Ask the forum

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Utisz

Ask the forum

Post by Utisz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 am

A question for the female members ...

If you could grow facial hair similar to men, and it was more or less socially acceptable in a similar way to how it is for men, how would you keep it? Long, unkempt and strokable? Clean shaven? A precision-engineered Franz Josef?

Here's some options for reference:

Utisz

Re: Ask the forum

Post by Utisz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Anyone allergic to mosquitos? They're not so common here, but the odd night I will wake up with swollen itchy bites. They only ever bite me. Clearly they are partial to a Château d'Irlande '85.

Any remedies? Was thinking of having antihistamine tablets handy.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:10 am
A question for the female members ...

If you could grow facial hair similar to men, and it was more or less socially acceptable in a similar way to how it is for men, how would you keep it? Long, unkempt and strokable? Clean shaven? A precision-engineered Franz Josef?
Clean shaven.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm
Anyone allergic to mosquitos? They're not so common here, but the odd night I will wake up with swollen itchy bites. They only ever bite me. Clearly they are partial to a Château d'Irlande '85.

I don't know of any remedies, but doesn't everybody get some swelling from mosquito bites?

Generally, early season bites (after their dormant winter which they have in my parts) I will get a bit more swelling, but after the first few dozen bites (it may be time gated too) they don't affect me as much.

When I have traveled, and got foreign mosquito bites, I seem to have a more pronounced reaction. Slightly different species I presume.

Just gotta live with 'em. And try not to scratch (easier said than done).

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:28 pm

Senseye wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm
Utisz wrote:

I don't know of any remedies, but doesn't everybody get some swelling from mosquito bites?

Generally, early season bites (after their dormant winter which they have in my parts) I will get a bit more swelling, but after the first few dozen bites (it may be time gated too) they don't affect me as much.
Not sure if everyone gets swelling or maybe some people don't get bitten as much. I was in Cuba for a week at a conference on a cayo (small offshore island) and I was eaten alive, like maybe 20-30 very swollen bites despite soaking myself in repellant. Of the maybe 10 other folks there I was hanging out with regularly, only two had some bites that were itching them a bit. They were horrified when I showed them my back at one stage. But they were all Latin American, so it's possible they've built up some resistance or something? Or the mosquitos see me as a more exotic vintage?

Basically not sure if the others were being bitten and just weren't reacting, or were not being bitten at all. I guess maybe a mix of both.

Spartan26

Post by Spartan26 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 am

Utisz wrote:

I have not tried it but apparently Adolph's Meat Tenderizer is a miracle worker. I don't know if you make a paste with the stuff or just rub it in to the bites dry. Maybe you can research it but a place I volunteered at that had lots of kids who have zero ability to lay off scratching found relief.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:24 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 am
Utisz wrote:

I have not tried it but apparently Adolph's Meat Tenderizer is a miracle worker. I don't know if you make a paste with the stuff or just rub it in to the bites dry. Maybe you can research it but a place I volunteered at that had lots of kids who have zero ability to lay off scratching found relief.
Wow, that's unorthodox (even the name of the product is surprising), but there's guides and papers online about its effectiveness as a remedy. Seems the same enzyme that tenderises meat also helps to stop itches (papain).

Wonder if it's possible to get something similar here (haven't seen or heard of such a product before admittedly). If it's available, will try and report back!

oxyjen

Post by oxyjen » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:00 am

Plot twist: Spartan26 is actually a cannibal, and this advice is actually meal prep.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:24 am

Just swat the mosquito with this

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:43 am

Spartan26 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 am

I wonder if just having some papaya in the freezer would help, then. Or pineapple if bromelain works as well as papain. That would be easier to find at a store.