What's going on in your city/country/region?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: What's going on in your city/country/region?

Post by Madrigal » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:04 am

October 18 will be the 2-year anniversary of the uprising in Chile.

On Sunday they killed a human rights lawyer at an indigenous rights march. I can't believe I'm still amazed at how these guys can consistently get away with their savagery.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm

They're replacing an 80 year old pedestrian bridge near me at the same time as they're paving the highway, and I get to hear the noise from both and smell the asphalt. At the same time, their doing something in the water. It looks like there's a tubular pile on the barge. Maybe they removed it from the water. For 50+ years people have been abandoning barges in that area but I didn't know about any steel piles.
Attachments
worker.jpg
worker.jpg (389.4 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:49 pm

Barbados elects first ever president ahead of becoming republic

Barbados has elected its first ever president as it prepares to become a republic, removing Queen Elizabeth as head of state.

Oh, and the president is a woman.

Nope, didn't see that one coming.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:18 am

Madrigal wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:49 pm
Barbados elects first ever president ahead of becoming republic

Barbados has elected its first-ever president as it prepares to become a republic, removing Queen Elizabeth as head of state.

Oh, and the president is a woman.

Nope, didn't see that one coming.
barba = beard
dos = two

barba + dos = 2nd beard

this is a reference to the crotch. typically males are depicted as having very hairy crotches. in modernity, for women, it's more feminine and fashionable to trim/shave the pubic region. but to let the hedges grow wild is a direct effrontery to the role western patriarchy issues to women. so the newly elected female president grew out her pubic hair. thick. as a personal (and in la playa situations, public) protest against male dominance hierarchies that gum up the system bustin' loads everywhere to soothe the ego at female's expense.

what I'm saying is it was only a matter of time before this happened. In fact, I nearly predicted it. I am a fucking wizard I am you somuhmuhs. :cookies:
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:21 am

7 million worth marijuana siezed at Keyes home Stanislaus a sheriff says.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am

Alec Baldwin killed somebody because someone put a real bullet in his gun while he was filming a cowboy movie.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 pm

Roger Mexico wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:42 am
Alec Baldwin killed somebody because someone put a real bullet in his gun while he was filming a cowboy movie.
Alec Baldwin Was Rehearsing Pointing Gun at Camera, Affidavit Says

:palm:

I would think of the art director or assistant art director here.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Is it possible for an actor to use a little inspection mirror to see what kind of round is loaded? Can an actor open and inspect the cylinder himself? How could the people who didn't walk off just accept the safety measures when they already failed multiple times? At some point I'd think someone's trying to kill us and I wouldn't even care if the gun is safe.

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:20 pm
Is it possible for an actor to use a little inspection mirror to see what kind of round is loaded? Can an actor open and inspect the cylinder himself? How could the people who didn't walk off just accept the safety measures when they already failed multiple times? At some point I'd think someone's trying to kill us and I wouldn't even care if the gun is safe.
Excellent topic, as usual, offering an opportunity to exercise inferential skills. I like to think the solution should be digital. Problem solved. I'll go get on that, brb sir. :hat:

The brain stormer's creedo: just let the ideas perculate like an overflowing toilet.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 pm

I wouldn't put the actors in charge of gun safety protocol. They are generally in the role because of their good looks and occasionally due to acting ability.

Some nondescript schmuck whose only role is too be an expert on firearm safety should be in charge, which I think is they way they do things.

Anyhow, this is really much ado about nothing. When one considers how many fake gunshots are filmed in movies on a regular bases, an accident every couple of decades does not seem unreasonable. The system seems fine, but some human error got involved in this case.

It's one of those weird situations regarding human psychology, that while hundreds of people have probably been shot and killed in the US since this incident, that's all just considered every day crime violence/firearm carelessness and is business as usual and not worth a mention. But an accident on a movie set - STOP THE PRESSES and commission and massive multi agency investigation. We need to get to the bottom of this system that allows about one death per decade (or less). The issues that result in the deaths of thousands? Meh, too much bother to address those.