Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Re: Little Rants

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:18 pm

Two different jiffy lubes said my battery and alternator are fine but you know what they aren't fine my car won't start. Jiffy lube just sucks. Fuck jiffy lube. Fuck you jiffy lube!

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:03 am

IMDB: if an actor was on Seinfeld, they’re known for Seinfeld. Looking at you Mark Harelik.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:13 pm

"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" is awful. I cooked something with it and I tossed it half eaten.

I mostly got it because I wanted to try a butter alternative and I remembered Fabio getting hit in the face with a bird filming a commercial for it.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm

My nearest megastore has had the friendliest lady manning the self checkout full time for several years. By friendliest I mean sing-songy annoying. I can hear her cloying the moment I enter the store. People don’t use self-checkout to exchange pleasantries! I truly pity her coworkers who have to listen all day.

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm
My nearest megastore has had the friendliest lady manning the self checkout full time for several years. By friendliest I mean sing-songy annoying. I can hear her cloying the moment I enter the store. People don’t use self-checkout to exchange pleasantries! I truly pity her coworkers who have to listen all day.
I had the opposite to the usual self-checkout need recently. Bought a big shop and it was just more efficient to use a full manned checkout. It did lead to a snarky google review though when there was just one checkout line open and the dude sat in the next one over put the sign on the belt when I walked up "till closed" then as some younger people joined the queue behind me, he took down the sign and waved them in!
I wrote in the review that if I wanted to self-checkout, I'd have stayed home and used Amazon, passive aggressive POW! non-assertive THWOP!

I don't really mind the interaction, anyway. It's usually some older, somewhat grumpy Scot [obvious redundancy here - all Scots are grumpy]
It always amuses me being called "Pal" if it's a man. Where I'm from the same friendly kind of nomenclature would be "mate" and if they stop calling you mate and start calling you pal, it's because you've probably pissed them off, or they're looking for trouble. Here, it starts at Pal, you're a base-level Pal, plus more "eh?" than a Canadian.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:49 am

Limey wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:48 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 pm
I had the opposite to the usual self-checkout need recently. Bought a big shop and it was just more efficient to use a full manned checkout. It did lead to a snarky google review though when there was just one checkout line open and the dude sat in the next one over put the sign on the belt when I walked up "till closed" then as some younger people joined the queue behind me, he took down the sign and waved them in!
I wrote in the review that if I wanted to self-checkout, I'd have stayed home and used Amazon, passive aggressive POW! non-assertive THWOP!

I don't really mind the interaction, anyway. It's usually some older, somewhat grumpy Scot [obvious redundancy here - all Scots are grumpy]
It always amuses me being called "Pal" if it's a man. Where I'm from the same friendly kind of nomenclature would be "mate" and if they stop calling you mate and start calling you pal, it's because you've probably pissed them off, or they're looking for trouble. Here, it starts at Pal, you're a base-level Pal, plus more "eh?" than a Canadian.
I find most places with a self-checkout nudge you towards using it. If I have a no line cashier or a self-check I’ll go with the cashier 90% of the time. I generally prefer the human interaction. When you make me bet on the people in a cashier line not slowing me down with their baloney, I have to bet that one in four people is capable of navigating an auto check, instead.

The pleasantries being exchanged at this particular checkout are pleasantries on steroids, with which I’m sure you became acquainted in the American south. The bless your heart bullshit. The raucous laughter at a child’s benign facial expression. The decibels. I’m all for warmth, but this is surface of the sun shit.

Pal is mostly preceded by the phrase ‘fuck you’ in my neck of the woods. (I’m reminded of South Park’s Terrence and Phillip ‘I’m not your buddy, friend’). I like that there’s somewhere pal is used in earnest. I mostly use ‘brother’ or ‘sir’. No middle ground.

ashi

Post by ashi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Goodnight, sweet prince, may the memory of your ridiculous laughter be a blessing to others.

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 pm

Life is just 7.67 billion talking apes flogging their egos over each other and I'm not any better than the rest. By God it is a dull affair.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 am

Earthquake here right now. Makes me more nervous than it used to, like what if it wakes Madrigal up. :O

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun May 02, 2021 3:43 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:01 am
Earthquake here right now. Makes me more nervous than it used to, like what if it wakes Madrigal up. :O
I thought I might have dreamed that.