Ask the forum

Worldly and otherworldly topics
HighlyIrregular
Formerly: BarIII

Re: Ask the forum

Post by HighlyIrregular » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:34 am

Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm
Anyone allergic to mosquitos? They're not so common here, but the odd night I will wake up with swollen itchy bites. They only ever bite me. Clearly they are partial to a Château d'Irlande '85.

Any remedies? Was thinking of having antihistamine tablets handy.
Clean bedding and showering before bed, so they won't be as attracted to you. I did some research a few years ago and I believe showering helps. At least with unscented soap.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:02 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:34 am
Clean bedding and showering before bed, so they won't be as attracted to you. I did some research a few years ago and I believe showering helps. At least with unscented soap.
Hmm. I seem to recall the opposite. Get all dirty and grimy (say by wandering around in the woods for a week) and the mosquitoes will tend to ignore you somewhat. I understand they are primarily attracted to CO2 (at a distance) and body heat once they have zoned in, so you are kind of screwed regardless.

Utisz

Post by Utisz » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:02 am

Didn't realise it, but have been trying both approaches all my life, for science.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:07 am

How do you remember to turn clocks forward and back? I don't mean spring forward fall back, I mean do you rely on a TV show to tell you?

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:33 am

I asked this on the old forum and got no replies but I still think about it. Where do you cut your toenails? I've been putting my foot over the bathroom sink but I often miss when a clipping goes flying. I don't think that method is safe. You could be 80 years old and tweak the foot you're standing on and fall on the hard floor.

SomeInternetBloke
Formerly: Makes Sense

Post by SomeInternetBloke » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:45 am

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:33 am
I asked this on the old forum and got no replies but I still think about it. Where do you cut your toenails? I've been putting my foot over the bathroom sink but I often miss when a clipping goes flying. I don't think that method is safe. You could be 80 years old and tweak the foot you're standing on and fall on the hard floor.
I think you should build a contraption and make money on it. The market is wide open. Passive income baby!
"My favourite song from one of my favourite albums, Nena asking you to please, please let her be your pirate. So smooth and joyful, I have to listen to it three times if I listen once" - ashi

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:23 am

Over the toilet with foot on seat is popular here. Maybe I'll switch to that. I withdraw the question. Got enough answers.

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:14 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:07 am
How do you remember to turn clocks forward and back? I don't mean spring forward fall back, I mean do you rely on a TV show to tell you?
Need something to remind me. Or auto update things (like smartphone, pc) to cause me to notice the difference between my devices and any non updating time sources I look at (night stand clock, thermostat clock, and I still have one wall clock in the kitchen).

I can't recall specific instances of showing up for work one hour astray due to a clock change, although I believe it happened to me at least a couple times during my life. I'm plenty absent minded in general.

HighlyIrregular

Post by HighlyIrregular » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:34 pm

Do you have a kitchen draw dedicated to non-kitchen related items?

HighlyIrregular II
Formerly: BarII

Post by HighlyIrregular II » Sun May 21, 2023 4:41 pm

HighlyIrregular wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:34 am
Utisz wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:43 pm
...mosquitos..
Yeah. https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/19/world/mo ... index.html
The mosquitoes were most attracted to airborne carboxylic acids, including butyric acid, a compound present in “stinky” cheeses such as Limburger. These carboxylic acids are produced by bacteria on human skin and tend not to be noticeable to us.

While carboxylic acids attracted the mosquitoes, the insects seemed to be deterred by another chemical called eucalyptol, which is present in plants. The researchers suspected that one sample with a high eucalyptol concentration might have been related to the diet of one of the participants.
Senseye wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:02 pm
Hmm. I seem to recall the opposite. Get all dirty and grimy (say by wandering around in the woods for a week) and the mosquitoes will tend to ignore you somewhat.
Yes, maybe if you brush against plants. I may look up the article to see what else they're repelled by.