Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Little Rants

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:28 am

I put my medicine cabinet back in after patching the wall for weeks (on and off) and now it stresses me out a little seeing myself in the mirror so often. I think I look OK but I feel I have to look at myself when the mirror is right in front of me and I don't want to.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:05 pm

I went to high school with Michael John Hendricks. He was/is an odd specimen. Now he's in prison for dismembering a person - go figure (Grain Valley with accomplice something Ybarra *shudders*). It's unfortunate. Just because one is "different" doesn't mean you have to be evil and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Yikes, be careful what we put into our brains people. Truth anyhow.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:21 pm

Someone was claiming that Facebook was 'out' because the DNS server routing was deleted (implying it was GONE,) and the fact that it hasn't come on again (apparently 6 hours ago; which I just now realized because I wasn't logging into it) probably suggests they don't have a proper backup system in place, or something is really preventing it from being operational.

Also, Facebook started the same exact day as DARPA stopped their Lifelog (or whatever it's called) and the person in charge of Lifelog Building 8 was put in charge of the Facebook Portal that houses most of Facebooks data system. . . (which people also refer to as Building 8 because of the similarity)

https://sociable.co/technology/facebook ... uilding-8/

Not sure that a foreign government would be opposed to Facebook, or if it's just something random that really messed up (without a backup in place, which I kind of find unusual.) That or Zuckerberg is "going Dark" to restructure something (or perhaps the files are being looked at in court records?)

It's a bit too weird and I suspect it's a much bigger story than people realize, as a new legal situation regarding:

Facebook urges court to throw out FTC’s antitrust suit — again
https://nypost.com/2021/10/04/facebook- ... uit-again/

Facebook urges court to dismiss latest F.T.C. antitrust suit.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/tech ... -suit.html

And a bigger story, because this happened in the news just prior to that
Whistleblower: Facebook is misleading the public on progress against hate speech, violence, misinformation
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-w ... 021-10-03/

I bet Zuckerberg is hoping people will beg the courts to, "Leave Zuckerberg Alone!"

Facebook is evil, and the kinds of work the censors do gives them PTSD from what they witness about human nature.

Conspiracy Theories About Facebook Outage Spread Even Without Facebook
https://www.vice.com/en/article/4avjqb/ ... ign=211004

On another note: This company has been hacked for years and only now discloses it, and is responsible for billions of text messages sent out annually. If Facebook was likewise the source of all those spam ("Your car warranty is about to expire") calls, then you have to wonder what all happens without the disclosure.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/z3xpm8/ ... ign=211004
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 am

I'm glad I never gave my real name or email address to Facebook. Once, a sister of an old friend mentioned my last name to ask if it was me. Don't do that people! It's back online for me now.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am

I'm proud to say I did not notice Facebook or any of its devil children were down although I have a mostly dormant facebook account and do find whatsapp convenient for group messaging on occasion.

I think I would notice if whatsapp was down for more than a week or two and facebook more than, uhm, three months.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:05 am

Museums with misleading Pay As You Wish policies like NY's American Museum of Natural History. If you're local, then then you can "pay as you wish" but if you dig deep enough on their webpage you'll see that for Pay As You Wish" visitors, "The fee is suggested at $23 for adults, $18 for students with ID, $18 for seniors (ages 60 and up), and $13 for children (ages 3 to 12)." The normal, non-Pay As You Wish fees are "Adult $33 | Student (with ID) $27| Senior (Ages 60+) $27 | Children (3–12) $20 | Member Free." Before they even had a website I remember the fee being "voluntary" and I was surprised at the door when they were stopping people who tried just walking in without paying. A guy said something like he qualified for the voluntary payment and was told about the reduced suggested fee, but I don't even think they said "suggested." he paid.

This came to mind because I'm planning on visiting the office of an organization with a large archive of documents that I'm interested in. People make appointments to visit and I'm currently working out a time. They accept donations on their website and I'd be getting personalized help during my appointment at their office, so I'm thinking I'm going to feel almost obligated to make a donation. The only option for donations on their website is by mail. There's no membership and no suggested amount so I get to figure that out for myself. I wonder if they'll give me a hint or have an in-person donation option when I get there. Maybe I'll ask if they could use a volunteer so they'll know I'm a good guy even if I don't donate.

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:29 pm

Dear diary, today I took such a huge shit I actually had to wipe my taint off. That's a first. At least my pants almost fit after. Yeah I know bidet, we're getting there. Need a house owned under my name to attach it to first. I deleted my facebook but who cares. My twitch account got hacked along with the rest and I didn't even change my password, nobody nefarious gives a fuck about me but the indian scammers. Those fake adderall websites really are fake, who knew.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:25 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:05 am
Museums with misleading Pay As You Wish policies like NY's American Museum of Natural History. If you're local, then then you can "pay as you wish" but if you dig deep enough on their webpage you'll see that for Pay As You Wish" visitors, "The fee is suggested at $23 for adults, $18 for students with ID, $18 for seniors (ages 60 and up), and $13 for children (ages 3 to 12)." The normal, non-Pay As You Wish fees are "Adult $33 | Student (with ID) $27| Senior (Ages 60+) $27 | Children (3–12) $20 | Member Free." Before they even had a website I remember the fee being "voluntary" and I was surprised at the door when they were stopping people who tried just walking in without paying. A guy said something like he qualified for the voluntary payment and was told about the reduced suggested fee, but I don't even think they said "suggested." he paid.

This came to mind because I'm planning on visiting the office of an organization with a large archive of documents that I'm interested in. People make appointments to visit and I'm currently working out a time. They accept donations on their website and I'd be getting personalized help during my appointment at their office, so I'm thinking I'm going to feel almost obligated to make a donation. The only option for donations on their website is by mail. There's no membership and no suggested amount so I get to figure that out for myself. I wonder if they'll give me a hint or have an in-person donation option when I get there. Maybe I'll ask if they could use a volunteer so they'll know I'm a good guy even if I don't donate.
This feels like I'm reading William James Sidis's pedantic diary ... fml buncha nerdle mc gerdles you lot are. I'll be back soon with something nice to say to soothe the soul and make life flow. Fo' now Ima go pway in duh sandbox.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:17 pm

Bitch doesn't answer my question about making copies. Just gives me a time. Then I ask whether they could make it later and no reply. I don't even know what they have in their collection, just that it pertains to the general subject, and it's probably also held by the city so I could get it mailed under the Freedom of Information Law instead of going in person to their office. I didn't like that they're a housing advocacy organization. The City balances a lot of important stuff and this organization has one focus. I hate that. And I was ready to donate my time or money to them! I'm glad they never got back to me!

And fuck drain openers!

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:29 am

I just read a study that traces the matrilineal lines of several regulars (customers who frequent Walmart) at low-income grocers and discovered they all converged in a common birthplace. They all are the progeny of past burning man attendees or any event where people have unprotected juicy coitus *room temperature squishy raw beef noises*. I'll leave a link in the ... :happy:

(edit) c'mon you know it's true.