Covid news and views

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starla

Re: Covid news and views

Post by starla » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 pm

jyng1 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 am
What were you looking for? Sweden's fatality rate is about 10 times its neighbouring Scandi countries (Finland has 846 with a population half of Sweden which has over 13,000 deaths). The decline in economic activity is no worse in Finland.

Did you just want to directly compare country statistics? Sweden has half the deaths of Belgium, less than France but a lot more than Germany....

Sweden also has ~2,500 times more covid deaths than Taiwan which also didn't lock down.
Huh, Taiwan is interesting. Did they have any covid response or did they just shut borders and get lucky?

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:05 pm

starla wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:29 pm
jyng1 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:36 am
What were you looking for? Sweden's fatality rate is about 10 times its neighbouring Scandi countries (Finland has 846 with a population half of Sweden which has over 13,000 deaths). The decline in economic activity is no worse in Finland.

Did you just want to directly compare country statistics? Sweden has half the deaths of Belgium, less than France but a lot more than Germany....

Sweden also has ~2,500 times more covid deaths than Taiwan which also didn't lock down.
Huh, Taiwan is interesting. Did they have any covid response or did they just shut borders and get lucky?
Taiwan is the international Gold standard in covid response. Mainly because they got shat on by SARS the first time 'round they implemented a whole system to identify outbreaks early and then have a comprehensive response. It's mainly based around public masking, testing and digital contact tracing I think (there was a Kiwi living there talking about it on RNZ on Sunday morning).

They closed their border to China before anyone else was even thinking about it.

Our Libertarian party keeps saying we should adopt their digital contact tracing model and the Greens keep raising their eyebrows at the contradiction of Libertarians pleading for more Government invasion of private citizens privacy.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 pm

I can count the amount of times I've been sick (excluding lies to wiggle out of obligations i.e. dates, school, work) and thus am debating whether to even get the corona virus vaccine. I've lived with people who've had ebola, sars, tuberculosis, hepatitis C, aids, halitosis (heh) et cetera (well maybe they weren't contagious for reasons of pharmaceutical intervention *shrugs*), and I've always had a clean bill of health. I attribute my immunity, except for the occasional cold, to a grade school habit of eating a steady diet of ABC gum. See back then it was a way to loosen up the cutie prudes with potential to join my haram, "Whatcha doin? Omg, *sniff* that's smells delicious can I try some? No. I want your piece." - kinda thing. If she refused I'd taunt her, "What you got cooties or something?", then pretend her saliva had a special flavor, "mm omg yo this gum tastes delicious."

Anyone got advice on whether I should take the corona virus vaccine?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:02 am

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:24 pm
I've lived with people who've had ebola, sars, tuberculosis, hepatitis C, aids, halitosis
What kind of third world shithole do you live in?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:57 pm

Argentina had 20,000 cases yesterday. The Bs As governor said "this isn't a wave, it's a tsunami." I've gotten a bit more paranoid here. Brazil also just keeps spitting out new mutations. Fine mess 2021 is turning out to be, though I guess I always knew the New Year's optimism was silly.

Ferrus

Post by Ferrus » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:16 am

Some of the regulations in Spain are mindbendingly ridiculous and are the consequence of the extremely complicated political system rather than any scientific basis or even basic logic.

Catalonia swaps between being allowed to travel inside the whole autonomous community or only at comarca level. Which is fine. What doesn't make sense is that tourists - mainly French people seeking to escape the much tighther restrictions in France by going to parties and bars in Spain, especially in Madrid where the local govt. is especially lax - are given carte blanche to go where they please. Also tourists arriving by plane have to have a valid PCR. But if you are a tourist arriving by car or coach - which means France as Portugal has fully closed its border with Spain for a few months now - no PCR required. :?: This despite the fact that the new variants seem to be raging in France and other European countries within a car-journey's distance.

Also they are now insisting on masks for sunbathing on a beach even when at a distance from other people. At the same time many restaurants and bars are open with people inside at tables unmasked even though all the evidence now points to COVID mainly being spread indoors by aerosol transmission.
Ex falso, quodlibet

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:01 am

I finally got a vaccine appointment at location reasonably close and I started filling out the necessary forms, then I cancelled. Six months after the second shot I would have been traveling for hours either on public transportation or in a relative's car to spend hours with relatives for Thanksgiving. Maybe next month I'll try getting another appointment. I have an N-95 mask anyway and I don't go out much. If I knew I could get a booster within 6 months, I'd have kept my appointment but they don't have boosters yet.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:02 pm

The first Pfizer shot, nothing but a little arm pain. Piece o' cake. The second one this Saturday however packed a punch. I had to cancel plans Sunday, got into bed at noon and didn't get out until 21 hours later, around 9 am this morning. Major fatigue, 100.4 F fever, aches. If I didn't work from home I would have needed two days off. Hoping to be back to 100% tomorrow.

I'm really hoping this lasts awhile because I'm not looking forward to doing that again.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:23 pm

I think it's a good idea to take vitamin D supplements to help prevent Covid and, (which they don't tell you) to reduce side effects from the vaccine. I take just a 500 IU chewable which is low but with the food I eat it's probably enough. 1000 IU is probably better. I also plan on eating somewhat more anti-inflammatory foods (I think garlic, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) leading up to the vaccine. Studies show that a little resistance exercise before and after the vaccine helps too, with the arm pain. But I read about a guy who did too much and he had really bad arm pain.

I'm over 50 and overdue for a shingles vaccine, which is another two-parter, with worse side effects than the Covid vaccines. I'll be getting that a month or two after I'm done with the Covid vaccines, then I'll probably need a Covid booster before the end of 2021.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:44 am

Today after work I got the vaccine and the nurse said the needle is an inch long and all that. Felt nothing. Afterward I asked my nurse Diraj if he really stuck me and peeled back the band-aid. This is how I probably looked in my folding metal chair in the ball room of the Double Tree hotel tonight.

(That's all you get, this isn't pvt. There's rules you guys)

(Edit) notice the ears? K guys just making sure.
Last edited by SomeInternetBloke on Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi