Covid news and views

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Covid news and views

Post by Madrigal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:20 pm

Because whether you like it or not, it still is.

I keep having a recurring dream where I'm in a group of people without any social distancing, and then I suddenly realize we're not distancing and I'm not wearing a mask. And I try to get away but keep thinking it's too late. I start feeling panicky and wake up.

It looks like I'd be getting Sinovac once it's available to my age group. Effectiveness 50%. :ph34r: But I think it's very effective against any severe form of Covid. Restrictions are loose in my district right now - I'm seeing tons of people at bars and restaurants and parks - but are expected to come back in March as cases rise.

I want to be optimistic but I'm pretty scared of the new variants popping up and how that can undo the progress science has made so far.
Last edited by Madrigal on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tags:

starla

Re: Covid news and views

Post by starla » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm

Generally as viruses mutate they get less deadly. They mutate so they can continue to spread, and things spread best if people feel good enough to go out and infect others, even when they're teeming with virus.

I'm kind of amazed I haven't gotten COVID yet. Or maybe I have.

I may be the only one, but I'm really going to miss this pandemic. This is what life would be like if the population just plummeted, and the people who disappeared were managers and other folks doing useless work who make money off the backs of blue collar workers. I hope my company does WFH for those people forever.

Sinny

Post by Sinny » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:09 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:20 pm
Because whether you like it or not, it still is.

I keep having a recurring dream where I'm in a group of people without any social distancing, and then I suddenly realize we're not distancing and I'm not wearing a mask. And I try to get away but keep thinking it's too late. I start feeling panicky and wake up.

It looks like I'd be getting Sinovac once it's available to my age group. Effectiveness 50%. :ph34r: But I think it's very effective against any severe form of Covid. Restrictions are loose in my district right now - I'm seeing tons of people at bars and restaurants and parks - but are expected to come back in March as cases rise.

I want to be optimistic but I'm pretty scared of the new variants popping up and how that can undo the progress science has made so far.
Had to log in just to LOL at this, hard :lol:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm

starla wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:40 pm

I may be the only one, but I'm really going to miss this pandemic. This is what life would be like if the population just plummeted, and the people who disappeared were managers and other folks doing useless work who make money off the backs of blue collar workers. I hope my company does WFH for those people forever.
It's not enough for me. I miss the theater, restaurants, hugging, live events, and the hypothetical chance of traveling abroad safely. And of course, not wearing a mask.

starla

Post by starla » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:52 pm

It's not enough for me. I miss the theater, restaurants, hugging, live events, and the hypothetical chance of traveling abroad safely. And of course, not wearing a mask.
Yes, well we're travelling anyway, and going to restaurants. And I'm odd in that I've spent so much of my career wearing a mask that they don't bother me. Until I get on a plane that is, then I want to rip the fucker off for some reason. I don't know what it is about airplanes that make wearing a mask so intolerable.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:12 pm

I'm hoping for a full re-opening come fall.

Hopefully, the pendulum will swing the other way once all the production lines for the various vaccines ramp up over the summer (i.e. more vaccine doses than people who need them). Can't live like this forever, just too damn boring (not to mention hell on the economy).

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:26 pm

starla wrote:
I'm kind of amazed I haven't gotten COVID yet. Or maybe I have.
I'm with you, it's so hard to know. Have I been careful enough? Have I not been too closely exposed? Have I gotten it and my immune system destroyed it before it took root? Have I had it and not known? Apparently those antibody tests are as accurate as a Buzzfeed career choice test.

It's not that I've not walked out to get the mail without my mask or scratched my nose or ear without having washed my hands first but I stil am kinda amazed at how many people I see half-assing their way through life about this. No, I don't believe masks or vac or gloves to be 100% guards but the probability levels being diminished are staggering. Why not protect yourself?

When it first broke, and still somewhat today, I didn't want to be like the first person to have at my office or church or whatever out of fear of being the one who gave it to others. Of course, even if I were to be the first to present it wouldn't mean that I was the first to contract it. I really didn't want to be the one who spread it to someone who may've suffered the most catastrophic results. I traveled over the holidays mainly to help out with my elderly mom who had some health issues and my bro in law who was going through cancer treatment. If I gave it to either of them, there would've been a level of guilt I don't know how I would've overcome.

The traffic is definitely starting to come back in LA. Things are more crowded but socially, things haven't opened back up. I've seen a few online plays that have made great use of the medium. Some musicians performing in their own living rooms and backyards has been cool but I do look forward to checking out a live show and maybe meeting someone new or catching up with people I haven't seen in a while.

I don't know what to make of the vaccines. I know someone who got one but still contracted the virus. They say 6 days after before it really takes root and he got word on day 6. He had also worked in a hospital since the start of the outbreak and got sick around new years, so it's weird that he managed to avoid it for so long. I get the flu shot sporadically. Hard to know if it's worked or I had just been fortunate. Not sure if I've had the flu in 25 years. There seem to be a number of factors to ensure the efficacy of the shots. I don't think it'll do any harm but there's no way of knowing the chain of protocols had been followed up until it reached my arm. I'll get it and just hope the risk of my dying from it will be greatly reduced.

Light Leak

Post by Light Leak » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:52 pm

starla wrote:
I may be the only one, but I'm really going to miss this pandemic.
I'll miss parts of it. I like working from home. I don't miss social things. It's kind of nice to not be expected to go to things and I don't have to make up excuses to not go. I hope I can continue to work from home when it's all over. If I had to go into the office maybe once a week that would be fine, but I don't want to go back to commuting every day.

I won't miss having to wear masks. I feel like I'm slowly suffocating in a mask. I don't know how people who don't work from home manage to wear them all day.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:41 am

Who benefits? Big pharma, public health types, click merchants, AmazonMart, anyone getting the same money to not commute and/or get dressed.

Who doesn’t benefit? Tourism, religion, restaurants, performing arts, gyms.

This has largely been presented as a life saving measure for the elderly. No elderly people I’ve spoken to are in favor of keeping kids out of school so they can live to a hundred, although I’m sure these people exist. My grandma was, for all intents and purposes, imprisoned for the last six months of her life.

The platitudes are worse than losing a job I loved. We are not all in this together.

I hate talking to people thru plexiglass. I hate masks. I hate social distancing. I hate Zoom. I hate being reduced to a biohazard.

I’m baffled that people are mad at the non-compliant rather than the eggheads who claimed they could get millions of people to comply to something and just wound up punishing rule abiders for over a year.

And shit like this makes my blood boil:

https://www.torontosun.com/news/provinc ... punishment

starjots

Post by starjots » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:50 pm

I miss restaurants, museums, and concerts as well even though I like being home. I've got enough home time logged for awhile. We're over the hump and almost there for the general populace (a few months). Of course people will do what people will do, but it feels like time is now on our side. I'm 80% sure I got COVID a year ago at the start and don't want a repeat.

We've got a one month RV trip planned for April, my son is getting married (the family get together version) in Mexico mid September. In 2022 I hope we can go to Europe or Canada.

So color me mildly optimistic.