What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
MoneyJungle

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by MoneyJungle » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:10 am

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:45 am
MoneyJungle wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:24 pm
6 dead 12 injured in a shooting a block away from the Capitol building. Seems like a nightclub altercation. I don’t go out at night except to walk my dog.
I read they are calling it gang violence. Somehow I didn't know the gangs reached all the way up there. Are you close to the Capitol?
They very much do but I have never had an incident with gang members that I’m aware of, aside from the odd transient kitchen worker who can’t be that much of gang member if they’re actually working. One time I randomly gave a ride to a guy who claimed to be a Norteno and said he owed me a favor and I was just like “Jesus made me give you a ride let’s never talk again.’’ I haven’t seen a gun in a criminal setting since I was a drug user waaaay back in the day. I think I hear gunshots sometimes but I’m not sure. I found the political protests a couple of years ago way more unnerving than any gangs have ever been. I’m not close to the capitol these days but I’m in the neighborhood a lot. I haven’t been by where the shooting happened. I’ll probably avoid it until I space out and forget to go around it.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:01 am

We've been busy playing Montana and now Texas... apparently right next to my exes Uncles farm is a fair facsimile for the Lone Star State.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 pm

10 shot in Brooklyn Subway.

If anyone has a job for me in your city and you want a roommate, let me know.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:49 am

There was a thread in Reddit about the "unspoken rules of your country".

1. You have your everyday jandals and your "going out' jandals (flip flops, thongs etc).
2. "When you meet someone at a party, you must find the two degrees of separation between the two of you. Or at least ask them if they know James from high school who works in the same company as them." A response to this "unspoken rule" added that this applies to anywhere in the world. "If you're at a pub in the UK you'll still somehow find your cousin's ex-flatmate there."
3. "If 'Slice of Heaven' plays you must sing along at the top of your lungs. No exceptions."
4."If the server in a restaurant asks you how the food is, you must always politely say it is excellent, even if it is terrible. This is the Kiwi way."
5. In New Zealand, going barefoot anywhere is always an acceptable option.
6. "Nod down for strangers and being polite, upwards to the bros."
7. "Say hello (or similar) to people you walk past on a trail." This practice usually stops the moment you step on to an urban road, a Reddit user replied, with another calling it the "tramping version of togs, togs, undies".

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue May 03, 2022 12:12 am

Rocket lab successfully caught the Electron booster with a helicopter about half an hour ago. I need to get myself organised and go over an watch one day...

starjots

Post by starjots » Wed May 04, 2022 1:24 am

A good bit of our state in on fire right now. The damn wind just keeps blowing, we haven't had much precipitation since last fall. Forest fires are the least attractive thing about living in the western US.

OF course there is other news, but the only silver lining I've seen today is Mexico might route a major rail line for trade through New Mexico instead of Texas. If you weren't aware, the governor of TX, a giant dick*, decided US customs wasn't enough and added state inspections, causing massive delays, hundreds of millions of spoiled food etc.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... s-84475006

*TO be entirely accurate, the governor's name is "Yet another giant dick", since the governor of Florida is "Another giant dick" with Orange Peel being the original.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:15 am

jyng1 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:26 am
Russian military chopper operating an hour away...

I'm way late in replying to this but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the ending. As I was watching I thought two things 1) Every US military helicopter I've seen in operation has been louder than thunder, how did the Ruskies figure out a way past that? Or, do we want that? 2) My eyesight is for crap. I'd run out of hiding to try to see if I could make out its markings to see it was one of "the good guys," only delaying my annihilation due to the Russian pilots laughing so hard at my dumbass for closer to them.

Yesterday

Post by Yesterday » Thu May 05, 2022 11:39 am

I am the newest member of a drug rehabilitation management team in Stanislaus county CA. I also am working on improving my writing composition because it's considered atrocious by my better college educated colleagues. You'd think it were my second language lol.

Also, the thermometer 🌡️ is rising so I bought some Mexican brand popsicles to cool off in the heat. They consist of this tasty (edited) of slurry of vanilla ice cream and real strawberries. Mhmm, so refreshing!

New thread idea: Summertime foods, drinks, and snacks to help you relax!!

(Edited) *Voice of Chef from South Park cartoon* https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/at ... f-s-advice As always my children
:cheers:
ENTP

"Our truest selves exist within the observational incongruencies among general first impressions and further analyses of the finer details."
- from my Ph.D. thesis in psychobabble

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Fri May 06, 2022 1:34 am

Former Dallas Officer Bryan Riser Released After Prosecutors Agree They Can't Make Murder Case
https://www.cbsnews.com/dfw/news/former ... rder-case/

One of the strangest news cases involving a Police Officer.

Also, I'm wondering if CBS acquired the Dallas Morning News, as I was clicking on a email referring to it as such (and it doesn't have a paywall.) I don't see any direct mention of it.

Also, I was seeing a crazy amount of these and thought they looked fake (and I barely even get out much.)

Dallas Police Shut Down Accused Fake Paper Tag Dealer
https://headtopics.com/us/dallas-police ... r-26146396

To be continued.
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:51 pm

Taika's stealing Sam's grapes... (two degrees of separation; I was talking to Taikas dad the night before he died. "my dad's a war hero, master carver, captain of the rugby team"... "liar, he's in in the same prison as my dad")