What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:06 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:39 pm
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:22 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:08 pm
SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:36 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:36 am
It's gonna be 2 all in the 'murica's cup in about 10 minutes. Quite exciting racing.

Dorkland went back into Level One this afternoon as well, so the bars and cafes are pretty happy.
Hello, friendly but cynical jying1 lol. Since you live on the other side of dee equation big guy forget to inquire about survival living on an island in the city of Auckland. Forgot to ask the Southern Hemispherians when the hazard levels were adjusted down during resurgences of normalcy - albeit in pockets but you get the point. Did you feel trapped during your lockdown or whatever? Also, do you feel lucky?
The last major lockdown started to be lifted in April last year and I personally haven't had any restrictions at all since June last year. We can still travel without quarantine to the Cook Islands and some Australian States. I went out for a pizza and to see Gunpowder Milkshake last night so life is pretty normal. You have to wear a mask on public transport but there isn't any where I live so...

I don't know about feeling lucky; we're the last country standing of those that managed to control the outbreak and we're always one community case away from restrictions until the vaccination programme gets closer to completion. We chose Pfizer right at the start and the supply is limited so the rollout is a little frustrating (I received my second dose a few weeks ago).

I see this morning that HMNZS Wellington has just dropped off vaccines to the Tokelau's and is heading to the remote islands in the Cooks so most of our Realm should be fully vaccinated shortly (Nuie is already 97% vaccinated).

New Zealand is about the size of 6 or 7 European countries so most people are just travelling internally instead of going overseas.
Good. I know some who I don't correspond with anymore but glad to hear they're probably okay unless the 9, 999, 999 ways to die, (I think there are 10 M but could be wrong), run their natural course. Fist full of islands is what I thought but that region is peppered with land masses and natives. How cool, anyway...

What kind of pizza and how was Gunpowder Milkshake er Carla Gugino etc.? Also, are there discernable differences in the photos of those numerous types of islanders in your Realm than what is posted on like google search results or whatever; lol wtf is up with the blonde and dark skin phenotype of some ethnicities?

There are not many discernable differences between Tokelauans, Nuieans and Cook Islanders. They're all Polynesians and are all thought to have migrated through the Pacific probably as far as South America from Taiwan thousands of years ago. Fiji is Melanesian and Indian so a bit different (as is Vanuatu and the Soloman's). Tonga and Samoa are Polynesian but not as close culturally.

Maori migrated from Tahiti through the Cooks so are quite closely linked to those two island groups.

My first wife was from the Cooks... They're the best dancers in the Pacific.

Hm. *puts on glasses*

Those hip wiggles. Yeus. I like 'em.

*takes off glasses* This dance most likely predates the twerk. I like this version better. Obvious worldview differences of phylogeny and ontogeny notwithstanding, the restricted gyration of the butt cheeks framed without the rest of the body on screen doesn't leave unconscious/conscious motivation to question. The Tahitian dancing ... now that's subtly sexy, classier, has a pg-13 rating - kinda thing. This leads to
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:58 am

I noticed the moon was red, then I saw the article Why is the sun red? Wildfire smoke from a continent away spreads to New York. An AQI of 170 is bad.
Attachments
air-quality-index.jpg
air-quality-index.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Wildfire-red-moon.jpg
Wildfire-red-moon.jpg (10.44 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

starjots

Post by starjots » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:30 am

Almost nothing going on here... we've had a lovely summer, all the crap weather is busy elsewhere. We've even had a proper monsoon season with rain and everything. The news has been ignorable. *knocks on wood*

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:37 am

The Amish are getting out of line. Spoiled. I saw an Amish mother buying paper plates and ice cream sandwiches for her kids.

A wayward Amish teenager was intoxicated and guided his horse into a steep ditch. He received a DWI.

A couple of Amish guys were wearing sunglasses and drinking soda at a convenient store.

Shouldn't she be doing her pottery? You know, make the plates? The paper plates were :palm:

My dog regularly kills squirrels, bunnies, moles, rabbits (one of which she ate, she deftly gutted him). She killed an adolescent groundhog. I hate all of this, but it's her deal.

I

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:07 pm

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:22 am

Just had a terrorist attack by a known threat who stabbed six people in a supermarket in Auckland. He was shot and killed by the Special Tactics Group within 60 seconds.

He obtained the knife from the supermarket. He was a Sri Lankan national and details about him have been suppressed; ISIS inspired...

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:40 am

jyng1 wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:22 am
stabbed six people in a supermarket
Makes me feel silly for complaining about the trans fats.
Utisz would have loved to do his "You are in a supermarket" profile.
I wonder what the respectful wait time is before announcing "cleanup in isle five."

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:29 pm

John Hinckley, Who Shot President Reagan, Wins Unconditional Release
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/27/10408724 ... kAjzI1LNkY

And the argument to raise the debt ceiling debate in Congress is going on right now with 286 viewers. . . going to 217 when Mitch McConnell starts to talk about vaccinations and how people should take them.
https://www.facebook.com/NowThisPolitic ... 8446981143
Last edited by Catoptric on Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:52 am

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:51 pm

BPL Is Going Fine Free—Forever!
Brooklyn Public Library is closing the book on fines. We're excited to announce that we are no longer charging late fines on overdue materials. That's right: BPL is going fine free—forever!

Start a new chapter at your local library. We’ve erased existing overdue fines from all BPL accounts. Our neighborhood libraries are hosting special programs the week of October 18 to welcome you back, and to welcome new patrons! Stay tuned for details.

Checking out? Check your due date. Please return items on time so other people can enjoy them, too. Accounts will be charged for lost items once they are four weeks overdue. To have the replacement charge(s) removed, just return the items to any BPL branch.
So you can add four weeks to the due date without a penalty. Later than that and you have to pay the full price of the book.