Positive lifestyle changes post-COVID

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Positive lifestyle changes post-COVID

Post by Madrigal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Senseye wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm
Welcome to middle age. I'm basically in the same boat, I weigh about 8 lbs more than I think I should, but it's been that way for 8+ years. Seems my body doesn't believe my set point is 8 lbs less that it is anymore. But I start to panic if I get 5+ lbs from where I am (which happens) as I don't want my new set point to be even higher.
Exacty. Except it has been working for me to bust my ass for 2-3 months a year, put more weight on in the winter, and repeat the cycle (this is apparently a typically female pattern, lol). Now I am late with the program. The truly annoying thing is that just to stop gaining weight, I have to eat once a day. WTF. So everyone says you lose more weight by dieting than by exercise, but I clearly need to do exercise unless I want to make that one meal a low-carb one (in other words, misery).

Light Leak

Post by Light Leak » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:05 am

Senseye wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:15 pm
I used to have two dogs and I think it does work as far as anxiety goes. Doesn't help with the fact dogs need to get out for bathroom duties though. So LL still wouldn't be able to push it much past 10 hours (unless her dog stays outside during her absence). I could never do that. My dogs seemed to be aware when I was not home and they would bark like psychos if I left them outside when I was gone. I think they feel they need to be on high alert to guard the turf when alpha is away. Inside, they seemed to be able to chill and just sleep the day away.
I'm not leaving her outside during the day, and yeah I wouldn't want to leave her home as long as I used to be gone pre-covid because of the bathroom issue. I'm not really interested in getting a second dog at this point. We're still working on training this one.
Madrigal wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:30 pm
So everyone says you lose more weight by dieting than by exercise, but I clearly need to do exercise unless I want to make that one meal a low-carb one (in other words, misery).
Ugh. Low carb was basically what I was doing on my diet before covid. I got so bored of the food I was eating that eating started feeling like a chore. I still ate three meals a day, but I had basically cut out carbs and sugar and if I did have carbs it was only rice or potatoes because they're not processed. I added some carbs back in over the past year and now I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than I would like to be, but eating food is more enjoyable with the carbs. I'm conflicted because I felt better in my body at the lower weight, but I don't really want to go back to not enjoying food either.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 am

@Madrigal - What classes are you taking?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:28 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:35 am
@Madrigal - What classes are you taking?
Just Italian.

roki

Post by roki » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 am

My weight loss wasn't intentional, but it was likely due to quitting drinking 4+ tallboy beers per day. Maybe the intake of B complex and D helped, too.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:54 am

The slow burn of dating in the age of Covid suits me. Anyone not willing to take it slow in this climate is too dumb or self-centered for me to date.

It should have been the norm before to do a few Zoom chats before meeting up.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it will last.

Generally speaking, and not just regarding dating, I feel like everyone's become an extremely online weirdo, and I like that.

Park

Post by Park » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 pm

With out knowing what 2020 would bring, I bought a barbell and some bumperplates around january/february. Denmark (where I live) closed down in mid March and I managed to buy a rack and a bench before every piece of fitness equiptment worth buying sold out. During the quarantine, I’ve been training powerlifting 2-3 times a week with my husband and two friends. Our uneventfull privatelife meant that training focus was good so we’ve all made good lifting progress. Unfurtunately, we’ve also gained weight (not muschles) probably due to a more sedetary lifestyle in generel. It didn’t help that training turned into a bit of a social club and coffee, cake and candy became a compulsery part of every training.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:59 pm

Park wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:19 pm
It didn’t help that training turned into a bit of a social club and coffee, cake and candy became a compulsery part of every training.
xD

This reminds me of a gym I'd go to (pretty cheap one) that was on top of a movie theater. Every night, I'd walk out of the gym smelling the popcorn and pizza. I don't have much of a sweet tooth for cake and candy, but that just killed me. Look at it this way, though, you probably would have gained more weight if you hadn't exercised at all and had social meet-ups that didn't involve it.

There is one change that I see as positive but objectively isn't. I drink wine every night. We used to only drink wine 2 or three 3 a week, but the pandemic just made me want to treat myself after a long day.

Park

Post by Park » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:30 am

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:59 pm
xD

This reminds me of a gym I'd go to (pretty cheap one) that was on top of a movie theater. Every night, I'd walk out of the gym smelling the popcorn and pizza. I don't have much of a sweet tooth for cake and candy, but that just killed me. Look at it this way, though, you probably would have gained more weight if you hadn't exercised at all and had social meet-ups that didn't involve it.
Very true
There is one change that I see as positive but objectively isn't. I drink wine every night. We used to only drink wine 2 or three 3 a week, but the pandemic just made me want to treat myself after a long day.
Yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if the sale of Wine and alcohol under COVID-19 was up there with handsanitizer and webcams. My 82year old mother who normally don’t drink has started drinking red wine before bedtime. Moms reasoning: sleep is healthy, red wine makes mom sleepy, red wine is healthy 🤔.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:05 am

I went to Costco after work and picked up a couple of slices of pizza on my way out. This, after having Panda Express for lunch. Wednesday I had to pick my car up out of the shop, make a few errands and stopped at Del Taco a little after 10 PM to finally get some dinner. This was assuredly the first time I've had fast food 3x in one week since the lockdown began. There were more than a few weeks when I had no fast food or even any processed food. I had previously tried to shy away from fast food. I suppose I wasn't really eating that much of it to where I was concerned about my health but I could notice a five to ten pound increase if I wasn't careful.

Some of my co-workers will talk about how they need to bring their lunch to work because eating out really adds up. It does but I think I want to make sure I'm being more efficient with my time. Me getting Panda today was a result of some unexpected change of events at the office. My other two times getting food on the fly was lack of consideration and laziness on my part. I don't want to ever be in the position where I have to think twice about ordering a burger & fries, but I just want to be a bit more aware of how my day could potentially play out. I feel like if I'm out & about and I can picture 1 or 2 things I can have for dinner even if it'll be late, I'm OK with it. As opposed to me thinking, 'damn, I'm hooongry and I ain't got jack to eat. Better stop someplace.' I don't have to nor do I plan to write out a schedule but I just need my objectives for the day in mind and just like go after 'em, more things fall into place. Making myself more focused should be better career wise, better health wise in what I eat, and more efficient economically in not falling into buying extra crap when I'm hungry and unprepared.