What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I was just thinking how I'd react to multiple (even one...maybe even none) live rounds being accidently fired on a set I was working on. I'd want to check the gun myself. AND I'd want the expert who screwed up to be replaced. And by want I mean demand. But I'd probably be afraid he'd shoot me if he knew my demand so I'd just quit and go home without telling anyone.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm

So the maker's/politician's race is in building a secure live ammunition proof prop gun/instituting a ban on real guns on sets solution. (Just thinking out loud)
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:08 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:00 pm
So the maker's/politician's race is in building a secure live ammunition proof prop gun/instituting a ban on real guns on sets solution. (Just thinking out loud)
Film makers probably want the ability to look through historical gun pictures and choose whatever they want.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Bird of the Year is happening. Another year of scandals and voting shenanigans that would make U.S. elections seem honest and well run.

https://www.birdoftheyear.org.nz/

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Alec Baldwin Was Rehearsing Pointing Gun at Camera, Affidavit Says

:palm:

I would think of the art director or assistant art director here.
Senseye wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 pm
I wouldn't put the actors in charge of gun safety protocol. They are generally in the role because of their good looks and occasionally due to acting ability.

Some nondescript schmuck whose only role is too be an expert on firearm safety should be in charge, which I think is they way they do things.

Supposedly this movie had a crew member designated as an "armorer" who was specifically responsible for gun props. So it's apparently that person's fault more than anyone else's.

Still, one of the "Ten Commandments of Gun Safety" we all got drilled into us from early childhood in my redneck home town is "treat every gun as if it were loaded".

I guess you have to make some exceptions for a movie, where people are pretending to shoot each other, but I think I would have checked it myself before I started fucking around aiming it at things. (Or especially at people.)

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 am

No voting scandals this year... but two contenders teamed up and dominated the voting (a large number coming from overseas). Batman and Robin were both doing well, but the Caped Crusader, the Pekapeka, New Zealand's only native land mammal was the surprising and controversial winner (it's Tinder profile was overwhelmed this morning).

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:27 pm

What is going on? Anyone know what kind of plane this is, and are we all gonna die? It looks like a hatch is open on the bottom, like something is ready to drop out.

Edit: I think it's a AC-130J Ghostrider. It includes:

-- Wing-mounted GBU-39 Small-Diameter Bombs (SDB's)
-- Bushmaster II Mk44 30mm gun
-- Gunslinger weapons system featuring an internally-housed launch tube capable of deploying up to 10 GBU-44/B Viper Strike or Griffin small standoff munitions
Attachments
plane-scary-belly.jpg
plane-scary-belly.jpg (93.33 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
plane-scary.jpg
plane-scary.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 2820 times

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:49 am

The Chathams got cell phone coverage last week. One of the most isolated spots in the world and you can now ring anyone at anytime, anywhere.

We rolled into the Covid "Traffic Light" system today. Vaccine mandates for health workers, teachers and frontline corrections staff and a vaccine passport to access certain high risk activities when the alert level is raised.

Our area is on red so vaccine pass required for gyms, cafes, restaurants etc.

Daily cases dropped to double figures for the first time in a while. 98 recorded over the last 24 hours which is down about a third from yesterday. Still have strict border controls which is pissing a lot of people off, but should give us a bit of time to figure out what Omicron is likely to do.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:17 am

We bought another beach... crowd funding has raised $2.15 million to buy the headlands and prevent private development.

We handed the other one over to be part of the Tasman National Park...

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:12 pm

Eminem opened a restaurant in Detroit called Mom's Spaghetti.