Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Little Rants

Post by Madrigal » Fri May 21, 2021 3:15 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 6:42 am
If this fence isn’t up tomorrow my head is going to explode.
I'm almost afraid to ask. :ph34r:

Why are wood prices astronomical? Lockdown increased demand? Forest fires? Getting a house ready for sale is a really huge job, I sympathize.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri May 21, 2021 4:57 pm

I had to google ASMR.

I wonder if there is a buzz word for the feeling you get when you want to punch ASMR people in the face?

Wood prices are astronomical due to some pandemic related supply chain issues and high demand. I think the high demand is a result of bored unemployed people undertaking home upgrades with their government handouts.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sat May 22, 2021 8:15 am

Madrigal wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:15 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:

Why are wood prices astronomical? Lockdown increased demand? Forest fires? Getting a house ready for sale is a really huge job, I sympathize.
Still no fence but I woke up this morning and didn’t care anymore. I’m just going to treat my neighbor like I treat everyone else and experience dictates he’ll think I hate him. As for wood prices, we have too many guys who want to look like lumberjacks but would never jack lumber.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sat May 22, 2021 6:04 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 3:15 pm
MoneyJungle wrote:

The pandemic is making everything weird. Early on, most parts of the supply chain shut down and dumped stock to cut costs and recoup as much investment as possible, as things eased up construction of nearly every type grew rapidly. Suppliers can't keep up and the lower you are in the chain (growers, mills) the less you are benefiting from it. I have seen estimates that things could be out of balance for 10+ years. I would hate it anyway, but as woodworking is one of my main hobbies and a secondary source of income, it is ... tremendously frustrating.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun May 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Hatred exists in opposition to the inability (or the perceived frustration) to change something. If society evolved to adapt, hatred evolved as the entropy within the system of balance, and by it's very nature is necessary for the challenge of society to address it; and not yield to antithesis. If society produces evil it is because people did not have enough hatred to oppose it--instead merely conceding to it's evolution--and without change, society is no different, to not correct the course of hatred, to what is the perceived benefit. The problem of course is that people want to always believe they are right, and rarely is it common that people have been conditioned to think otherwise.

The 'enemy' to the 'hero' always thinks he is right, and from that, hatred breeds. . .

Regret is pathos--in the moment--of believing that the present and its outcome, would have been better served with hindsight, of its inevitability.

Not being tempered by resolve, regret is ephemeral as with ativism of the moment, the foregone conclusion of invalidation of choice (and not everyone has a choice) is the tendency to remain copacetic with the limitations of that experience.

When people believe things would have been different, they are often in denial of what brought them there; what tipped the edge or what set in motion the decision that would have made something irreversible, and was it not AT THAT MOMENT something that would have been redeemable to the outcome?

If by assuming that actions have meaning, it is best to learn from actions, so to address them, rather than to be controlled by them.

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup," so says, Bruce Lee.

For others the conversation might go like this:

Cheech : "This is not the key. I want the key." Timothy Leary : "That's the key to the universe."

http://www.morethings.com/fan/cheech_an ... lery02.htm
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm

The super was told by the building manager to find out what all the banging is from on my floor. It was me. If it was a contractor doing something he would have to be approved by management and there was no record of that happening on my floor. The super saw the groove I chiseled in the wall for conduit that will allow an internet cable to run concealed from closet to closet. He asked why I'm not doing it the easy way and running it through molding. I said this is cheaper. My previous plan was building a soffit from drywall which I still may do on the other wall but I didn't tell him. He warned me about the pipes in that other wall just incase I plan to chisel that one too and I reminded him that I'm the one who showed him the photos of those pipes and had him look through a hole I made to see them. He didn't know they were there before I showed him. Then I risked showing him where I ran a cable through the old master antenna conduit, to show I can do a good patching job. He said "nice" and not to worry about the old master antenna which no longer exists.

This came after a fine I received for something unrelated, but I was able to continue this project. Still, I'm reluctant to chisel deeper to avoid conduit bends so I'm off to Home Depot to be a big spender on flexible conduit.

Oh, it's plaster and I think concrete block, with just a little steel lath near the closet. I think concrete patch is the best filler for this but I'll probably use multiple coats of hot mud.
Attachments
hallway-wall-cable.jpg
hallway-wall-cable.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 3031 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu May 27, 2021 9:31 pm

I accepted a job and decided to take a peek at it before being able to start it. It's for a certain Ministry of Defense. :palm:

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri May 28, 2021 6:33 am

I'm not sure if this is a rant about the weather or my own stubborn nature.

Every spring, when the weather starts to warm up, I officially decide a point at which I turn the heat off. And once I decide it's heat off day, I refuse to turn it back on until fall. It seems wasteful to have the heat come on in the early morning, when by afternoon it can get up to the low 20's (celcius) and mother nature can just heat the house up. Usually, this happens in the first or second week of May. I think it was May 12 or so this year.

But we've had an unseasonable cool spell over the last week or so. Cloudy, which interferes with necessary daytime warming from the sun, and then cold overnight. It got to -2C the other night. So my indoor temperature can drop to mid teens (14C-16C) which is pleasant enough for outdoor activities (as one is usually active outdoor and the sun makes it seem warmer if it's out) but it is a bit cool for indoor living.

So the weather needs to get back to normal ASAP as I am both a bit chilly and castigating myself for my obstinacy.

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 pm

Now that things are opening up and people are talking about touring again I am thinking about how nearly everyone I would want to see is dead, in their 70s, or like Lori Lewis retired from touring at 30 because lol fuck you.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:03 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:10 pm
...the groove I chiseled in the wall...
That's all patched up and now and I have a nice long hole between closets. Next was to make a hole so the cable could exit the closet at the end of the hall, through concrete, with something steel to one side that nudges and binds the hammer drill bit. That attempt was super loud and caused enough vibration to make a light switch on the opposite wall fail. I replaced the switch and bought a smaller diameter drill bit. Hopefully I'll get through this without another visit from the super.