Covid news and views

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Re: Covid news and views

Post by Utisz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:22 am

last_caress wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:34 am
This was done at a football stadium and I was surprised that everyone working there seemed to be military and wearing fatigues, right down to the girl that gave me the injection.
You really should have added a trigger warning to Latin Americans on your post.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:26 pm

Yeah last night I dreamed I was on this campus with a lot of other people and the military had surrounded us, and I was trying to make a rope so we could escape 8 floors down a window. I dunno if it was because of this thread or because I was doomscrolling stuff about Myanmar before bed.

MissBingo
Formerly: I enjoy mall walking

Post by MissBingo » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:42 am

Personally, I didn't mind the lockdown last year. In the beginning, very little was known about the virus, so it seemed reasonable to me.

Fast forward a couple of months: Okay, we're getting an idea. In my opinion, the ongoing lockdowns, especially suspending in-class learning at school, has been a disaster. I flew to see my family and friends nearly every month, the same as always. In my unscientific opinion, the virus could have been better controlled by a mask mandate with with a citation and fine for violations. Trump and the rebels without a cause who acted like masks were government torture of its citizens fueled the spread. Why bother with lockdowns in that case?

Kids need to be in school for psychological health, not to mention actually learning something! The online school stuff is workable in a secure family, but not in a financially vulnerable or otherwise unhealthy situation. The middle-class may have jobs they can do from home, but that is not the case for many people. I sympathize with parents who had no childcare, and notably NO comfy work from home option. These people simply had to put on their clothes every morning and head out the door, completely exposed except for their masks. And then -- naturally -- selfish SOBs who refused to wear masks put people who couldn't avoid them in danger. Several transit authority drivers died in my city, and many caught covid. The poor suffered the most. Making money means risking illness.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Chile totally closed its borders for April. Can't get in or out.

starjots

Post by starjots » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:40 am

I think everybody in my immediate family but one kid (signed up and on the list) has had at least one shot. 40% of the people in my state have had at least one shot. I think we're leading the country on this one...

But COVID numbers are still stubbornly high - 60 to 70K a day in the US, a thousand deaths a day, plus or minus. And the world numbers are ticking upward again - fourth wave.

In the pragmatic spirit of kumbaya, I hope 'we' get every person on the planet vaccinated who wants to be as soon as possible. This is a race of mutation vs medicine.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 pm

starla wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 am
I am interested to see how all the countries tally up in terms of COVID deaths when all is said and done. It seems like Sweden isn't doing that poorly relative to other European countries that did lock down.
There's an interesting article in the New Yorker on Sweden. https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... =TNY_Daily

On the local covid news front, we're opening a quarantine free bubble with Australia. Business has been clamoring for it for months but I see there's quite a few people who are not in tourism who can't see why we're not waiting for the vaccination programme to be complete. The vaccination programme is not likely to be finished for months and there's still the 25% who are vaccine hesitant...

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:48 pm
On the local covid news front, we're opening a quarantine free bubble with Australia. Business has been clamoring for it for months but I see there's quite a few people who are not in tourism who can't see why we're not waiting for the vaccination programme to be complete. The vaccination programme is not likely to be finished for months and there's still the 25% who are vaccine hesitant...
'Vaccine hesistant', a circumlocutionary way of saying 'cretin'...
Ex falso, quodlibet

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:57 pm

Ferrus wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:13 pm
jyng1 wrote:
'Vaccine hesistant', a circumlocutionary way of saying 'cretin'...
Our new Emergency Management Minister who did an awesome job during the recent Tsunami alert was recently diagnosed with stage 3 cervical cancer. It turns out she was receiving the diagnosis while she was fronting the media during the alert.

I really like her and it's devastating news, but I can't help thinking that the media and almost everyone else (apart from MP and infectious diseases doctor Areysha Verrall) haven't make a point of including in their comments that cervical cancer is a vaccine preventable disease.

I fucken hate anti-vaxxers with a passion. Saying that only 6% are anti-vaccine and won't be persuadable, but they're the ones who are spreading vaccine misinformation that is making the other 19% vaccine hesitant.

starla

Post by starla » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 am

jyng1 wrote:
There's an interesting article in the New Yorker on Sweden. https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispatch ... =TNY_Daily
I did not have time to read this but after a three minute skim, it looks like a bunch of anecdotes before finally ending with no conclusions. Is this a valid summary?

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 am

starla wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 am
jyng1 wrote:
I did not have time to read this but after a three minute skim, it looks like a bunch of anecdotes before finally ending with no conclusions. Is this a valid summary?
What were you looking for? Sweden's fatality rate is about 10 times its neighbouring Scandi countries (Finland has 846 with a population half of Sweden which has over 13,000 deaths). The decline in economic activity is no worse in Finland.

Did you just want to directly compare country statistics? Sweden has half the deaths of Belgium, less than France but a lot more than Germany....

Sweden also has ~2,500 times more covid deaths than Taiwan which also didn't lock down.