Post your bookshelf

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Post your bookshelf

Post by Madrigal » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:44 pm

Today I made a big effort to procrastinate studying for my exam and started taking my books out of the suitcases and putting them on a shelf. Here are most of the books I managed to bring over to Chile (there are some more fiction ones tho).

Just realized I have 19 Trotsky books and only 2 Marx ones. :shock: I also seem to have lost my copy of the Communist Manifesto. I think I must have given it away at least twice.

Tags:

TeresaJ

Re: Post your bookshelf

Post by TeresaJ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 am

I love Bookshelf pictures.

Yours look so new!

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:52 pm

TeresaJ wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:12 am
I love Bookshelf pictures.

Yours look so new!
Yeah, some of them actually are new and waiting to be read, lol. Others are editions I worked on translating/restoring and then got a copy of, but never actually read from that copy since I had already read it from previous editions. Most of the political books I and Spanish speakers in general were educated on were old editions that were later improved by this publishing house.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm

We moved just before Christmas, and now do not have enough bookcasing. Most of my books are in the garage and one of the barns and will have to stay there until I fit out one of the sitting rooms into a library.

Then when my books come out of the barn I can turn one of the barns into a pub seeing as the government closed pubs I am going to make my own with a bar pool table and jukebox. I may even brew my own beer in it and put a cider press into the potting shed in the orchard.

Anyway, when I get my library room sorted I will post it up.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 pm

djm wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:57 pm
Then when my books come out of the barn I can turn one of the barns into a pub seeing as the government closed pubs I am going to make my own with a bar pool table and jukebox. I may even brew my own beer in it and put a cider press into the potting shed in the orchard.
I love this idea! Esepcially having your own cider. I bet that's not the only home-grown thing you can make for your your pub.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Well I guess that a "Guess Who: Bookshelf Edition" is out of the question now.

Also some of those books are mine (the least commie ones).

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:33 pm

Utisz wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:15 pm
Well I guess that a "Guess Who: Bookshelf Edition" is out of the question now.

Also some of those books are mine (the least commie ones).
That would have been a good game. Mine would have been a freebie though. :p

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:17 pm
djm wrote:
I love this idea! Especially having your own cider. I bet that's not the only home-grown thing you can make for your your pub.
I read today that 4 pubs are going bust a day due to lockdown. Pubs are the cornerstone of English culture and need protecting. There is also an annoying trend for virtue signalling corporate brewers to change historic pub names in the name of woke nonsense. Anyways at this rate there should be plenty of good fittings available from shut down pubs.

We are midway between Woodplumpton and Broughton, and also close to Eaves. The Farmers Arms in Eaves has gone, which was a lovely pub. The Wheatsheaf in Woodplumpton looks like it will survive. The Broughton Inn is not looking healthy, shame it is a proper old coaching Inn that has been there for hundreds of years and pulls a nice pint. down the road the Running Pump has gone in Inskip, The Derby Arms has gone in Trailes. The WIthy Tree has gone in Fulwood. The Sumpter Horse has gone in Lower Penwortham. The Sitting Goose has gone in Catforth.

Anyways, the barn I have earmarked for my personal pub, is a 'Dutch Barn' that was previously used as a workshop and sawmill. It is close to the Hall and has nice sliding doors I can hang a proper pub sign over. I want a juke box so I can fill it full of Led Zep and Black Sabbath 45s, a small bar with real pumps, and a decent pool table.

TeresaJ

Post by TeresaJ » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:42 am

That is such a bummer to hear about the pubs shutting down. I can't even imagine England without pubs. :(

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:24 am

djm wrote:
Your own little pub is the latest trendy accessory...