Post your bookshelf

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Post your bookshelf

Post by Madrigal » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:00 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:04 pm
My wife. She's more into notes though, she collected a bunch from tourists in Barcelona who tipped her with them when she worked as a waitress.
Funny, my family's collection started with my great grandfather, who worked on the trains and got paid in money from all over the world at the time. My father continued the collection and then I did. It's all in Argentina though, no idea what kind of permit I need to bring that over here. I like coins more than bills but I collected both.

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 am

Like ... a literal bookshelf, or a screenshot of an e-reader list of titles, or my Audible library which if I'm honest is how I consume most material these days. Literal books have been kind of a rare experience in my life lately. I went on a Philip K Dick reading binge a while back, and it reminded me I actually enjoy reading printed books.

Lately, I actually read:

Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Dr. Bloodmoney
A Scanner Darkly
The Exegesis of Philip K Dick
UBIK
VALIS
Martian Time Slip

And a bunch of the Agent Pendergast novels by Preston and Child, which I read all out of order. Didn't matter though, they're just formulaic page-turners I was borrowing from a friend.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am

After the 8.1 earthquake on Raoul Island in the Kermadecs. The rangers had been away since last year because of covid but were due to be dropped off a week or so ago. Their drop off by the navy was delayed because Auckland went back into Level 3 for 7 days. The Met Service went and had a look today.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:24 am

Autochthonic wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:31 am
Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Dr. Bloodmoney
A Scanner Darkly
The Exegesis of Philip K Dick
UBIK
VALIS
Martian Time Slip
Oh I think I read most of those. Would always buy any Philip K. Dick book I didn't own any time I found one.

Don't think I read The Exegesis of Philip K Dick.

I think the most peculiar one I read was Counter-Clock World, where time goes backwards, and folks have to stick faeces up their butts and regurgitate food. Didn't make a whole lot of sense that book, but the pages turned easily enough. :happy:

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:14 am

This thread needs another thread to comment on the nostalgic feels. Nice collections.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:53 am

I haven't read them all and some were presents from Christian friends and relatives.

The white Bible is special - see:
(I wanted to annoy God so I was reading a Gideon's Bible upside-down then soon after I was given my own sealed Bible - inside it was upside-down!)

books3.JPG
books3.JPG (448.94 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
books2.JPG
books2.JPG (453.9 KiB) Viewed 3963 times
books1.JPG
books1.JPG (486.32 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 am

Based on those photo's it looks like a tossup for shortest book, either:

1) Science and God -or-
2) Good moments for men.

:lol:

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:16 am

Senseye wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 am
Based on those photo's it looks like a tossup for shortest book, either:

1) Science and God -or-
2) Good moments for men.

:lol:
:wink: Actually it's "God Moments for Men"

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm

Hey, @Utisz I recall that cloud book seeming interesting. I could've been just be seeing things though.

On Youtube, I used to post messages to Alexandra Daddario and she posted some of her book shelf but, then I couldn't even read the titles. Later on she read a quote from Walden by Henry David Thoreau. What can I say. I'm friendly and winsomely. Alex is pretty cool people, insofar as her videos are short and the rare occasions she's made mention of certain video comments and such (that I'm notorious for deleting heh). I initiated our acquaintance when, in 2020, I noticed her visibly perturbed and being a diva. I knew she needed a hug or whatever. So I wrote her a message a little later about how, just by our thoughtful influence (curated, if online but, mostly in real life), we can fill in a thousand different empty corners of knowledge and understanding for others that they wouldn't have had access to otherwise. Just consistent encouragement and some Yoga positive mantras and such., because she'd been spending a lot of time alone in quarantine. I used to do camera work like her pal Morgan Mc Nally (back in Socal) - instantly related to that one. Also, I have a crush on her friend ... um. Kate Easton. Check out her booty video. Shout out to Kate Easton for showin' love to a fan! (I like leaving easter eggs on the off chance somebody wants a giggle) I'm a nerd.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:00 am
After the 8.1 earthquake on Raoul Island in the Kermadecs. The rangers had been away since last year because of covid but were due to be dropped off a week or so ago. Their drop off by the navy was delayed because Auckland went back into Level 3 for 7 days. The Met Service went and had a look today.

They mainly look like a bunch of books you'd find in the bargain bucket of a secondhand book store or a charity shop.
Ex falso, quodlibet