Worldly and otherworldly topics
djm
Formerly: djm

Re: Ask the forum

Post by djm » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 am
A question for the female members ...
Not a female member (whatever that means these days) but dislike having facial hair. Indeed I am in a constant state of warfare (metaphorically and actually) with my skin. I hate shaving, but if stubble gets too long it hurts so always leaving until maximum discomfort (about 9 days) before relenting and shaving. My hair is like copper fusewire and I have very soft skin so always getting painful ingrown hairs. My stubble is able to blunt a razor in about half a shave, leading top many tiffs in our household about blunt razors (A steals my razor for legs and other stuff).

That aside from having nasty skin cancer twice in the last decade I do feel slightly persecuted by my own skin.

Anyways to answer the question I wasn't asked it is clean-shaven. As bigoted as it may sound in these weird times I would not be happy if A grew a beard.
Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm
Anyone allergic to mosquitos? They're not so common here, but the odd night I will wake up with swollen itchy bites. They only ever bite me. Clearly they are partial to a Château d'Irlande '85.

Any remedies? Was thinking of having antihistamine tablets handy.
Does Dengie fever count? Hardly ever get bitten, but I got one bite in Sabah (British North Borneo) once and contracted Dengie, which was most unpleasant. Fortunately never had malaria.

The auld scots approach is to put some bog myrtle in your hat, which works well on midges.
Last edited by djm on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashi

Post by ashi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:19 am

Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 am
A question for the female members ...

If you could grow facial hair similar to men, and it was more or less socially acceptable in a similar way to how it is for men, how would you keep it? Long, unkempt and strokable? Clean shaven? A precision-engineered Franz Josef?

Here's some options for reference:

Were I limited to these options: Short boxed or balbo. (neither terms I was previously familiar with) but this is certainly inaccurate as I can only answer "were you a man or living as such, .." as the alternative is impossible to imagine. The relevant region of the identity matrix is the intersection of socially French, culturally reserved, sweater vest, and sitting in a library/study stroking beard while mildly fascinated by absolutely everything.

Were I staying on brand: the björk. I guess. I don't even recall how I came to have a Björk avatar on INTPc, so my commitment to this may be questionable at best.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:04 pm

What do y'all feel about bidets? Do y'all have them? Tempted to get one?

We don't really do bidets in Ireland and they are not common in Chile. I think that a traditional bidet is kinda pointless, but visiting Japan was a revelation in terms of bidet toilet seats. They are the future.

I see they can be bought here too. Tempted to get one.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:14 am

I would like one. But they are not common in Canada either and my current bathroom has no room for one even if I was so inclined to pay for one to be installed.

My closest experience was in Thailand where more modern toilets have a squirt hose attachment (like on some kitchen sinks) and you just reach down and give yourself a rinse. Cleans one up better and more comfortably than t.p. although that approach can get water everywhere if you are not careful.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 pm

Senseye wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:14 am
I would like one. But they are not common in Canada either and my current bathroom has no room for one even if I was so inclined to pay for one to be installed.
You could get yourself a bidet seat that just fits on a regular toilet, Japanese style. Even better than a regular bidet I guess in that you don't have to get up or whatever. Never actually figured out how to use a regular bidet. Do you just waddle over or what? I guess you use toilet paper as a first approximation and then use the bidet?
My closest experience was in Thailand where more modern toilets have a squirt hose attachment (like on some kitchen sinks) and you just reach down and give yourself a rinse. Cleans one up better and more comfortably than t.p. although that approach can get water everywhere if you are not careful.
Yeah, those things are tricky. I think you got to be confident, like get the water at full pressure and go for it, show no weakness, no hesitation. They also use shower-like hoses for squat toilets in the Middle East. At least in airports they should provide some sort of signage or laminated manual for dumb foreigners.

Another small culture shock was here in Chile, where everything is more or less the same except that they use a bin for used toilet paper, rather than flushing it.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 pm

Utisz wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 pm
Never actually figured out how to use a regular bidet. Do you just waddle over or what? I guess you use toilet paper as a first approximation and then use the bidet?
You use toilet paper and then you sit on the bidet. And after you're done, you're supposed to use a bidet towel, and turn on the bidet rinse function to clean it for the next person. Personally I'm not sure that rinse function is enough to actually sanitize a bidet though.

Neither am I sure the position of the shower on a regular bidet is hygenic, especially for women (whoever invented bidets probably didn't think that fecal matter shouldn't be shot up a vagina). I don't think TP is enough to clean oneself (probably due to Argentine bidet culture), but I'm not sure about regular bidets either.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 pm
You use toilet paper and then you sit on the bidet. And after you're done, you're supposed to use a bidet towel
Is that towel a towel towel or a paper towel? :mellow:

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:00 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 am
Madrigal wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:24 pm
You use toilet paper and then you sit on the bidet. And after you're done, you're supposed to use a bidet towel
Is that towel a towel towel or a paper towel? :mellow:
Towel towel. :D

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:07 am

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:00 am
So y'all share the same towel towel in Argentina to dry your butt?
And y'all look down your noses at the rest of the world while you do that?

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 am

Utisz wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:07 am
Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:00 am
So y'all share the same towel towel in Argentina to dry your butt?
And y'all look down your noses at the rest of the world while you do that?
LOL. All I said is that TP isn't enough, I'm not defending bidet culture.

(If it makes any difference to you, there's a soap next to the bidet that you have to use to wash yourself with.)