Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:34 am

[

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Birmingham's finest (unless you count half of Led Zep)...

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 am

These guys get what was actually good about 80s pop. It’s like Phil Collins before he got obsessed with the Alamo. I don’t think my taste is defensible either.

SIDE NOTE: Nothing impresses me more in music than someone who can play the drums and sing at the same time.

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:28 am
ashi wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:11 am
Nostalgia attacks. Critical hit!

(On an unrelated note, I am thankful that I never had braided and/or purple hair and that there is no extant photographic evidence to say otherwise.)
:clap: That is so 90s!

I didn't do the braids but I did the tightly twirled hair like Alanis Morisette. Hey it was a viable aesthetic option for people like me. xD

It's too bad I spent a lot of time not liking Shakira because she dated a neoliberal Argentine politician (whose father, the ex-president, was ousted by a revolt). She also had a video where she trashed a Marx portrait. Poor lady was very confused back then. Anyway, I realize that I liked so many of her songs despite all that. The chorus on this one makes everyone start to wail.
I typed a reply immediately but either never sent it or the internet gremlins ate it. 🤔

I would have been completely unaware of Argentine politics at the time but managed to write her off for a different questionable reason: Once she completely changed her appearance and personality(?) as part of her play for the American/Anglophone market, I soured on her and avoided her albums for years. I eventually got over it, in theory, but much of her later music is also less interesting to me so the end result was the same. But I will always have Dónde Están los Ladrones? and MTV Unplugged, even if I can't listen to or watch the latter without thinking of Shakira saying she took to raqs sharqi without training because of ancestral memory. 😒

Oh well, it is still a great concert video and for me the definitive version of Shakira and her music.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 am

ashi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am
Once she completely changed her appearance and personality(?) as part of her play for the American/Anglophone market, I soured on her and avoided her albums for years. I eventually got over it, in theory, but much of her later music is also less interesting to me so the end result was the same.
That's a great version of the song, I had forgotten about it. Yeah, I noticed she toned down the arab stuff after 9/11, someone must have told her she wasn't going to sell records in the US like that. I remember lots of girls getting into belly-dancing back then, lol.

djm

Post by djm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:22 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 am
ashi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:11 am
Once she completely changed her appearance and personality(?) as part of her play for the American/Anglophone market, I soured on her and avoided her albums for years. I eventually got over it, in theory, but much of her later music is also less interesting to me so the end result was the same.
That's a great version of the song, I had forgotten about it. Yeah, I noticed she toned down the arab stuff after 9/11, someone must have told her she wasn't going to sell records in the US like that. I remember lots of girls getting into belly-dancing back then, lol.
I met Shakira once, was sat two rows behind her on a flight to Jordan from Heathrow. She was tiny. Was on the way to give a private concert for King Abdullah.

Edit for clarification, Shakira was on the way to do a concert. I was on the way to advise on farms in the Jordan Valley. It would be a pretty crappy concert if I was doing it!

djm

Post by djm » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:40 pm

George Harrisons very underappreciated first solo album. Let it down, and What is Life are particularly good.

JohnClay

Post by JohnClay » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:08 am

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:33 am

Stuck in a bad taste rut until this song starts to sound stupid again
Is that a furry tail buttplug? This song is stupid. PHEW
Orestes Pursued by the Furies references though secretly kind of baller

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:21 am

"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi