Little Raves

Worldly and otherworldly topics
djm
Formerly: djm

Re: Little Raves

Post by djm » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:22 pm
Lol, we just changed to 12 hour shifts and I now mainly don't work more than two days in a row.
I am slightly workaholic, I think it comes with the autism. Before I met A I was falling asleep most nights in my office and would forget to eat for days. I don't think this helped when I got cancer as I was significantly underweight. These days A does insist I take breaks and I do eat every day.

I don't expect people that work for my company to follow my example though, I operate extremely flexible working practices. I think if people know they can skip work to sort out their personal life, for the most part they make sure the work gets done and they are happier. One of my team is up in Scotland at the moment as his mother in law broke her hip and needs help. His wife is a nurse, and the NHS would not give her paid leave (they could, but chose not to which is disgraceful). He is keeping on top of things as best he can but I certainly won't pressure him.

A couple of years back I won 'businessperson of the year' in my region. It is the first time anyone running an SME has won it, rather than an exec at a large enterprise (the previous winner was the CEO of British Aerospace). I am pretty sure it was the session where they went around the company and talked to my team that made the difference.

But to get back on point. Not working more than two days in a row would bring me out in hives.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:05 pm

I wanted to casually thank elfsprin for encouraging a journey down nostalgia avenue from when I took a recreation and leisure course at college. The best course so far, tbh. It got me to questioning something several folks in the BDSM community refer to as "water sports". I wanted to ask anyone willing to not get pessimistic about my -captain obvious- inquiry what criterion you use to qualify an activity as sport. Because apparently there's much contention on the matter regarding things like i.e. snooker, billiards, chess, golf,
cow tipping, beer drinking, darts, droning (heh) et cetera as anything other than creative forms of recreation and/or leisure vs sport. Whatcha think?

:popcorn:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

starjots

Post by starjots » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:04 am

I just discovered something to add to the bucket list. Years and years ago I went to a star party and got a look through a 30" telescope mounted in a VW bus. It was a planetary nebula, forget which. It looked like a photograph - colors galore, blew my mind.

Haven't seen anything like with the naked eye since.

The world largest amateur telescope is a 70" (1.8 meter) monster - that's 5x the mirror size, 2 visual magnitudes deeper than the 30" and four visual magnitudes deeper than my 15". It's primary mirror is a surplus spy satellite mirror. It telescope was built by a truck driver who must also be a mechanical genius. And it's open to the public in Utah (1.5 states away), you just have to get there when a public event is going on.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:12 pm

Some ten year old girl on a bicycle just smiled to me and said ‘good afternoon.’ :hat: Didn’t know they made such kids these days. Not that they made such kids back in my day. Of course my mind goes from thinking about how proud her parents must be to the fact that the world can grind friendly people to dust. Still made me smile.

rincon
Formerly: rincon

Post by rincon » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm

Limey wrote: So far, this remini app is the only real one doing it out there. The rest are nowehere near as well developed in their AI. It probably won't be long until Adobe try to monopolise it.
I found this tech intriguing but after only a cursory amount of research discovered some pretty alarming reviews, including security/privacy issues, pervasive ads, payment issues and general corporate fuckery. Ugh. Does this match your experience?

Limey

Post by Limey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:53 pm

rincon wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm
I found this tech intriguing but after only a cursory amount of research discovered some pretty alarming reviews, including security/privacy issues, pervasive ads, payment issues and general corporate fuckery. Ugh. Does this match your experience?
No. I had a quick look at reviews again since last time. Whining cunts!
It's amazing, next generation technology that uses an AI GAN (learning based artificial intelligence) and they're all complaining that you only get 5 a day and have to watch an ad to get them, or that the subscription (unlimited enhances, scratch removals, colourising, animation etc) -"only" includes 5 pro cards. I don't give a fuck about pro cards, I get to convert pictures to a quality better than I could do manually with hours of painstaking clone brushing and layering in about 15 minutes using fuzzy logic.

I'm getting better at feeding in what looks like hair, hairstyles, eyebrows, irises etc. You can virtually bring people back from the dead, whose last memory of their existence is an old folded up photograph.

I can't get enough of old photos at the moment. I'm doing them for complete strangers. I don't have any misconception that my data privacy will be sketchy as it's China. I'm happy my subscription is through the google play store as intermediary as I wouldn't give such a place my payment info otherwise. I can't say enough good things about it, but if you don't like it so much, use it only five times a day and watch some ads, I don't get all these negative reviews. Whining fucks want the latest tech for free. I'm not normally arguing in favour of copyright and intellectual property, but fuck, if you like it, pay for it. This thing is amazing. I'm still blown away by how it can bring back photos from the dead.
another example (and this is exactly what she looked like):

here's another one I was alluding to from yesterday. A picture of an old crumpled picture, held in the hand, brought back to over 4K resolution and colourised with great detail. This is a shrunk version of the output!

Before

After

Limey

Post by Limey » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:10 pm

I don't know if I want to live in a world where you can't tell your friends that they have hot grandmas.

puttin' the ocho into octogenerians!

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:09 pm

That gal has some great teeth for what I assume is the pre-braces (and maybe pre regular dental care) era.

I suspect the enhancing process gave her the benefit of the doubt though. All you can really tell from the original is she has teeth.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 am

Very cool $699 transforming Optimus Prime....

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:35 am

JohnClay wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:22 am
Very cool $699 transforming Optimus Prime....
JohnClay I think this is way cool. Unfortunately the wannabe engineer in me visited the website that says, "60 microchips and 27 servo motors" and read their patent/s (you have to translate them to English), which blatantly announce the tech as simple and it is because the parts are cheap. At $699 you'd think the thing'd do more than be a rip off from previous versions with a bonus bluetooth connection.

Still nostalgic if you're in to that sort of thing.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi