Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Spartan26

Re: Little Rants

Post by Spartan26 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:16 am

Been having some issues with Outlook at work since the end of last week. Emails not coming through unless I shut it off and opened it back up, closing mysteriously, getting strange error messages, and asking if I'd like to rebuild something or another. Tried to get IT to fix it. They basically logged in remotely to my computer, sent themselves an email, it went through, and they declared it problem solved. I didn't think so. I had screenshot a couple of the error messages but they basically shrugged those off.

Meanwhile, there had been some long-term negotiations between us and another company. I got involved after a few months in and it didn't take too long for me to pick up that things had gotten more than a bit contentious at times. I didn't have to deal with that but I did have to sift through some numbers from the past year and was able to decipher and prove how much the other side owed us. I was kind of the hero. There was still smaller points to wrap up but I had a few calls and web conferences with someone from finance from the other side. We were anything but contentious. In fact, last thing I asked her when we last spoke was if she'd be up for talking outside of work. She said yes and that she'd send her info.

Cue: Total Outlook Crash!

I'm down for a couple of hours. For the most part I'm happy about this cuz I've got a long, time consuming project to get through and don't need any distractions. It opens up later but I'm missing a a good chuck of emails. Hard to say how many and I couldn't specifically say which ones but there were some folders I had set up that had nothing that wasn't added to them prior to today. Ballpark, I'm thinking I'm missing one out of five or six emails. IT can't get to me. It's possible something's corrupt. One thing I noticed was that there were two, one, two, emails that were supposedly there but unread. I couldn't find them. I know that before the crash, I had zero unread emails.

Can anyone not see how tomorrow this post is going to turn into Life's Cruddy Embarrassing Moments when IT, my mgr, the dept head, hell, the entire dept, whoever above me who was cc'd for me to get higher priority to my Outlook fixed, gets to read either a personal note & number from a rep from the other side or a "I'm flattered but I don't think it'd be appropriate to ... outside of work" response??

"We found your problem, Spartan. Apparently Outlook was being a good wingman and flush this diss down the drain. Sorry it clogged everything up. Maybe next time, bruh."

I so can't wait to go in tomorrow.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:04 pm

I just did 8 hours of work from 6 am to 2 pm on a Sunday.

I have more work to do. <_<

ashi

Post by ashi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:48 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 pm
I literally spent my entire childhood with cankersores because my mother would make me eat an orange with my breakfast every morning. The only times I didn't eat the orange were when my mouth was riddled with cankersores. After they'd heal, I'd go back to eating the morning orange, and the cycle would repeat. Nobody made the connection
Are you me? My tongue hurts reading this. I haven't had an orange in 20 years and I can still smell and feel them in my hands. As a small child I would sit on the floor with an orange in a bowl and eat it while I watched films with my mother. When re-watching some scenes, I can taste it still.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm

ashi wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:48 pm
Are you me? My tongue hurts reading this. I haven't had an orange in 20 years and I can still smell and feel them in my hands. As a small child I would sit on the floor with an orange in a bowl and eat it while I watched films with my mother. When re-watching some scenes, I can taste it still.
Ha! And going to school smelling like orange. :D It would be great comfort food today but I can't risk it. Once in a while I forget and pay the price.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:43 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:33 pm
ashi wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:48 pm
Ha! And going to school smelling like orange. :D It would be great comfort food today but I can't risk it. Once in a while I forget and pay the price.
Le prix à payer, my dear! The voyage to flavour town comes at a fare most terrible. 👿
Last edited by ashi on Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:44 am

I spent Tuesday doing the wrong work. I won't sleep till Saturday because of it. What a dumbass.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:37 am

My recall is going to hell and the thought of it worsening over my remaining years is terrifying. Did I already post this?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:26 am

Reggaeton seems to have become crap.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:34 am

A friend is confiding in me and seeking advice concerning matters of the heart, a proposition so ill-timed and otherwise farcical that I can't even decide which aspect to laugh inappropriately at let alone what this dumb dildo* should do about some woman who is probably just being nice and not "terribly flirty". The highlight of my CV is, of course, my marriage to and divorce from a Catholic but the most recent entry just ended with me inadvertently getting her back with her ex, so I am surely the shop of last result in the grand market place of relationship advice. And yet, here we are.

*said with love. more or less.

Limey

Post by Limey » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:26 pm

On a phone call with insurers today and as soon as I had to speak, a huge seagull plopped itself right outside the window and started braying at me, maintaining eye contact and making a sound that could only be described as a donkey and an old woman from Georgia in coitus.

oaagh!-oaaaarrrrggh-OAARRRGGGGH!-AaaaAAAAARGH!-awwwwgh!

The people on the call must have been wondering what I was watching in the background.