Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Re: Little Rants

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:48 am

There are all of these psychology articles about how punching pillows, punching bags or walls doesn't help with anger and makes it worse but I think they're missing the point. In the long run of course that doesn't help but in the heat of the moment it's a huge improvement on screaming at people. After you're doubled over sucking wind it's so much easier to engage normal coping skills. It's an excellent stopgap between hulk tantrum and eat pray love

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:48 pm

Maybe this belongs in Science Microthreads, but it's bad science. If a baby doesn't figure out how to get off of part of a cart so it can be pushed, or doesn't want to bother working out a process, or decides he's supposed to push it in the normal rear-push position, it doesn't mean he's not aware of himself. All that study determined was that kids of a certain age, for whatever reason, get off the blanket to move the cart. I remember being in my crib thinking stuff about me.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:50 pm

Linked-in is a contrived, cringey, shitpost.

https://bettermarketing.pub/why-is-link ... b29ca60833

And most of social media (or derivitive entertainment) for that matter.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Catoptric wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:50 pm
Linked-in is a contrived, cringey, shitpost.

https://bettermarketing.pub/why-is-link ... b29ca60833

And most of social media (or derivitive entertainment) for that matter.
No, but tell me how you really feel? Thanks for offering solutions instead of just insults. I learned something new.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:41 pm

I signed up to 4-hr Tuesday classes this semester. I see only one other student in Google Classrooms and it starts tomorrow. This is gonna be awkward.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:23 am

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:41 pm
I signed up to 4-hr Tuesday classes this semester. I see only one other student in Google Classrooms and it starts tomorrow. This is gonna be awkward.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 pm

I just discovered I’m going to be dealing with a lengthy bicycle detour for months. Day one: immediately upon taking the detour I’m confronted with a middle aged man with his pants around his ankles swinging a sock full of God knows what over his head. I’m starting to hate this city.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:06 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 pm
I just discovered I’m going to be dealing with a lengthy bicycle detour for months. Day one: immediately upon taking the detour I’m confronted with a middle aged man with his pants around his ankles swinging a sock full of God knows what over his head. I’m starting to hate this city.
Wonder if your detour is located in old Sac ... :lol:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am

This might be more hot air, but the Taliban swallowing Afghanistan the second we pull out the few troops that were left is... no it's a rant. This reminds me so much of Vietnam (yes I remember watching that debacle), it's like in 50 years we learned nothing. George Bush I was right, win the war if you have to have a war and get out (Gulf war 1990). We mucked around in Vietnam for 10 years and the moment we pulled out, South Vietnam folded.

What did the military learn? Don't do the draft - that causes anti-war sentiment and unrest. Now we can fight an endless bush war for 20 years with volunteers before the civilian govt finally calls it quits -- except the result is the same. The Afghan govt is folding like a house of cards.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:15 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:06 am
MoneyJungle wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:03 pm
Wonder if your detour is located in old Sac ... :lol:
Oldest sac I’ve seen since they closed the gym! (Oddly enough the detour is near Old Sac)
starjots wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am
This might be more hot air, but the Taliban swallowing Afghanistan the second we pull out the few troops that were left is... no it's a rant. This reminds me so much of Vietnam (yes I remember watching that debacle), it's like in 50 years we learned nothing. George Bush I was right, win the war if you have to have a war and get out (Gulf war 1990). We mucked around in Vietnam for 10 years and the moment we pulled out, South Vietnam folded.

What did the military learn? Don't do the draft - that causes anti-war sentiment and unrest. Now we can fight an endless bush war for 20 years with volunteers before the civilian govt finally calls it quits -- except the result is the same. The Afghan govt is folding like a house of cards.
I had a light participation in this war (a couple of deployments on an aircraft carrier) and I largely agree. I often wonder what it would’ve looked like if the US had conscription during 9/11 (the kind the sons of the ruling class can’t worm their way out of). I, in no way, view what I did has having served the country.