Covid news and views

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Covid news and views

Post by Madrigal » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:56 am
I wonder how often people got colds over the last year compared with pre-Covid. I haven't had one since pre-Covid, maybe because of the isolation and masks.
I probably only ever get a cold or a flu every decade or so. It's a very rare event. I seem to recall spending a lot of my early childhood with a fever, so I like to believe I got it all back then and built up some immunity.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm getting my first Pfizer vaccine tomorrow.
Attachments
vaccine-side-effects.jpg
vaccine-side-effects.jpg (69.51 KiB) Viewed 3091 times

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Pfizer -> Words and Rules book by Steven Pinker -> retrieve paper online that summarizes neuroscientific research -> look for new post in What are you reading for pdf to journal article.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Young vaccine lady saw my folded vaccine card and recommended I not fold it because "it's pretty important." I said OK and put it unfolded in the bill compartment of my wallet. At the subway station I looked at it and overruled her. I'll tape it if it tears. I'll make an electronic copy and forge it if I lose it. It's not like there's a hologram or something on it. It's just a dumb sized piece of cardboard. Make it wallet friendly if you don't want people to fold it.

My Metrocard for the subway expired a year and two days ago which is two days too late to renew it at the station so I had to pay for a new one and mail it in for another new one or whatever they give you.

It hurt less than either Shingles vaccine, but I still don't get people who say they don't feel it. Not feeling a needle pierce your skin has to be a sign of something. They need to look up a good nerve health diet.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:46 am

what do you want from me man? of course they superficially poked me. I trust no one. No one. I've seen so much most of the people on here would make me an initiate in their badass basement clubs or whatever sorcerers do (I'm a wizard, I know it). I could make a mean matatoe salad. <--- please add this to the comments rotation thanks ok bye.
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:28 pm

Nine hours after the vaccine the injection site hurt more than either Shingles shot when I raise my arm. Same this morning. But it's been only 1-1/2 weeks since the second Shingles shot and I didn't exercise my arm before or after the Pfizer shot. I'll probably go back to exercising it for the second shot.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:30 pm

I didn't realize it's a standard CDC card. On mine, instead of writing the vaccine, they put a sticker that spans 1-3/4 rows. The second dose sticker will have to be placed more on the "other" line than the second dose line. And they could have made it 2x business card size with a line in the center intended for folding. Anyway, it's not intended for proof of vaccination. I wonder how long I'll have to wait for something more official.
Attachments
Covid-vaccine-card-Wall-St-Journal.jpg
Covid-vaccine-card-Wall-St-Journal.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 3014 times

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:21 pm

I'd be getting a third dose, this time of Pfizer. I'm ok with that.

jyng1

Post by jyng1 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:25 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:21 pm
I'd be getting a third dose, this time of Pfizer. I'm ok with that.
BioNtech have just developed a vaccine specific for the Delta strain. The magic of mRNA vaccines is that once they get the virus genome it only takes a couple of weeks (I don't know how long the testing takes).

starjots

Post by starjots » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:19 pm

CDC just authorized third shots for immuno-compromised. My wife fits the bill due to medicine she takes, will visit the local Wal-Mart Monday to get another shot. Hopefully they got the news, I'd feel better if she were more protected.

My son and daughter in law came through town on way to a wedding. We (all vaccinated) went out to eat and talked for a couple of hours about COVID, vaccines (and other stuff of course)... in a restaurant with no mask with 25% capacity. Are we tempting fate? Trying to get a small case of delta before we go to Mexico? Balancing risks? Stupid? Not sure, but the chile relleno was excellent.