Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Ferrus

Re: Little Rants

Post by Ferrus » Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm

I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate, but I am curious to experience an earthquake at least once. All the small tremors that (theoretically) struck in the UK and Spain I slept through.
Ex falso, quodlibet

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun May 02, 2021 9:38 pm

I don't know about an earthquake, but I've actually got hurricane tourism on my bucket list.

Due to the unpredictability of earthquakes, I don't think there is any way to expect to experience one unless you take up permanent residence in an earthquake zone, which seems like far to much effort for what might be a modest thrill.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun May 02, 2021 9:53 pm

You could travel in time for some aftershock action if you're close enough to a large one.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Mon May 03, 2021 11:47 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm
I suppose I shouldn't tempt fate, but I am curious to experience an earthquake at least once. All the small tremors that (theoretically) struck in the UK and Spain I slept through.
I experienced a 7 Richter scale one once in Turkey. I was driving out of Adana en route to Mersin and it bounced the car off the road, Killed about 200 people in Adana where buildings that had no steel in the concrete (left out illegally to save cash) colapsed (including a primary school).

Not the most scary experience on the trip. That would be driving the mountain roads with a a driver that had downed a bottle of Raki with me.

Nearly got hit by lightning once too (in Poland). I'm a lucky bastard.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 am

djm wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:47 pm
Nearly got hit by lightning once too (in Poland). I'm a lucky bastard.
Nearly hit in what sense? Physical or temporal proximity?

Again I have never seen lighting at a close distance. My dad says he had a radio in his car blown out by lightning before though.
Ex falso, quodlibet

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue May 04, 2021 8:11 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm
(edit of an edit
You be a temptin fate's earthquake arrrr. But if he comes, lemme at 'em Ferrus, I'll swashbuckle that tremor to belzebub's laire. Arr have a night cap son. Let ole cap't save a bro tuck you in to sleep. There ya go. Be a good lad and no more temptin' fate now.
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Sun May 16, 2021 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Wed May 05, 2021 4:57 am

Strongest earthquake I've caught here was an 8.3.

Was in Japan for 5 days but managed to catch a 6.6 earthquake there. Was at a conference just coming into the upstairs lobby of the hotel and all the foreign conference attendees were shitting their pants, and I was all like :vcool:. That was a month before Fukushima.

djm

Post by djm » Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 am
Nearly hit in what sense? Physical or temporal proximity?

Again I have never seen lighting at a close distance. My dad says he had a radio in his car blown out by lightning before though.
Yes temporal proximity.

It was the year after communism collapsed and I was taking advantage of being able to visit cheap places. Was heading for a campsite near Poznan in the sticks, and it was raining cats and dogs. Then an electrical storm happened. The bolt of lightning in question was just the other side of a hedge from me, and maybe 3 yards away tops. I could smell the burned soil and it singed my eyebrows.

The most scary experience I have ever had though was a snapped lift cable in Russia. That was worse than the argument with a tribal chief in Yemen, of when I accidentally took a piss in a minefield. Mossad pulling me in for questions was't great either.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 am

djm wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 pm
The most scary experience I have ever had though was a snapped lift cable in Russia.
I have always been under the comfortable delusion that since Elisha Otis's invention of lifts with safety locking mechanisms this isn't a big deal, but this wasn't your experience?
Ex falso, quodlibet

djm

Post by djm » Thu May 06, 2021 9:09 am

Ferrus wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:00 am
djm wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:52 pm
The most scary experience I have ever had though was a snapped lift cable in Russia.
I have always been under the comfortable delusion that since Elisha Otis's invention of lifts with safety locking mechanisms this isn't a big deal, but this wasn't your experience?
It was in an old soviet era hotel in Sochi, and the lift went into freefall when the cable snapped. A safety mechanism did kick in a few second later and it then bounced up and down resulting in people bashing their heads on the roof. Eventually the doors opened and we had to climb up and crawl through a two foot gap at the top to get out as it had stopped some way below the floor three floors down from where we started. I suppose I should be reassured that the safety worked, but it was terrifying, and I most assuredly not reassured that where a lift has been so badly maintained the cable can snap that the safety mechanisms will be in working order in any event.