What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:20 pm

"Manhattan to Stop Prosecuting Prostitution...office will continue to prosecute pimps and sex traffickers, as well as people who pay for sex."

So we now have legal pot and whores.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm

Not if they are still going to prosecute Johns. That is like having legal weed dispensaries but still prosecuting the people who consume the weed they buy there.

Prostitution should just be straight up legalized, but that is a whole other can of worms.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:57 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm
Prostitution should just be straight up legalized, but that is a whole other can of worms.
It's been fully legal here since 2003 and I don't even think the religious wackos are upset anymore.

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:12 am

The reality is that criminalising the purchase of, while decriminalising the selling of, sex (an approach known as the Nordic model) is, for approximately fifteen thousand reasons, the only ethical and ultimately effective handling of sex trafficking and the violence against women that inherently flows from the commoditisation of their bodies.

In other news, my job/life is now working for 8-9 day runs offering free vaccines to a population rapidly losing interest in receiving them despite us being still rather alarming far away from the magical 85% vaccination rate figure. You might say it is demoralising. You might say it is enraging. You might even say that when I close my eyes to "rest a minute" I am in fact praying for the seas to rise up and sweep us all away.

EDIT: Speaking of New York, Gov. Cuomo is threatening to sue over Minnesota gaining a congressional seat. The hate is real, and hilarious.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 am

ashi wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:12 am
The reality is that criminalising the purchase of, while decriminalising the selling of, sex (an approach known as the Nordic model) is, for approximately fifteen thousand reasons, the only ethical and ultimately effective handling of sex trafficking and the violence against women that inherently flows from the commoditisation of their bodies.

In other news, my job/life is now working for 8-9 day runs offering free vaccines to a population rapidly losing interest in receiving them despite us being still rather alarming far away from the magical 85% vaccination rate figure. You might say it is demoralising. You might say it is enraging. You might even say that when I close my eyes to "rest a minute" I am in fact praying for the seas to rise up and sweep us all away.

EDIT: Speaking of New York, Gov. Cuomo is threatening to sue over Minnesota gaining a congressional seat. The hate is real, and hilarious.
Cuomo is an awful person, and it shows the absurdity of our political system that he was held up as some kind of anti-Trump when he's a major asshole too.

I'm for catocracy. I think we should have cats rule over us. Cleaning out a litter box isn't nearly as galling to me as bailing out Wall Street when they cause the economy to collapse.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 am

Punishing only those who pay for sex and allowing solicitation will cause more prostitution "sales". Somehow there was a bottleneck in prosecuting prostitutes, with some open cases going back to the 1970s (I'd like to know how that happened), plus many of those arrested were minorities, illegal immigrants, and trans people, and they complained about discrimination or whatever. They could have just fined them or something, and saved money by being less aggressive with enforcement, but it's probably the discrimination complaints caused the repeal.

Speaking of cans of worms, I believe prohibition (alcohol) worked a little. I bet it saved lives overall. I never heard a good analysis of the good vs bad affects of prohibition.

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:20 am

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 am
ashi wrote:

Cuomo is an awful person, and it shows the absurdity of our political system that he was held up as some kind of anti-Trump when he's a major asshole too.

I'm for catocracy. I think we should have cats rule over us. Cleaning out a litter box isn't nearly as galling to me as bailing out Wall Street when they cause the economy to collapse.
I VAGUELY recall a whiff of "he is the sort of asshole we need to check Trump" (not in the sense of wanting him to run for president in 2020, though I'm sure someone did) which immediately became "oh no, he too is a proper asshole 😱" the second there was too much (inter)national attention.

Was I just tricked into supporting Andrew Yang? Gods damn it.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 am

ashi wrote:
How come the Prostitutes Collective were the main organisation pushing for decriminalisation before 2003 and are the main organisation pushing for complete deregulation now? https://www.nzpc.org.nz/The-New-Zealand-Model

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 am

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 am
Did you think he was an asshole before the sexual harassment/assault thing?

I had my suspicions based on his interviews with his brother. There's something vaguely aristocratic and sleazy about their hosting their sibling "ribaldry" on CNN. Do it down the local pub like normal fucking people you twats.
jyng1 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 am
How come the Prostitutes Collective were the main organisation pushing for decriminalisation before 2003 and are the main organisation pushing for complete deregulation now? https://www.nzpc.org.nz/The-New-Zealand-Model
Because it's their livelihood?

I mean in an ideal world, money changing hands should not affect the principle of consent between two adults, but we do not live in an ideal world. I am admittedly not sure where I stand on the issue. Maybe legalising prostitution will "clean up" the practices, but it's hard to argue that we live in an ideal world.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 am

Utisz wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 am
Because it's their livelihood?

I mean in an ideal world, money changing hands should not affect the principle of consent between two adults, but we do not live in an ideal world. I am admittedly not sure where I stand on the issue. Maybe legalising prostitution will "clean up" the practices, but it's hard to argue that we live in an ideal world.
The reference is in regards to the "Nordic Model" and in both cases the seller is decriminalised. I take it your comment refers to the fact that criminalising the person spending the money reduces demand more so than complete decriminalisation, hence the prostitutes collective being more supportive of complete decriminalisation. I think the evidence for that is pretty weak. https://theconversation.com/the-nordic- ... myth-21351

I can't find any recent research on the effect of our law. My guess is that the "massage parlours" have all but disappeared and along with it a lot of the visible prostitution. In theory all our employment laws apply and both the worker and the client would have to abide by Health and Safety laws or face quite severe fines. Workers could also call the police if required etc etc...

I find it slightly interesting that selling sex in the US is mostly legal, you just have to hire someone to film it.