Worldly and otherworldly topics
Catoptric

Re: Little Rants

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:35 pm

Consumerism as Narcissism and Entitlement
https://brill.com/view/book/97894609111 ... WumUVEZWX8

Similarly: Religion Makes Children More Selfish, Say Scientists
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchamary/ ... 8114377aea

It's especially great when parents inculcate an entitlement mindset.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:17 pm

No home internet. Verizon sucks. Coughing, unmasked Covid man shut down my local library and everyone's second choice branch so I started walking to a little branch I know about, over a mile away. Then my branch re-opened. Then snow and it closed but little branch still open so I'm walking far again. It's always hot here. I couldn't log in here for some reason until I emailed the service desk. In the first days with no forum access, my email program would open whenever I entered intp.live in the address bar. I learned my laptop clock has to be correct or else my email doesn't work.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:12 am

Starbucks is a nice little expensive place where you can buy coffee and spend like forever on your laptop. Why don't they have double doors to prevent drafts whenever someone comes in?

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:08 am

RIP (Bob Saget)

Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:39 pm

His voice sounded pretty raspy in recent interviews. It made me think he was a heavy smoker.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:15 pm

** Argument: "Tesla is saving the world and destabalizing the fossil fuel industry(!)" **

It's more marketing than not: the amount of carbon emissions depends heavily on what infrastrastructure exists, which until all electricity is produced from renewable energy (which still requires manufacturing methods deemed sufficiently carbon neutral as well) or nuclear power, is not going away any time soon.

Mineral mining also exposes the water table to toxic minerals (birds swimming in aquifers left over from mining will die within hours of being exposed) and many parts of the world will probably be exploited for labor resources, much as Tesla has failed to be less forthright in disclosing their environmental impact when producing vehicles (and have been fined for lapses in ensuring their production wasn't derailed by faulty equipment. . .)

Until all electricity is sourced from renewable energy (which would generate apx 14-21 metric tons of carbon assuming the carbon requirements for a car built using today's infrastructure) the electricity used for equal lifespan is about 35-42 metric tons of carbon, compared to gasolines 50-53.

https://thecorrespondent.com/7056/why-e ... 0-afaa6e5d

About 91 grams of carbon emissions per kilometer are used for the electricity which may be less than gasoline, but it's probably easier to overlook the collateral effect of building something around a system that probably isn't that much more broken if people would be better invested in replacing components on existing technology, as well as not relying on an inherently wasteful society (which still throws away 91% of all plastics into landfills which nevertheless are made from petroleum, which also subsists off a consumer mindset that would continue the same behavior unless society revamps it's thinking of what hypocrisy entails.) The cars only benefit those who are in communities that are not existing within social detritus, which are largely given the primacy of tax allocation (subsidy funding for "green" solutions,) much as any company can promote "green" policies because it's an easy tax write-off, much like encouraging Bitcoin or crypto would be in their favor for similar reasons.

Similarly, a powerful company can take advantage of cities that don't perceive the long-term "collateral damage" from giving favor to companies that are extremely wasteful such as Amazon, that not only prey upon tax incentives, but also have a reputation for a negative track record, and continue to demonstrate their true motives (to make more money indifferent to the consequences.) Any pro-environment stance is pure virtue-signalling.

Also, these are very blanketed statements as a cheap gas car with a small engine is vastly more environmentally friendly than a "green" Tesla. A car that also isn't relied on because someone doesn't need to drive 30+ miles to work in some crappy place that could easily be work from home (though because a business wants to economize their staffing and micromanage refuses to allow it) is probably not the highlight of "green" conscientous objectors. . .

The problem is you get a bunch of mindless dumb fuck Tesla fanboys that feel cool in their electric toy and like the instant orgasm of power at their fingertips. . . Might as well drive an electric forklift around and see how the thrill wears off when you have to charge the fucking thing throughout the day and see how that reliability meets their demands. The only people proping up this technology are the very people that would render such technology as an entitled first world problem while forcing people relying on some basic subsistence to inhale the fallout that only a ego-driven trainwreck of society could feel privy to (while keeping the working serfs obseqiously at their perview in their shanty towns 30 miles away when their crappy electric car is probably not even dependable for more than 50 mph on a 60 mph highway with a 50 +/- minute full charge battery. . .

A company named Cenntro ($NAKD the lingerie company ticker) is a scam company from China that is using reverse mergers to introduce into the stock market on a shit stock ticker, and had already been in a lawsuit by investors in 2012 for defrauding them. . . You get crappy companies like Nikola who are equally abhorrent and merely pretending to work (after a factory ground digging ceremony is vacant in a desert well after initiating it,) in a similar way a company like Lucid (started by a person that helped create Tesla and went into his own company) had a similar thing with a stock ticker under a Churchill Capital Group IV and had lied about their growth potential which caused the stock to crash; is a common element with this "ethical," "green" trend.

A major reason much of recycling doesn't get utilized has to do with cost incentive, but also regulations involving battery waste (which may never properly account for them even if Li-ion is fully recyclable. Just because someone can construct a burger out of human feces doesn't mean people will be eating it.

https://cen.acs.org/materials/energy-st ... ium/97/i28

"Less pollution" is irrelevant with gas engines, as most likely people haven't truly accounted for long term sustainability, and if cars get damaged and leaked out,

Population growth expected to convert over to technology with very specific resource requirements could possibly be completely mined by 2040.

Lithium resources may end not long from now
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/will-lithium-run-out/

New options for batteries will obviously exist or have been discussed but that doesn't mean it will be implemented, and perhaps it will be entirely necessary to recycle batteries, as not doing so will be a major issue for available resources.

If people rely on them due to availability, society will have to address the limitations of technology and whether geopolitical competition with technology and resources is really where the focus shifts, rather than electric cars themselves and how cars facilitate the existing grid and cost to transition to accommodate it.

Electric might actually be a fad that will die out by necessity

Probably relevant

The $6,5000 cost to recycle the Tesla/EV batteries is more than the cost to buy a Geo Metro convertable brand new which was capable of 60 mpg (though of course it only has 50 hp. . .)

Conversely, a Cadillac with a 285 hp engine and an RV cabin built in 1956 was the same $6,500 (apx $70,000 today.) A house during that same time period could be easily bought for the same amount, and now houses are significantly more, while companies like Amazon are responsible for the massive waste problem.
- https://www.cordandkruse.com/vehicles/1 ... qgQlG3YerA

Just plastic in our oceans and water supply alone:

"Oceana estimates that up to 22.44 million pounds of Amazon’s plastic packaging waste entered and polluted the world’s freshwater and marine ecosystems in 2019, the equivalent of dumping a delivery van payload of plastic into the oceans every 70 minutes."
- https://oceana.org/reports/amazons-plas ... -revealed/

And yet throwing money at a problem brought about by inflation and gilded-age oligarchical "trickle down" capitalism has enabled for pure tax write offs while getting subsidies for industries that keep people trapped in their absurd "standards" of complicit hypocrisy, while it would have been completely possible to reduce the 91% of plastic that doesn't get recycled.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/arti ... -recycled/

Adding: All the lies Elon Musk speaks
https://elonmusk.today/
Last edited by Catoptric on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:42 am

Animal Advocates Release Video Of Andrew Renner And Son Owen Killing Black Bear And Cubs
https://allthatsinteresting.com/owen-an ... bear-video

Chicks swoon for Kim Jong-un (They can barely contain themselves. . .)
https://nypost.com/2014/04/24/chicks-sw ... jong-un/#7

Congressman Gerry Connolly posted on Twitter/FB that black education should be taught in schools (and I agree.)

Technically they do talk about this though given the limitations of education in school, don't be surprised if most will still gloss over the entire world's history or pretend to be unbiased (much as censorship leads to people doubting the truth of events such as the Holocaust.)
One concern is when looking at its history to consider that the "ruling elites" exploited labor forces (slaves) much as any modern business in which foreign (literal slave labor even if you might consider it "free-enterprise") labor is then exploited which is ironic considering black athletes have no problem promoting Nike branded merchandise.

Social inequality is what drives biases and entitlements, and the world, unfortunately, has always revolved around it, just as many nations in Africa were complicit in selling their own people. Since money often was key to getting into politics the wealthiest and most exploitative people were, unfortunately, the ones who owned slaves.

Though my family never owned slaves I did discover a book where the slaves were named after the plantation owners (Parr,) whom they never met in the decades they were a slave; and it's not much different from modern corporations and how modern economic systems are still rooted in antiquated practices used to exploit the labor forces while using methods of evading taxes (trillions are literally being hidden away in offshore or specific areas of the country where they will gladly ensure the "landowners" aren't being scrutinized for how they make money.)

A large part of censorship is realizing that the truth would often unsettle the "status quo," as people within government and the media will have to "face the music" of what challenges law-abiding citizens faced when expecting the government to represent them. Black cities all over the country since the time of slavery had corrupt federal government people firebombing or taking over properties even up to the present day, are not much different from corrupt backdoor dealings by lobbyists or Senators, or Presidents with ties to energy companies who do not want accountability in foreign jurisdictions (such as in Ukraine with Burisma, Biden was schadenfreude at the thought of getting rid of a prosecutor looking into Hunter Biden.) If governments are beyond borders and scrutiny, it doesn't suggest more transparency will alleviate the problem of systemic issues, that people would rather pretend doesn't exist.
Last edited by Catoptric on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:26 pm

"Dear Community Stakeholder:

On or about Monday, January 31, 2022, the New York City Department of Transportation, Division of Bridges will begin pile driving...The process, which requires installing structural columns into the ground, will take place Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. for approximately two weeks."

Why 7 AM!!!

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:22 pm

I've periodically come back to this topic: was Shigeru Miyamoto inspired from entheogens and various iconography? Did Toad flick people off in the original game? Did the Link/Zelda 2 game have prostitutes that healed you, much as the fairies in Zelda also offered their services?

'Mario Bros All Night Nippon' (promoted on a radio station) Japan exclusive for the FDS, uses a pentagram ("Star of Moloch/Remphan") for the star.

https://www.igdb.com/games/all-night-ni ... mario-bros

On another note I stumbled upon a CH11 affidavit on sexual misconduct allegations:

The Boyscouts look worse than the R.C.Church (though probably aren't.) https://www.pszjlaw.com/assets/htmldocu ... Claims.pdf

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:17 am

My mom watched a two-hour rugby game and never once noticed the goalposts.

https://www.sportsfield.com/products/goals/rugby-goals

I haven't watched a game in over 2 decades, but at least I'm not that oblivious.