What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Roger Mexico

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by Roger Mexico » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:46 pm

Another unarmed civilian killed by police in Minneapolis, while we're probably a few weeks out from a verdict in the trial about the one that caused all the riots a year ago.

I assume if they acquit Chauvin (which is entirely plausible, despite the overwhelming strength of the case against him, because "blue lives matter") all hell is going to break loose.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/13/98676418 ... nte-wright

UPDATE:

Former police officer Kim Potter arrested on manslaughter charge in fatal shooting of Daunte Wright

We'll see if this helps.

(The MPD's prolonged dithering about whether or not they were going to arrest Chauvin was the main cause of the initial riots last spring.)

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:17 pm

Well, there is a very high profile murder trial going on you may have heard about and another cop decided it would be a super cool idea to shoot another unarmed black man while said trial was still going, so there were protests and riots again and my work was looted for the third time and now I am temporarily at another testing/vaccination site.

Also, pulling the J&J vaccine has completely fucked our numbers and no one is what you might call "understanding" about this.

It snowed yesterday, which was nice.

UPDATE: No curfew tonight, rejoice! I shall celebrate by sleeping early.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 pm

In my city, we have this:

https://abc7chicago.com/adam-toledo-chi ... /10518893/
"You see Mr. Toledo raise his hands and turn around," said attorney Anthony Burch. "If you look at that and listen to what is going on, he is following the directions of the police officer and he's shot."
Oh, and he was 13.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:23 am

Not to brag, but in my city we had the police kill a guy with his hands up for politely warning them he was carrying a licensed weapon. Then there was the time they killed a barefoot woman running to the police for help. Hard to pick the best/most embarrassing one.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 am

Not to brag, but in my city we had the police kill a guy with his hands up for politely warning them he was carrying a licensed weapon. Then there was the time they killed a barefoot woman running to the police for help. Hard to pick the best/most embarrassing one.
Yeah, I've kind of lost all patience with police apologists. There's nothing the police could do that they would have a problem with unless maybe it directly affected "patriots."

ashi

Post by ashi » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:13 am

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 am
Yeah, I've kind of lost all patience with police apologists. There's nothing the police could do that they would have a problem with unless maybe it directly affected "patriots."
I have lived in three countries and visited two others, among them the US is the only one with armed cowboy soldiers terrorising the streets. What a nightmare.

UPDATE: The curfew is back on!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 am

ashi wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:13 am
Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 am
I have lived in three countries and visited two others, among them the US is the only one with armed cowboy soldiers terrorising the streets. What a nightmare.

UPDATE: The curfew is back on!
But they keep us safe. That's why mass shootings are a thing of the past this country thanks to us militarizing the police.

Oh, also there's this:

Activists Slam Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot For Directing Millions In COVID-19 Relief Money To Police

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:57 am

I think we're on track to launch cubesats into lunar orbit this year. Should be interesting.

Quite a few jobs going... https://www.rocketlabusa.com/careers/positions/

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Pubs are open again, well some of them anyway. Must have spent more than a grand on booze and food this week, but what the hell. How dare any government deprive an Englishman of a pub!

Eaten out for lunch in a beer garden every day for a week now. Getting my life back. Cartford Inn, Barton Manor, Owd Nells Tavern, Haighton Manor all back open. Cant wait until May 17th when the Wheatsheaf and Broughton Arms are back. Although sadly the Farmers Arms, Plungington Inn, Running Pump, Derby Arms, and the other Farmers Arms, the other Derby Arms, and the Sitting Goose didn't make it.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:00 am

ashi wrote:
I have lived in three countries and visited two others
I will guess.

U.S. Iceland. France.
ashi wrote:
and visited two others
I will try to redeem myself.

Japan. Canada.