What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
jyng1

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by jyng1 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:25 am

Massive eruption in Tonga rattling windows 65 kilometres away in Nukealofa and Tsunami hitting the island now. Edit: rattling the windows in New Zealand 2,090 kilometres away. Took 2 hours to get here.

https://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/ ... -uv-jQbs6s

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:59 pm

A Jewish Synagogue has 4 hostages under threat of being killed if any attempt to free them or don't release a woman who was extradited from Pakistan and tried as a terrorist, with imprisonment for 87-years back in 2010.

Armed man holding hostages at Colleyville, Texas, synagogue demands release of convicted terrorist ‘sister’
https://nypost.com/2022/01/15/rabbi-con ... synagogue/

(Though this claims it was the brother of Aafia, that claim appears not to be true with more updates.)
https://heavy.com/news/houston/muhammad-siddiqui/

Hostage situation at Texas synagogue
https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/texas- ... index.html

Just a few months ago people called for her release:

US protesters demand release and repatriation of Aafia Siddiqui
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/ ... a-siddiqui

Maybe they didn't get the memo she was a potential Ted Kacynzki (if not actually guilty of terrorism, as you don't get 87-years in jail for no damned reason, and judging by what is happening now, I very much doubt she is innocent.)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:02 am

Canadian protest over some stupid bullshit has been declared a "state of emergency":

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/0 ... s-00006053

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:10 pm

The "Freedumb" rally at Parliament was being serenaded by Barry Manilow on loop, but James Blunt suggested they play his music... so "You're beautiful" is being played on loop.

2nd wettest day ever recorded in parts of Wellington and Cyclone Rovi is starting to send a bit of wind; it's a perfect storm :lol:

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:29 am

I was at the gym this morning and they had live coverage of the Rams Super Bowl Parade. I'm not a Rams fan but I also don't hate them and their longtime fans, from when they were here before moving to St Louis, are pretty chill. I kinda wished I had gone down there.

They kinda have the Championship Parade route mapped out. It ends at the USC Colosseum. I was a bit surprised that the didn't have it in Inglewood and have it end at the new SoFi Stadium. I did see a game there towards the end of the regular season. The Chargers not the Rams but that's immaterial. That thing is a work of art! Like, it's really beautiful and it should be given the +$5 Billion dollar price tag. They had tours over the summer but I didn't go on any. I just remember how surprised I was at how long the line for the bathroom was at halftime and thinking, "I know you make your gravy on the luxury suites but you morons really couldn't get the most basic thing that separates the stadiums of old vs modern upgrades in having more bathrooms?!?!" but then it turned out that the line moved rather quickly. The owner of the Rams, who also owns the Nuggets for hoops, Avalanche for hockey and Arsenal for soccer, financed the stadium himself. Which I do think should be the case or at least for cities that do pay for stadiums should receive a better cut of revenue. But I woulda thought he would've preferred to have the photo opp of the team parade ending in his house. It's funny, most new stadiums and arenas I've been to can look nice but there's something creepy about them until some teams build some history in them. Like, they really need the ghosts of games and legends past before they feel broken in and more comfortable.

LeBron wanted to do a combo Championship parade for the Dodgers, Lakers, and Rams, since the pandemic shut the other teams out of theirs. I don't know if that'll happen but I thought the Rams deserved their own since they've never won a Super Bowl.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:02 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:29 am
How many countries were competing?

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:24 am

jyng1 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:02 am
Spartan26 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:29 am
How many countries were competing?
Ha, yeah, plenty of people have been making that joke here for years, decades really. They're (NFL) really trying hard to expand. They had a European league a few years back. Mostly US college players who ran out of eligibility but didn't make that final cut for an NFL roster. They also keep playing games in Wembley Stadium. I had been thinking Jacksonville would move to London as bit of a longshot but not out of the question. Rumors went around that Buffalo would move to Toronto. Even the raiders threatened to move to Mexico City but everyone knew that was a bluff and the closest they'd come would be San Antonio but that too was another leverage ploy. I do think the NFL will have a team outside of the US or at least announced by the end of the decade. Expand or die, sorta the mantra of US business. I do feel like for baseball and basketball, the majority of the best players are in or have come to the US so even if they're only geographically in two countries, it does have a bit of legitimacy to call themselves world champs for whoever wins their league. Not advocating it or agreeing but it's not total bs arrogance for them to do so.

puerile_polyp

Post by puerile_polyp » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:23 pm

I just recently learned that Oregon now has the most liberal drug laws in the country. We just passed a big thing over the winter and now, for possession of small personal amounts of anything you get a choice between a $100 fine or completing a health assessment at a treatment center. Heroin, meth, cocaine, whatever. It's like 2 grams for those things which isn't much, but if you have a little more it's been lowered to a class A misdemeanor which is like shoplifting. I'm all for it.

Also, they are going to legalize psilocybin for use in supervised therapy sessions. In a couple years when it's set up, people with depression or whatever can sign up to melt face with a therapist.

Anyway, I've been wanting to trip but don't know anybody. I know I could buy spores online but I'm also lazy. There are sites claiming to ship psilocybin mushrooms and I'm thinking about giving it a go.

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:14 pm

I was reading a Mother Jones article:
'Evangelicals Love Donald Trump for Many Reasons, But One of Them Is Especially Terrifying'
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... listening/

And this video popped up:

Incidentally, the person introduced in the video, Dr. Mike (Michael) Hayes was the Pastor of Covenant Church, where I used to go (over a decade and a half ago) in the Dallas area (the video creator is Lance Wallnau, who apparently lives in Texas and has some connection to religious content creation of some kind, and presumably offers his services to promote material.)

Michael Hayes' son took over the church some years ago while he went into retirement, and recently abused his wife and had a restraining order put against him following divorce procedings. Also, one of the Pastor's that worked at one of the church locations died of Covid (the ubiquitous cause of death amongst Church Pastors it seems like. . . because vaccines are harbingers for the Mark of the Beast, apparently.)

The daughter of Mike Hayes took over the church as it's bad for business.
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:21 pm

The real story is, 'Atomic Taco Cafe' which had to close due to plumbing problems. . .

A Suspicious Fire, a Fake Auditor, and $656,909 Stolen in Wise County Town [Aurora, TX] Known for Alien Landing
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/a-sus ... g/2842848/