can’t stop thinking about Hank’s marriage to Katherine of Aragon vis a vis Hunter Biden’s tryst w/ his brother’s widow.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 pm
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/REMAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

I know next to nothing about Freemasons and this book is a good place to start. I’ve heard a lot of schizoid theories about them controlling the world. Their symbolism is all over the architecture in my city. This book is a relatively dry history. The author seems more anti-Anti-Masonic than pro or anti Masonic himself. If you are interested in Enlightenment politics, you’ll probably enjoy this.
I took a guided tour of a major Masonic temple a few years back. It was a beautiful old building and pretty interesting.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:43 am

last_caress wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 am
MoneyJungle wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:01 pm
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/REMAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

I took a guided tour of a major Masonic temple a few years back. It was a beautiful old building and pretty interesting.
I am not too far away from a Masonic cemetery I was thinking of walking around. Once I get thru the book I’m starting a thread. These people must be stopped and only this forum can do it.