Post by Utisz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:56 pm

Autochthonic wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:00 pm
And even a mural of Madrigal's friend.
Matapacos has gone global! :O
Just noticing he even has a Wikipedia article! :O :O
last_caress wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm
Kinda missed the boat on this thread before. Really awesome murals.

It's fascinating, the artist's mindset creating such amazing work with under these conditions. I suppose it's the adrenaline rush and the free publicity that offsets the ephemerality.

How long do they typically last?
I think most of the ones that Madrigal posted are pasted on as they are concentrated in the areas of protest, and thus of police scrutiny, so there's no time to be loafing around. The ones she posted are also around a museum, so they will probably last longer. Many of the murals are removed, painted over, etc., within a couple of months, giving a fresh canvas for the next set.

The amount of graffiti here exploded around the time of the protests. Certain streets were covered for blocks and blocks.

Madrigal

Re: Seen on the street

Post by Madrigal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:30 pm

Autochthonic wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:00 pm
Here's a few more.
I love the dragon picture, not just the mural but the picture. Did you wait for an Asian lady to walk by to snap that one? :P I like these old/young contrast pics. (Got me thinking of the old lady in one of my favorite Marc Riboud photos)

I confess I wait around for people to pass by sometimes. The worst is when a considerate subject decides to wait until I put my camera down as they don't want to ruin the shot.

Oh and thanks for the riot dog!

Autochthonic

Post by Autochthonic » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:35 am

last_caress wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:32 pm
Kinda missed the boat on this thread before. Really awesome murals.

It's fascinating, the artist's mindset creating such amazing work with under these conditions. I suppose it's the adrenaline rush and the free publicity that offsets the ephemerality.

How long do they typically last?
Check the section from the city's web site.
https://www.visitoakland.com/things-to- ... re/murals/

Well ... it depends. Often, the murals are painted with the consent, participation, even funding of the property owners. The fact that the community participates in creating these works of art mean the buildings are more rarely vandalized. If you leave an un-decorated structure lying around in Oakland, it'll be incorporated into someone's piece of public art eventually. It's seen as better to have some say in who draws what.

Some of them are landmarks that have been there for decades and are actively maintained.

https://localwiki.org/oakland/Bruce_Lee_Mural

Not totally sure how long this Bruce Lee mural has been there. At least five or six years.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:51 pm

This is shameful. I swear the internet is just not a wholesome place anymore. Got our retired commander and chief so senile he's becoming mesmerized by weiners.

Now you understand why they have to build a wall. Keep out all those jungle penises.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:21 pm

feet.jpg
feet.jpg (353.49 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
on-Chinese-sign-small.jpg
on-Chinese-sign-small.jpg (168.21 KiB) Viewed 5281 times

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:16 pm

I saw a humongous parked car that turned out to be a Rolls Royce. I think it's the first time in my life I've seen one parked on the street. I not even sure I've seen one on the road. I've seen videos of modern ones like the one I saw but they didn't convey the size or conspicuousness.

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:14 pm

I found a heavy duty tripod in the middle of a large avenue. I didn't take it at first because I was on the way out and I wanted to give the people who lost it a chance to find it, but it was still there hours later when I was on my way home, so I took it. Something has to be fitted on a wedged shaped thing at the top of the tripod. The wedge is about 1" diameter at the bottom and slightly less than 1" at the top. I couldn't find anything like it on the internet yet.

I was trying to picture how it could have been lost and unfortunately my best guess it is bounced out of a garbage truck. If I keep it I'll spray it with disinfectant.

EDIT: I just found out it's a light stand. I'll clean, disinfect, and keep it.