Post by Roger Mexico » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:27 am

Limey

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Limey » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 pm

Yellow by Coldplay sang better than Coldplay

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:25 am

Shihad's cover of Split Enz's "I Got You" has just broken the record for a song being at number one. 19 weeks in a row.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:29 pm

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:25 am

:secret:

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:18 am

These lads are a problem.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:01 am

ashi wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:11 am
Once she completely changed her appearance and personality(?) as part of her play for the American/Anglophone market, I soured on her and avoided her albums for years. I eventually got over it, in theory, but much of her later music is also less interesting to me so the end result was the same. But I will always have Dónde Están los Ladrones? and MTV Unplugged, even if I can't listen to or watch the latter without thinking of Shakira saying she took to raqs sharqi without training because of ancestral memory. 😒

Oh well, it is still a great concert video and for me the definitive version of Shakira and her music.
I had a friend who worked for Sony Music back in the early OOs and she got me a poster and promo video of Whenever, Wherever, on VHS no less, :P in the summer before it was released, because she knew what a fan I was of hers. Image
I just kinda stared with my mouth open, sorta in disbelief. I was like, "Uh, they made her lose weight, she's so thin!" "Uhh, she's blonde. Why?!?!" I don't know if I was kicked more in the gut by her blonde hair or her weight loss. I put the video in and was much happier after seeing that. :nod: Oh, I got a promo CD of the single, too. It had both the English and Spanish version, Suerte, which I liked better. I don't think I got the full album at that time, I think that came to me later. Not gonna lie, I was more than a bit disappointed.

Side note: did you watch the show Felicity? Did her haircut turn you off?

What else was I going to say about Shakira??? Heh, I was about to say it's odd that I'm drawing such a blank but I guess it has been 20 years since it came out... Oh, it musta been in '98, there was this absolutely ginormous promo display for Shakira when Dónde Están los Ladrones? came out at the main Virgin Megastore in Hollywood. I was kinda surprised to see it. I wanna say it was '96 when I first heard of her and kinda dug her but I didn't think she was in line for such a huge promo push. Like, I thought that woulda only been reserved for someone Gloria Trevi's size. The record shop was divided into sections, even with separate rooms for different genres, but this was on display for everyone to see when entering and not just being queen of the Latin music section. Even given the large Spanish speaking population in LA, this wouldn't have been the the expected location for such a display. Looking back, I guess that's about the time a label would do a big push. I didn't really know the market so maybe there was greater anticipation than I would've guessed.

I guess it worked, as I ended up buying it. Who knows when I would've otherwise gotten around to it? I don't even know who I woulda been looking for at the time?? I already had the new Garbage and Hole that had come out. Disappointed by both when I first heard them but came to love them. I guess this was still back when I'd go into a record store just cuz I was there? I guess I wasn't completely surprised that she'd do a fully English album when Laundry Service came out but I thought they woulda done back-to-back Spanish/English albums to capitalize on her rising notoriety she had with English speaking audience, though knowing her in Spanish, and then use one to propel the other.

I'm with you, though, I liked her early initial Spanish albums best. I have liked more songs on her last couple of albums than from the previous decade or so. I realize one can't really "go back" but even her later Spanish language songs haven't had the same endearing qualities. I will give her props for the effort of writing songs on more than just acoustic guitar and taking up various dance styles and giving source credit to them. Not just appropriating them or pretending to be something she's not.
Madrigal wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 am
Yeah, I noticed she toned down the arab stuff after 9/11, someone must have told her she wasn't going to sell records in the US like that. I remember lots of girls getting into belly-dancing back then, lol.
I have some Lebanese friends who'd decry that she didn't give enough notice to her Lebanese side. Tbh, I don't think she ever tuned down the belly dancing. The one time where she didn't dance where I was expecting it, and largely shocked that she didn't, was when she was on VH-1 Divas. That woulda been one of her best chances to be exposed to a larger mainstream US audience. Even though VH-1 was basic cable like MTV. That show(s) and subsequent dvd sales would bring in pretty big numbers. She didn't dance, like at all! But, my theory was that it was Celine Dion's and maybe Cher's people saying, "she can be on, but she's not dancing" because they didn't want their stiff, cardboard cut-out artists being 100% upstaged by the 20-something hips machine. Celine's grand entrance through the audience from the back of the arena to the stage, trying to rock out to AC/DC was an embarrassment to entitled soccer moms everywhere. I have no proof of what did or didn't go down but that was my assumption at the time.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:00 am

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:52 am

Drunk choices