What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
djm
Formerly: djm

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by djm » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 am
The Torygraph is paywalled... I found one from Aljazeera https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... -suspended
There is so much wrong about that article that I don't think I can summon the energy to correct all the misinformation in it.

UKip are not a far right party for starters. They were a mainstream party campaigning to leave the EU, a movement that had approximately equal support from both left and right.

Purpose for Life are a highly dubious outfit. They named the teacher and erroneously equated his actions with terrorism and Muslim persecution in Myanmar. He, his wife and their four children are now in hiding due to this. They also have links to hard line extremist groups such as Mend. They are certainly not representative of the mainstream Muslim community in the UK, many of whom are appalled by this.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:22 pm

djm wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:36 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 am
The Torygraph is paywalled... I found one from Aljazeera https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/3/2 ... -suspended
UKip are not a far right party for starters. They were a mainstream party campaigning to leave the EU, a movement that had approximately equal support from both left and right.
I think they themselves described it as a populist party with its roots in the conservative right wing.

djm

Post by djm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

jyng1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:22 pm
I think they themselves described it as a populist party with its roots in the conservative right wing.
That hardly makes it far right!
UKip had centre-right policy, but a broad coalition of support from centre left and centre right Eurosceptics (just over half the population were Eurosceptic hence the brexit vote). Can't say I am a fan, but to describe them as far-right is not only disingenuous but dangerous at it downgrades the meaning of the term. The far-right moniker should be reserved for the likes of Marrine Le Pen the other side of the English Channel..

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 pm

djm wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am
jyng1 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:22 pm
That hardly makes it far right!
UKip had centre-right policy, but a broad coalition of support from centre left and centre right Eurosceptics (just over half the population were Eurosceptic hence the brexit vote). Can't say I am a fan, but to describe them as far-right is not only disingenuous but dangerous at it downgrades the meaning of the term. The far-right moniker should be reserved for the likes of Marrine Le Pen the other side of the English Channel..
Hard to argue they're not a right wing populist party...

In Europe, the term right-wing populism is used to describe groups, politicians and political parties that are generally known for their opposition to immigration, especially from the Islamic world, and for Euroscepticism. Right-wing populism in the Western world is generally associated with ideologies such as anti-environmentalism, neo-nationalism, anti-globalization, nativism, and protectionism. European right-wing populists may support expanding the welfare state, but only for the "deserving"; this concept has been referred to as "welfare chauvinism".

djm

Post by djm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 pm

In Europe, the term right-wing populism is used to describe groups, politicians and political parties that are generally known for their opposition to immigration, especially from the Islamic world, and for Euroscepticism. Right-wing populism in the Western world is generally associated with ideologies such as anti-environmentalism, neo-nationalism, anti-globalization, nativism, and protectionism. European right-wing populists may support expanding the welfare state, but only for the "deserving"; this concept has been referred to as "welfare chauvinism".
You are reframing what I said as claiming they are not a right wing party, whereas what I actually said was that they are not a far-right party, which they most certainly are not. I am also arguing that many centre-left voters voted for them as the centre-left parties offered no option regards leaving the EU.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:46 pm

djm wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:46 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:23 pm

You are reframing what I said as claiming they are not a right wing party, whereas what I actually said was that they are not a far-right party, which they most certainly are not. I am also arguing that many centre-left voters voted for them as the centre-left parties offered no option regards leaving the EU.
I can imagine single issue voters from the left voted for them. Welsh friends of mine who I would have said were reasonably progressive were also Brexit supporters. I see they've changed their tune quite dramatically since being faced with the reality.

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 am

The deplorables are euphoric. The nastiest, cruelest antisocial types have their "Rambo."

Violent bullies are America. A psychopathic president actually tried to overthrow an election and people didn't seem too worried.

What else is there to say.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:32 am

<_< ... There's been a rash of tire rim thefts in Turlock. An Oakdale Doctor's been accused of fondling minors. And lastly, a taco truck owner was shot and killed. Things as usual.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:33 pm

MissBingo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 am
The deplorables are euphoric. The nastiest, cruelest antisocial types have their "Rambo."

Violent bullies are America. A psychopathic president actually tried to overthrow an election and people didn't seem too worried.
Of course not. They want a safe space for their crappy, backwards, dumbass right-wing worldview. Everything else takes a back seat compared to matters like protecting the sanctity of Mr. Potatohead's gender is their primary priority.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:11 pm

Not my region anymore, but the volcano in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, La Soufriere, is erupting. :(

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... o-eruption