What are you listening to?

Worldly and otherworldly topics
SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon May 24, 2021 8:50 am

Real rap starts with a thoroughbred lyricist.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Mon May 24, 2021 8:56 am

just a white boy raised by the seaside ... if you live this life of mine you get why I've got this twisted mind of mine.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Thu May 27, 2021 12:54 am

Perpetuating the assumption, that society is inherently racist, rather than caricatures of itself. OJ Simpson is no different from a white millionaire that admitted he got away with murder (or would have lost the defense in an accusation from one of the surviving victims of a house attack, in which he used a balaclava https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Cullen_Davis ) which is not unlike when OJ presumably implicated himself by driving away down the highway to escape prosecution, or when he raided the hotel to retrieve his Heisman trophy. . . Or wrote a book called, 'If I did it?" FUCK OJ!

Along with stereotyping, if people want to think someone like Al Jolson (the blackface actor) was being racist, he was starring in a role that was created by George Gershwin who had an entire cast of black actors and was active in promoting performances that integrated receptivity to black performances. Out of context with the sentiments of caricaturization, thinking that OJ is in any way a good role model, or throwing around the absurdity of wealth (which Jay Z has) seems to mischaracterize the inequality that perpetuates slavery (which has not gone away, and I'm sure Jay Z would also like to--oh wait he has--get on the bandwagon of manufacturing clothing in third world countries or having inmates apply "Made in USA" labels to foreign-made clothing within prisons.)

So what is Jay Z going to do to not perpetuate the characterization of criminals like OJ as somehow a victim of persecution (hint: OJ's own 'Jury of Peers' exonerated him from culpability?)
Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

DJ Drug Problem
Formerly: DJ Fresh Produce

Post by DJ Drug Problem » Fri May 28, 2021 4:54 pm

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri May 28, 2021 9:29 pm

ashi wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:22 pm
Now that things are opening up and people are talking about touring again I am thinking about how nearly everyone I would want to see is dead, in their 70s, or like Lori Lewis retired from touring at 30 because lol fuck you.
Here is Lori Lewis performing with Therion. What's that, you say? A Swedish band doing an album of symphonic metal covers of yé-yé songs with guest singers of wildly different styles sounds like a terrible idea? Well, yes, quite, but it is also the best idea. What could possibly go wrong?

ashi

Post by ashi » Sat May 29, 2021 1:14 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:25 am
ashi wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 6:04 pm
Eurovision! 1965! France Gall! That crushing cynicism that makes you love French pop!

Well holy shit. This existentialist monstruosity is absolutely mesmerizing. And she's got some gestures that seem to suggest she'd be more comfortable as a raging rock star.
Oh, ho ho! In this regard, and in many others, France Gall is an endless delight. One of my favourites of hers is "Laisse tomber les filles"

later covered to fantastic effect by Ren and Stimpy animator (🤷🏻‍♀️) Elinor Blake

which I listened to roughly fifteen million times between 1996-2000. (embedded here is the full album, the first track of which is "Laisse tomber les filles")

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat May 29, 2021 3:29 am

Doowop

Catoptric

Post by Catoptric » Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 am

Societal egress and ennui
Hello / Goodbye / Just a moment / Nothing / Cosmic / Man / Dream / Civilization / Open / Contact / Tremble / Gas / Memory / Transcend / ^2

SomeInternetBloke

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:38 pm

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:45 pm

My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once.
Last edited by ashi on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.