Covid news and views

Worldly and otherworldly topics
starjots

Re: Covid news and views

Post by starjots » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:14 am

After reading the latest posts, I think this is going to make me sound like an asshole. We got our vaccinations a month ago, everyone in the family except one kid has them as well. We went to see them all over the last two weeks and socialized just like the old days. We even went out to eat five times in the last two weeks (lots of stops). The first time was weird, after that, didn't bother me at all.

We made reservations for second attempt at son's wedding in Mexico (his wife is from Mexico) in late September. I rate this at 80% chance of happening - mostly dependent on travel rules between countries.

I still double masked today for my shopping trip, but it's just so I don't get too lax. We'll keep wearing masks around others, but being vaccinated is - hopefully - a game changer. Hope everyone gets one soon.

When the booster comes out (already talk of that for Moderna vaccine), I'm getting in line.

HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Post by HighlyIrregular » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:12 pm

SomeInternetBloke wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:44 am
Today after work I got the vaccine and the nurse said the needle is an inch long and all that. Felt nothing.
I read about an "Ancillary Supply Administration Kit" for COVID vaccines that includes 85 1" needles and 20 1.5" needles. A 1.5" needle is considered acceptable for adults over 152 lbs but so is a 1" needle. I don't want the 50% extra tissue damage! I'm thinking about walking out of my appointment if they don't have a 1" needle for me. I found these general vaccination guidelines here:
Adults, 19 years and older: 22–25-gauge - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130 lbs (60 kg) or less: 1 inch (25 mm⁴) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• 130–152 lbs (60–70 kg): 1 inch (25 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 152–260 lbs (70–118 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 152–200 lbs (70–90 kg): 1–1.5 inches (25–38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Men, 260 lbs (118 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵
• Women, 200 lbs (90 kg) or more: 1.5 inches (38 mm) - Deltoid muscle of arm ³,⁵

³ Preferred site
⁴ Some experts recommend a 5/8-inch needle for men and women weighing less than 60 kg, if used, skin must be stretched tightly and subcutaneous tissues must not be bunched.
⁵ The vastus lateralis muscle in the anterolateral thigh can also be used. Most adolescents and adults will require a 1- to 1.5-inch (25–38 mm) needle to ensure intramuscular administration.

ashi

Post by ashi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:52 pm

re: boosters

The new vaccination record cards we have at work already include a space for a third shot, so we are ready. One developing problem is that news coverage about covid swung toward the positive once we passed 20% vaccinated and since then people are in much less of a rush to get the shots. Where we were recently fully booked five weeks out we now have the odd open appointment for as little as two days out. I worry it may be a long road to 85%, but I hope to see you all there.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 pm

I hope something a little more durable is... in the cards.

I wouldn't worry too much about needle length. I felt neither shot. Both times I looked away for a few seconds and had to verify that they'd done it. Maybe they're really good or maybe I'm a beefcake. Could be both.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Had my Astra Zeneca shot this week.

I am not particularly worried about Covid, but want my ability to travel back and at this point would drink raw sewage if it just gave me my freedoms back. The UK is way ahead of Europe on vaccination, and until they catch up things wont get back to normal here either. So hopefully they will get their act together at some point.

I discuss how it is going in other countries fairly often. My friend in Jordan got his shot this week (Sinovac), but his elderly father has had the superior British vaccine. My Jordanian friend has been travelling here there and everywhere for weeks now, including to 'red listed' countries. Meanwhile we can't even sit inside a pub. This despite covid deaths being below that of road accidents and more than half the nation living in areas with zero cases. its getting old now.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:19 am

Chile is in the top five worldwide in terms of vaccination rate, but mostly with Sinovac. It seems to be a pretty solid vaccine in that people get COVID but chances of getting a serious case requiring hospitalisation is almost zero. What more could you hope for?

The only problem is that Ireland/EU doesn't recognise Sinovac as a valid vaccine. So to them (when I do get vaccinated) it would be as if I were never vaccinated. I can see this causing headaches long-term, especially as the Brazilian variants are widespread here, in terms of visiting home.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm

Wally World said on their website that I can drop the off old glasses there. I gathered the glasses of all my local extended family and took them down there but they said they had stopped accepting glasses ‘due to COVID.’ Get the fuck outta here. My father’s fifty year old glasses are what all the rude baristas are wearing these days and they’re just gathering dust.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Wed May 19, 2021 6:11 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:06 pm
Wally World said on their website that I can drop the off old glasses there. I gathered the glasses of all my local extended family and took them down there but they said they had stopped accepting glasses ‘due to COVID.’ Get the fuck outta here. My father’s fifty year old glasses are what all the rude baristas are wearing these days and they’re just gathering dust.
Didn't know what Wally World was but then I found this video.

This is more or less what I imagine y'all Americans do with a Tuesday.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm

Utisz wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:11 am
MoneyJungle wrote:

I don’t know if it’s regional but it’s what people around these parts call Wal-Mart. Makes it seem fun!

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Thu May 20, 2021 3:16 am

MoneyJungle wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 pm
Utisz wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:11 am
MoneyJungle wrote:

I don’t know if it’s regional but it’s what people around these parts call Wal-Mart. Makes it seem fun!
Classic film clip, the movie it's from seemed like mandatory for my household growing up, as opposed to novels and stuff.

I thought you lived in L.A. all those years ago - I was in Riverside - so I used to love tickling myself inside imagining the emergent oddness of me and you or Stuck meeting up for a beer. Yes, I can be delusional. Btw, anyone have Stuck's youtube channel link?
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi