Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Senseye

Re: Little Rants

Post by Senseye » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:56 pm

starjots wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am
The Afghan govt is folding like a house of cards.
I'll say. Reminds me of that old joke about French army rifles - never been fired only dropped once.

From what I gather, the Afghan government forces just tuck tail and run at the first sign of the Taliban. I don't think they ever put up any sort of fight. And in true Arab fashion, the government leaders just bullshit about how they will get it all turned around, any day now.

The whole endeavour was a complete waste of time. I think everybody with any sense knew this, but war is a lucrative business. Most of the trillion dollars spent ends up in the pockets of folks with lots of political influence, so I expect more pointless military actions of this nature to occur in the future. Good ol' crony capitalism at work.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:29 am

Senseye wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:56 pm
starjots wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:05 am
The Afghan govt is folding like a house of cards.
I'll say. Reminds me of that old joke about French army rifles - never been fired only dropped once.

From what I gather, the Afghan government forces just tuck tail and run at the first sign of the Taliban. I don't think they ever put up any sort of fight. And in true Arab fashion, the government leaders just bullshit about how they will get it all turned around, any day now.

The whole endeavour was a complete waste of time. I think everybody with any sense knew this, but war is a lucrative business. Most of the trillion dollars spent ends up in the pockets of folks with lots of political influence, so I expect more pointless military actions of this nature to occur in the future. Good ol' crony capitalism at work.
I was obtaining accouterments (because I can foo) from the local crap shack. His beard, his whole getup said pissed (edit) off Middle Easterner. So I asked the dude to confirm my suspicion. Then his buddy interjects about how screwed up the situation is back home (Afghanistan). Grimmace answered my question in the affirmative, "Yeah ...". Then proceeded to stare me down like a burly monster aiming a basketball cannon at me from the flick Space Jam. To the uninitiated, it seemed I'd conceded. But we all know the eyes never lie. I did a saccade equivalent of Michael Jordan scooping and tossing what was meant for intimidation ... re-transitioned into a nod at the coo-de-la clerk co-worker and...

(tl;dr - this week I rolled my eyes at a psychotic person. the end)
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:08 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:15 am
I had a light participation in this war (a couple of deployments on an aircraft carrier) and I largely agree. I often wonder what it would’ve looked like if the US had conscription during 9/11 (the kind the sons of the ruling class can’t worm their way out of). I, in no way, view what I did has having served the country.
I had 'light participation' in the First Gulf War providing theatre-level networking support (the internet before it was the internet). My feeling about that was/is generally positive. Big coalition, get in/get out, balance of power in region vis a vis oil maintained, etc. A pragmatic war fought mostly for national interests - and a lot of other nations going along because of their national interests.

It was also 'fun' to see the cold war built up US military put to use (when I heard that the armored divisions being deployed from Europe to Saudi Arabia - holy shit, I knew Saddam was toast). If I sound a bit gleeful, I was more military-ish then.

Seems to me anytime a war lasts very long the draft should be automatic, men and women. And wars should be declared, how the hell do we get back to that and away from this congressional resolution stupidity? Both measures would go a long while to ensuring we only fight when we have to and get us away from this police responding to a call role - and the super inflated budgets - for the 'defense' forces.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:31 am

I put a comment on the old Battalion facebook page and I got a big spiel back in Maori. Now I have to figure out how to be concise and cutting in Maori... ka ne na.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 am

https://fb.watch/7KI9hfJqL3/

San Francisco has turned into a hell hole; and perhaps it's always been?
https://www.zocalopublicsquare.org/2019 ... alifornia/
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:36 am

My apartment is pretty high but I guess I should save some bottled water.

I hope people who needed to leave got out on time. "Notification issued 09-02-2021 at 12:50 AM. Due to severe weather, there is a travel ban in effect beginning now until 5:00 AM on 9/2. All non-emergency vehicles must be off NYC streets and highways."
Attachments
flood-emails.jpg
flood-emails.jpg (107.13 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am

Catoptric wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:07 am
I bought Dogecoins (knowing they would go up) and sold them immediately after because I was disgusted with the absurdity of how the stock market works, and what drives it.

I would have had $7 million, and I still don't give a fuck. . . I don't know if it's depression or indifference to how I view society, and I've been trying to track it down to this:
Oh, bother.

I invested $19 in BitCoin a few months ago when the pandemic seemed to be wrapping up. The value dropped, so I bought some just because. Well, now I have $26! /coasting
I commonly self-sabotage and did the same thing with covid affected stocks, and I knew ahead of time which ones were prone to go up. . . I didn't buy any of them and actively did PUT options on things I knew would likely be going against trends in the market, simply because I couldn't stand the absurdity of it and figured I would stop trading if I didn't have money to invest in it.
I can tolerate the absurdity because I have little to lose. Hell, I don't even know how to spend it. Like Walter White.
https://thriveglobal.com/stories/7-ways ... e-success/
https://www.healthline.com/health/menta ... n-children

Also, I absolutely despise people and the indifference to things I wish were more redeeming; I absolutely refuse to agree with this, because I know it isn't true:
https://www.livescience.com/57991-confl ... ation.html

People facilitate their involvement with others out of selfish interest, that it is better to be a part of society and gain the rewards of being a part of the herd--pretending to care and actively doing things that goes with the stream of human activity--and much of it is charlatan chicanery.
Do you see yourself as different? How? I'm not being sarcastic. Genuinely curious.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:15 pm

I thought dragon fly swarms were a hot weather thing but they apparently like to come out after torrential downpours too.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:19 pm

MissBingo wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:02 am
I invested $19 in BitCoin a few months ago when the pandemic seemed to be wrapping up. The value dropped, so I bought some just because.
Off Topic
I liked you. :nope: :lol:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:28 am

I just discovered that there are comments with some of the reputation I received. I knew I could see who repped me but I never noticed any comments for some reason.