Ask the forum

Worldly and otherworldly topics
Madrigal

Re: Ask the forum

Post by Madrigal » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm

Ah, yes, camping. Nope. Somehow pretending to be homeless in the wilderness doesn't really beckon me as a fun time.

djm
Formerly: djm

Post by djm » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:18 pm

Madrigal wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:47 pm
Ah, yes, camping. Nope. Somehow pretending to be homeless in the wilderness doesn't really beckon me as a fun time.
I used to enjoy it when I was younger and poor. These days I prefer my camping in an Intercontinental, where I can drink cocktails on the roof under the stars before retiring to a nice comfy bed!

I do enough roughing it anyways, as my work takes me into rural areas where things like a mattress or electricity are not always a given. I like to end any trip with a little opulence.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:37 am

last_caress wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:01 pm
I made this mistake when I was cutting lawns for a summer job many years ago. Had to wiz and stepped into some foliage to do so. Some time later it became very clear that the dangly bits had contacted the leaves of three.
Damn. How did you treat it? I'm not sure that I've ever actually had a poison ivy rash (that was a joke), but I can't imagine it's pleasant, let alone on that region.

I've used these a lot in the desert. Fortunately toilet paper was available. It would actually be tucked behind some hills or something and it was rather pleasant, I thought.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:53 am

Senseye wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:55 pm
I have used leaves/grass on the odd occasion. For camping, I now consider TP an essential item, but one can still get caught out if on a hike or something. Generally there are lakes/rivers in the area so in a desperate situation there is always a dip in one of them for a better clean up, although this can be a chilly affair depending on the time of year/location.
Now I'm wondering if someone has invented a portable bidet for camping. Would it be possible to get enough water pressure from a hand pump? I'm saying this as someone who has only heard magical fables and tales of bidets, and never actually used one.

I would actually prefer bidets (at least in theory) if I had the choice between the two. TP seems a little wasteful to me, and it seems ickier to me than just spraying water there. To me the bidet seems more sanitary, ecological, and easier on the plumbing.

last_caress

Post by last_caress » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:09 pm

Julius_Van_Der_Beak wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:37 am
last_caress wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:01 pm
I made this mistake when I was cutting lawns for a summer job many years ago. Had to wiz and stepped into some foliage to do so. Some time later it became very clear that the dangly bits had contacted the leaves of three.
Damn. How did you treat it? I'm not sure that I've ever actually had a poison ivy rash (that was a joke), but I can't imagine it's pleasant, let alone on that region.
Just imagine the times your nuts have itched bad and multiply it x10 for a few weeks. I don't remember what I did to treat it other than sit in front of a tv with no pants whenever possible.

Roger Mexico

Post by Roger Mexico » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:40 am

Ive never been anywhere near a bidet in my life.

For this reason, a now-bothersome thought had never even occurred to me until I heard someone else bring it up recently:

So, am I correctly understanding how this works? After using a bidet, your bungholical region is now (theoretically, to some extent) clean, but also wet?

Do you also need a second device which blows hot air over your butthole while you spread your butt cheeks apart until it's dry?

Or is there, like, a towel you keep next to your toilet to rub on your butthole after bideting it, which has also presumably been rubbed on the buttholes of anyone else who has used the same toilet in the span of time since you last laundered or replaced the towel?

Or do you still need to have toilet paper, albeit for wiping off bidet water as opposed to just using the paper for the same purpose the bidet serves?

Or do people in communist countries just get used to walking around with wet butt cracks all day?

Senseye

Post by Senseye » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 am

I have no first hand experience myself, but I imagine you just let your crack air dry and/or just let your underpants wick residual moisture away.

I mean, I towel my butt (along with the rest of me) off after a shower, but I don't make a point of getting right up the crack or anything. Just a general dry and I get dressed and don't give it any more thought.

OTOH, if water is dripping down your leg or something it would need to be addressed. Maybe a towel for that. One could daub with some good quality toilet paper too I suppose. It shouldn't disintegrate if it isn't the low budget 1-ply.

But you'll need a bidet practitioner to clear this up I believe. The towel notion does seem a bit off putting, but it's not clear to me quite how clean one ends up after bidet use.

ashi

Post by ashi » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:45 am

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:53 am
Senseye wrote:
I have used leaves/grass on the odd occasion. For camping, I now consider TP an essential item, but one can still get caught out if on a hike or something. Generally there are lakes/rivers in the area so in a desperate situation there is always a dip in one of them for a better clean up, although this can be a chilly affair depending on the time of year/location.
Now I'm wondering if someone has invented a portable bidet for camping. Would it be possible to get enough water pressure from a hand pump?
A bidet proper would be wildly impractical and expensive, so I am sure it exists. But there are reasonable options for a shattaf/hand sprayer with a water pump and heater powered by a vehicle's 12v system or a stand alone camp battery.

Or I guess spend $5 on a squeezable water bottle.

Madrigal

Post by Madrigal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 am

Roger Mexico wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:40 am

Or do people in communist countries just get used to walking around with wet butt cracks all day?
Senseye wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:07 am
But you'll need a bidet practitioner to clear this up I believe. The towel notion does seem a bit off putting, but it's not clear to me quite how clean one ends up after bidet use.
I think I said it in the thread. The bidet has two things on the walls next to it. A soap holder and a towel holder. Yes, everyone uses the same towel. No, I don't think that's hygenic, or other things about bidets, for that matter (I think they can be a UTI risk for women). However, water is a great idea.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Post by Julius_Van_Der_Beak » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am

ashi wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:45 am
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:53 am
Senseye wrote:
Now I'm wondering if someone has invented a portable bidet for camping. Would it be possible to get enough water pressure from a hand pump?
A bidet proper would be wildly impractical and expensive, so I am sure it exists. But there are reasonable options for a shattaf/hand sprayer with a water pump and heater powered by a vehicle's 12v system or a stand alone camp battery.

Or I guess spend $5 on a squeezable water bottle.
That hand sprayer looks pretty interesting. I like the idea of engineering solutions to problems like this.