What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Mx7xM

What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by Mx7xM » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:33 pm

Looks like Edinburgh is aiming to be the Florida of the UK with a headline like this!

Edinburgh woman bit off man’s tongue in street brawl before seagull swooped down and ate it

Tags:

Utisz

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by Utisz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:02 am

Mx7xM wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:33 pm
Looks like Edinburgh is aiming to be the Florida of the UK with a headline like this!

Edinburgh woman bit off man’s tongue in street brawl before seagull swooped down and ate it
:shock:

roki

Post by roki » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:10 am

austin harouff vibes

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:58 am

Lots of melting snow here in Chicago. I'm surprised that it's all melting so quickly.

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:11 am

The whole city looks like a giant skid row and I love it. This year's summer protests are going to be off the hook.I'm happy all the homeless people are as cracked out as they are, they're living life for me and they probably don't feel half of the misery they're going through. They look like shit but damn it they're living in the moment.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:51 am

I'm not in Minneapolis, but the trial of the guy who killed George Floyd is about to get going.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/08/97478464 ... stion-loom

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Roger Mexico wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:51 am
I'm not in Minneapolis, but the trial of the guy who killed George Floyd is about to get going.

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/08/97478464 ... stion-loom
Well if he gets acquitted, which usually happens, it will be interesting to see what occurs.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:50 pm

Watching with interest the Megan and Harry shitshow.

Anyone that has read my post over the last 15 years will know I am not exactly a royalist, but I find myself siding with the Queen on this one.

Watching two ludicrously privileged people whine about being down to their last $20m and having to pay for security is annoying in the extreme. When you top that with the claims of racism that have no evidence or substance it makes it worse. I suppose I should be pleased that it has been taken up by the woke warriors in the UK, it just serves to make them look ridiculous.

America can have them.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:02 am

djm wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:50 pm
Watching with interest the Megan and Harry shitshow.
This Irish Times article went viral.

The opening:
Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it’s the stuff of children’s stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What’s the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it’s hardly deserving of applause.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:08 am

I don't find it that incredible that the British are racist enough that they can't accept someone who looks like Meghan Markle as a royal. I've heard folks go on for years about the threat posed by Muslim immigration and so forth (which is probably the major driver behind Brexit). (I also never hear an admission of the role British foreign policy [within the past 20 years, mind you, so this is living memory for most] played in causing this refugee crisis to begin with).

The British like to brag about having abolished slavery before the U.S., some even presenting it as proof that racism can't exist in the U.K. Conveniently they gloss over the fact that the Industrial Revolution that drove the British Empire was powered to a large extent by slave-produced American cotton (this was the raw material for the textile mills), to such an extent that many of the British upper crust sided with the Confederacy in the Civil War due to economic interests.

In short, while I don't care about the royals, I happen to think that there's a 95% chance Meghan Markle isn't full of shit.

Edit: Oh, and this criticizing Meghan for being an actress is weird. Yes it's not exactly a salt-of-the-earth profession, but at least she did something to earn money unlike the rest of the royals.