Little Rants

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Little Rants

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:04 pm

I put two twist-on connectors on coaxial cables five weeks ago and the back of my forearm still hurts when I lift something heavy. It feels like a more minor version of the tennis elbow I got about 15 years ago. Being 15+ years older probably means it will heal more slowly. It may not heal until 2022.

Don't get the twist-on connectors. Get a crimp or compression tool. I have a crimp tool but I wanted to use up old twist-on connectors and I wanted to be able to untwist and reuse them in case I shorten the cable. Never again.

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Trying to book flights to Mexico City. Airlines. suck. I would drive thousands of miles in my own country rather than screw with an airline, airports, booking tickets, etc etc, but that's not an option.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:28 pm

They should go back to making doorways the strongest part of the ceiling. Standing in a doorway is supposedly no longer safer than standing in a different part of a home during an earthquake because of modern construction techniques. When there's a partial building collapse from an earthquake or an event like in Miami Beach, sometimes doors won't open, trapping people. I was thinking of getting a fire rescue tool in case that happens to me but there's a danger of forcing open a door that's holding some of the weight of a partially collapsed building. The best way to deal with this is to make doorways stronger.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:22 pm

starjots wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:58 pm
Trying to book flights to Mexico City. Airlines. suck. I would drive thousands of miles in my own country rather than screw with an airline, airports, booking tickets, etc etc, but that's not an option.
You must check out Teotihuacan on the outskirts of the city. It blew my mind when I went there with my high school Spanish class. Actually seeing it in person... pictures never did it justice. They were actually ruins already when the Spaniards got there, and still rather mysterious to archaeologists/historians today.

Actually, a lot of things on that trip blew my mind.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:37 pm

Bill Cosby's sex assault conviction overturned
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57671012

And Amazon is offering to it's associates a free livestream of Diplo who (when seeing who/what that is) just days ago had a sexual assault charge levied against him.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xagw955r3m9h9 ... s.jpg?dl=0

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 00948d0daa
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:24 pm

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:22 pm
starjots wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:58 pm
You must check out Teotihuacan on the outskirts of the city. It blew my mind when I went there with my high school Spanish class. Actually seeing it in person... pictures never did it justice. They were actually ruins already when the Spaniards got there, and still rather mysterious to archaeologists/historians today.

Actually, a lot of things on that trip blew my mind.
Actually we are going early just to see this and a few other sights around Mexico City. This is all completely new to me -- New Mexico isn't Mexico as I've learned from my daughter in law. Looking forward to it now that the trip is booked.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:38 pm

I left Optimum Online when they gave me the run around when I tried getting a better price or lower level of service. Since then they've been sending me offers I can't refuse, like 1/4 what I'd been paying, but I've been refusing because I hate them. I've been on DSL and I intend to contact the ISP to eliminate the phone line and save some money. Until then, I've been messing with people who call. I just received a call and answered "Fuck you want?" Then an Indian call center sounding guy unmuted himself and said "Hello?" I said "Fuck you!" and hung up. Two minutes later I lost my internet connection but the trouble shooter fixed it. Decent chance the call center guy did it.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:16 am

https://www.salon.com/2010/12/06/america_collapse_2025/

12 year old article... How America will collapse (by 2025)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:39 pm

If you have to wear something "with confidence" for it to work, it shouldn't be worn. That's a thing, where fashion savvy people say something has to be worn with confidence. I was watching David Letterman in a drapey sleeved sports coat and it reminded me of a drapey Italian suit that a sales guy had me try, which reminded me of the sales guy's dumb shoes. I guess I'm supposed to accept that those shoes work since he sells suits, but it's not happening.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 pm

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/yabba-d ... -t-1.77682

This is the only source in English that I found - there are lots in Dutch. I don't know how this attempt to surrealist humour turned prison sentence isn't better known.
Ex falso, quodlibet